Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 11:18AM

https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/will-smiths-apology-at-the-oscars-was-a-faith-based-defense-of-bad-behavior/

“Richard Williams was a fierce defender of his family. In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world…

I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people. I know to do what we do, you got to be able to take abuse, you got to be able to have people talk crazy about you. In this business you got to be able to have people disrespecting you, and you got to smile and pretend like that’s OK. But Richard Williams, and what I loved — thank you, D. — Denzel [Washington] said to me a few minutes ago, he said, “At your highest moment, be careful. That’s when the devil comes for you.”

It’s like, I want to be a vessel for love…

I want to apologize to the Academy. I want to apologize to all my fellow nominees… Art imitates life. I look like the crazy father, just like they said. I look like the crazy father, just like they said about Richard Williams. But love will make you do crazy things.“

God made me do it?
Love? Slapping a comedian for a bad joke is love?
Is this the new normal?
Adults feeling justified in slapping comedians for their bad jokes on international TV?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:45PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 11:42AM

At first Will Smith laughed. Then . . .

I thought the whole thing was pretty bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:45PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 12:18PM

Kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At first Will Smith laughed. Then . . .

…he took one look at Jada, who was having none of it..
…then he slapped the sh!t out of Chris Rock,
….then won his first Oscar and gave an emotional speech
…where he blamed God and Love for slapping the sh!t out of Chris Rock. And he appologized to everybody EXCEPT Chris Rock!
I guess Everybody really does hate Chris!

> I thought the whole thing was pretty bad.

Wait’ll Next Awards show when Ye slaps the sh!t out of Pete Davidson on live TV!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:46PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 12:22PM

SC, What's your opinion of it all ?

Date: March 28, 2022 12:59PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> SC, What's your opinion of it all ?

We live in one crazy world.

It reminded me of Kanye grabbing the Mic from Taylor Swift and saying she didn’t deserve her Grammy, and there were zero consequences, because, rich and powerful people are not subject to the same laws and rules as the rest of us.

And there will be zero consequences for Will slapping Chris, for the same reason. I just wonder what is the line? Can Kanye just walk up and punch Pete Davidson in the face on live TV at an awards show and get away with it?

Probably so.

Date: March 28, 2022 01:11PM

Yes, it reminded me also of Kanye grabbing the mic from Taylor Swift.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:47PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 01:23PM

That wasn't assault though. To let this go implies physical violence acceptable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:47PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 02:26PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> That wasn't assault though. To let this go implies
> physical violence acceptable.

Exactly, but now that the Academy set a precedence and will do nothing but give Smith an award, does that make every comedian fair game, if they offend a more powerful man, do they get punched in the face with zero repercussions?

Apparently so.

So where’s the line?

What if Will Smith had knocked Chris Rock out cold?
Or Dave Chappell?

It’s coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:48PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:43PM

We don't know that nobody's going to do anything. There will likely be some repercussions but it may take a day or two.

The best apology that comes across as accepting responsibility and not casting blame or making justifications is one that doesn't include excuses or defensive statements. Just I did it. I was wrong. I am sorry. I will try not to repeat the error.

Or something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:48PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Miss Manners ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:42PM

Decorum, please, gentlemen.

Settle your differences like civilized people.

Duel at dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:49PM by Tevai.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:43PM

Don't know much about Will Smith but if I were to be judged by every crass or hurtful, spur of the moment comment I have made in life I suspect I would be in a pretty lonely place. But then, so would we all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:49PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 06:19PM

Comment, yeah, I bet even the pope and the prophet [tongue in cheek] lash out at times. Nobody's perfect, as they say.

But I can't imagine most of us, especially Kentish the Gentleman, laying one on somebody except perhaps in a severely challenging situation. Such as self defence perhaps.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 07:10PM

I have my moments, Nightingale. For whatever reason Smith allowed his anger to get the better of him. By the time of his acceptance his guilt over his action had got the better of him and he stumbled through what at times was a rambling justification/apology. I certainly have been there and have been the beneficial recipient of gracious forgiveness. I reject the referenced article in the opening post. Smith may be used to reading prepared lines but he is human enough to poorly word an emotional response to his feeling of guilt just like the rest of us.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 09:04PM

You just need more tea :)

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 11:27PM

Don't we all.

