Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 07:14PM

what is the current position of lds inc on cremation? plz provide source.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 07:20PM

"Where there is no overriding reason to cremate, burial is still the preferred method of handling our dead. In the end, however, we should remember that the resurrection will take place by the power of God, who created the heavens and the earth. Ultimately, whether a person’s body was buried at sea, destroyed in combat or an accident, intentionally cremated, or buried in a grave, the person will be resurrected."

Source: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1991/08/i-have-a-question/do-latter-day-saints-practice-cremation?lang=eng

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 07:48PM

From the CHI

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/38-church-policies-and-guidelines?lang=eng

Burial and Cremation
The family of the deceased person decides whether his or her body should be buried or cremated. They respect the desires of the individual.

In some countries, the law requires cremation. In other cases, burial is not practical or affordable for the family. In all cases, the body should be treated with respect and reverence. Members should be reassured that the power of the Resurrection always applies (see Alma 11:42–45).

Where possible, the body of a deceased member who has been endowed should be dressed in ceremonial temple clothing when it is buried or cremated (see 38.5.8).

A funeral or memorial service provides an opportunity for families to gather and perpetuate family relations and values.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 08:04PM

LDS Church Response:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1991/08/i-have-a-question/do-latter-day-saints-practice-cremation?lang=eng

“We reaffirm the perspective that the body is good and, as a creation of God, is to be respected. But as the Church has moved into nations other than the United States, there has been recognition that cultural practices differ. Generally, Latter-day Saints in the Western world have felt that nothing should be done which is destructive to the body. That should be left to nature. Church leaders have counseled that only in unusual circumstances or where required by law should cremation take place.

“Ultimately, after consultation with the Lord and with priesthood leaders, the family must decide what to do. If the person has been endowed, some special instructions are available for the family from local priesthood leaders. Even if a body is cremated, a funeral service may be held if the ashes are buried or deposited in a mausoleum.

“Where there is no overriding reason to cremate, burial is still the preferred method of handling our dead. In the end, however, we should remember that the resurrection will take place by the power of God, who created the heavens and the earth. Ultimately, whether a person’s body was buried at sea, destroyed in combat or an accident, intentionally cremated, or buried in a grave, the person will be resurrected.”

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 10:37PM

But no divine word on the new trend of cremation followed by turning said ashes into gemstones.

Imagine ressurection day and grandpa appears in a puff of smoke as grandkids diamond ring dissapears.

I had fun with this in church.

What about people atomised in a nuclear war?

What about people torn apart and eaten by wild animals?

What about missionaries eaten by cannibals?

I was a terror in sunday school.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 11:44PM

At one time dad wanted me to promise him I wouldn't be cremated when I die...and I did...and both my parents died and were buried. Fast forward 25 years and my wife was dying and told me she wanted cremation. She got her wish. And I will follow her example and get toasted and my ashes interred next to hers. Dad would understand.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:57AM

'Answers to Gospel Questions' in the Ensign had a stark disclaimer (paraphrase) 'answers given here are NOT official church doctrine and should not be regarded as such'.

WTF??? people want answers that's why they submit questions (D'oh)

members seem to be finding out that one answer from one Bp or SP isn't necessarily what the person from across the street in a different ward or stake is going to get! So, they WANT OFFICIAL CHURCH ANSWERS / GUIDANCE ON MATTERS THEY CONSIDER IMPORTANT!!!

DOUBLE D'OH!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:19AM

Do what you think is reasonable. What are they going to do? Refuse to sell you garments or something?

Source: me

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 10:14AM

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/freeze-drying-dead-bodies-could-be-the-future-of-cremation/
Would far prefer the method of Quick freeze & shaking as in the above link.

Second option would be leaving the body outside for natural decomposition, eating by animals and insects, ect. as some do. Usually associated with medical/University studies of some sort.

Why would I want to be buried?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:24PM

> Second option would be leaving the body outside
> for natural decomposition, eating by animals and
> insects, ect. as some do. Usually associated with
> medical/University studies of some sort.

Indeed! I want to be given a Tibetan Sky Burial. Ashes to ashes, life to life.