Posted by: wolfjr ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 12:57PM

Tough to watch a guy that you've always rooted for (for like 30 or 40 years) do something stupid on what ought to be the biggest showcase night of a long and successful career in show business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:50PM by Tevai.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 01:40PM

So instead of Smith getting arrested for assault, a few minutes afterwards, he receives Oscar for best actor and gives a tearful speech about love and being a protector. He really is a good actor; after all, actors, politicians and car salesman have to be excellent liars to be the best in their profession.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:50PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 01:46PM

+1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:51PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 01:54PM

And partied afterwards.

I can't say much - didn't watch and don't see all that many movies. Don't keep up with Hollywood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:51PM by Tevai.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:02PM

in b 4 ~ OPie promotes some staged media narrative ~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:52PM by Tevai.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:09PM

Lots of 'excuses' for harming others these days, that's very saddening in itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:53PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 02:15PM

I hate it when men go all crazy just because a woman gets a snitty look on her face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:53PM by Tevai.

Date: March 28, 2022 03:00PM

It could be a case of let's pull this stunt and see how the world reacts. Race may be at play here. The possibility that this is a statement more than an incident is not completely impossible.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 04:06PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
Race may be at play
> here.

Huh? This is a black on black A&B. I didn't take the "Applied Critical Race Theory" elective.

> The possibility that this is a statement
> more than an incident is not completely
> impossible.

And what statement would that be? "You insulted my wife. Take this, suck-ah!"

I'm still amazed at SC's original post (top) that somehow this is God's will. It seems that somebody blogged that he felt it was his spiritual duty to protect his family. (I agree, but only regarding genuine danger.) From that, we learn that the Smit believes this includes protecting your wife from a bad joke by slugging the "comic." Thus, it's "divinely sanctioned," or something--one more reason for atheists to hate Christianity.

Okay, got it. That's as sensible as a CNN "analyst" blaming an out-of-office politician, whom I cannot name.

Flip Wilson's character "Geraldine" always quipped, "The Devil made me do it!" Now people blame God.

Date: March 28, 2022 05:32PM

I don't know what your screed even means. Obviously, you don't count possibly race at play and this being fake news. Got it.

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:18PM

Hollywood is not sublime anymore. The actors are to much business for me. Movies do not change the world or settle new mental worlds. Star Wars spinoffs do not seem to stop. It is business and not a portal to an cultural inner world. Sad that I lost the feeling. No Field of Dreams whispering because nothing can be built.

Spielbergs Super 8 (2011 film) was the last Hollywood attempt I can remember that caught my attention.

Will Smiths antics was just an act that describes the spirit of times. Entitlement. Enabling by the others involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 02:54PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 02:58PM

I'm just happy I can cancel my subscription to the National Enquirer!

Posted by: Batboy ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 04:26PM

Date: March 28, 2022 05:13PM

Was that the one with the Page Three Girls?

Date: March 28, 2022 05:28PM

What if Rock had insulted Alec Baldwin's wife? That would have been hilarias!

The problem is that already people are imitating this and, um, taking things into their own hands:

https://babylonbee.com/news/john-macarthur-charges-lakewood-church-stage-to-slap-joel-osteen

Date: March 28, 2022 05:32PM

I don’t know who McArthur is, but that’s Ezra Taft Benson.

Date: March 28, 2022 05:47PM

Has his own translation with study notes, and established a college and seminary in California. I'd describe his theology as "soft Calvinism."

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 09:48PM

He's a serious antivaxer and covid denier/spreader. Typical evangelical asshat.