And what's the church's position on the Parsi Tower of Silence?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:32PM

>> Indeed! I want to be given a Tibetan Sky Burial. Ashes to ashes, life to life. <<

Me too! Sky burial is my first choice. Chop me up and feed me to the birds out back by the creek. Second would be a funeral pyre over a huge burn pile out in my front yard.

Date: March 28, 2022 05:35PM

Johnny the Smoke would surely have opted for cremation.

Date: March 28, 2022 06:58PM

And Roy G Biv is like unto a rainbow, which lives in the sky with the birds. You never know, a bird could poop out some me after my sky burial, and it could land on your car just after you washed it as a sign that I am happy after death.

Date: March 28, 2022 09:34PM

What makes you think I own a car?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 06:59PM

Ick, you guys. None of it sounds that appealing to me. I don't like the fire option but the decay way is just not me. Insects are not my favourite creatures. And putrefaction is just ugh. I was looking into the water method. I forget the details now but I've read that at least it's quick.

Posted by: Debdd ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 03:55PM

Just wondering, why would they want a deceased person to wear G's before cremation? If said clothing is going to be rather quickly singed and destroyed?

Date: March 28, 2022 04:09PM

Not sure if they cremate with Gs on. But if they did, only the head, arms, and legs from the knees down would burn. Wouldn't fit in the urn. :)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 05:30PM

Would they bury what was left? I don’t know, I’m stumped. ;)

Date: March 28, 2022 05:34PM

Oh, that is very, very good!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 06:46PM

Not prohibited, but leaders discourage it, so prohibited with extra steps. Apparently, it's easier to resurrect bodies that decayed thousands of years ago than cremated remains.

Not sure how the Morg would feel about my request for my body to be used for decor inspired by the Sedlec Ossuary.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 07:28PM

Cremains

Yrs ago the GAs suggested that cremation was OK in countries that ‘didn’t have room for cemeteries’ which was an obvious reference to Japan but subtly acknowledging their cultural traditions…

just sayin’

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 07:32PM by GNPE.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 08:53PM

Before my mother died (in Utah), she made it clear that she wanted to be cremated.

Her wishes were granted, but no one was home when they came to leave the metal container in which her ashes were placed, which was in front of one of our siblings' door.

As it appears, they felt they could safely do so without someone stealing the container--which couldn't be said of some places, like Los Angeles ("The City of the Angeles".)

By far the worst of this option took place on a slightly declining hill, was that the lid quickly fell off--which emptied its contents--and a breeze blew the ashes onto family members was a big problem--namely onto me! It was awful!

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 09:50PM

There are increasing numbers of articles appearing today that point out how bad cremation is for the environment. For those who don't want traditional burial, there are today three alternatives to cremation that do not harm the environment. They are increasingly readily available. They are:

Aquamation

Natural (Green) Burial

Natural Organic Reduction

I look for these to eventually completely replace cremation. And as of now, if one has ready access to one or more of these methods, I don't know how he or she can claim to care about the environment and still choose cremation.

Personally, I think natural organic reduction is the most desirable, since the end result is soil, without anything left that can be identified as human.

There are videos and information on the internet about all of these, but here is a link to a video about natural organic reduction that some may find interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJSEZ_pl3Y&t=677s

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 06:02PM

I still have a hard time with the idea of cremation. I couldn't get my dogs cremated. Then my last mormon sister told me that she wants to be cremated and put into her husband's casket. I was in shock. We assume he will die first as he has a family history of younger deaths.

So now I've been thinking about it and my "husband" just said something about it yesterday and we picked a place very dear to our hearts to have our ashes scattered.

If we had bought plots by my parents, I'd be buried there. But I don't like just buying a plot somewhere like here in Hyrum where nobody knows me (not like I care). I'm absolutely not have a funeral or an obituary. I don't want people reading about me or having them hang around my dead body, giving talks about how wonderful I really wasn't. I only want my kids to scatter my ashes.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 08:07PM

My LDS grandpa passed away 4 years ago and he choose to be cremated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.