"L.A. megachurch pastor mocks pandemic health orders, even as church members fall ill"

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-08/la-pastor-mocks-covid-19-rules-church-members-ill

Date: March 28, 2022 09:51PM

Well, I guess he makes Olsteen look good. That's something, I guess. . .

Date: March 28, 2022 06:19PM

caffiend Wrote:
> What if Rock had insulted Alec Baldwin's wife?
> That would have been hilarias!

What if he would have insulted Ted Cruz’s wife!
That would have been hilarious.
He’d be licking his boots right about now!

> The problem is that already people are imitating
> this and, um, taking things into their own hands:
>
> https://babylonbee.com/news/john-macarthur-charges
> -lakewood-church-stage-to-slap-joel-osteen

Does anybody else get the feeling we are all being punk’d?

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 29, 2022 12:49PM

https://babylonbee.com/about

"What is The Babylon Bee?
The Babylon Bee is the world’s best satire site, totally inerrant in all its truth claims. We write satire about Christian stuff, political stuff, and everyday life."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 03:13PM

I think the incident was a perfect illustration of the suppressed anger and rage that sits under the veneer of our civilized society. The world we cherish and worked so hard for is unraveling before our eyes.

Lots of people are on edge. Will Smith expressed how they are feeling. It had nothing to do with Jade, that was just the trigger.

Fear is in the air. It's so easy to give in to it, but it's a trap. The choice between fear and love needs to be a conscious one. Otherwise, we all walk around with hair triggers.

Date: March 28, 2022 05:34PM

Civilized society? As opposed to uncivilized peoples?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 06:13PM

I wouldn't take bradley too serious, Elder Berry; he seems to think all our problems can be solved with happy thoughts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 07:19PM

Chris Rock is not without blame, but the incident shows why I take less and less interest in Hollywood's antics.

Will Smith has a lot of power in the industry, I would think much more so than Chris Rock. I was thinking how much more powerful it would have been if Smith had just ignored Rock, and given him the cut direct (and then gone off to plot his revenge.)

I was glad that Jessica Chastain won her award. IMO she had deserved it for Zero Dark Thirty, so this one was overdue.

Date: March 28, 2022 08:47PM

Will Smith was not protecting his wife he was protecting his fragile masculinity,
Which expressed itself toxically because that is how we have allowed it to be expressed, without consequences.

Date: March 28, 2022 10:45PM

[I'm embarrassed to admit I'm following this more than I should--like slowing down to watch a car wreck in the opposite lanes, and have no impact on me and my direction.]

I now know that Will Smith is openly cuckolded by his wife. Not being a psychologist with clinical knowledge of their marriage, it could well be that this insult, lame joke that it was, was his last straw and he felt he had to do something--SOMEthing!

Bitter fruits of the sexual revolution.

Date: March 28, 2022 11:06PM

"Bitter fruits of the sexual revolution"

Uh, no. Childish man that chose not to control himself. Period.

I hope they charge him with assault and ban him from attending in the future. You have no right to put your hands on someone. Period.

What ever situation he has in his marriage is his decision, If he has a problem with it, I am sure he knows where the door is.

If you think that women didn't do what they wanted with their bodies pre 1960s you need to broaden your scope of study.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 11:42PM

I suspect your comments reflect your own issues with keeping women controlled.

Date: March 28, 2022 11:44PM

Or the illusion of it.

Date: March 29, 2022 01:29PM

caffiend Wrote:
> I now know that Will Smith is openly cuckolded by
> his wife.

What?

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 11:52PM

Hollywood plays by different rules.

I look at this more like a football game.

Date: March 29, 2022 11:59AM

I was thinking professional wrestling but on a stage of far more influence. That is what saddens me. Now it is acceptable to be violent. No more drinkng ala a star is born but the guy acting out gets an award.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: March 29, 2022 01:05PM

What if JADA had walked up there and slapped Chris Rock? I doubt anyone would have had an issue with that...

Date: March 29, 2022 01:12PM

I would have. Violence on that stage with no repercussion.

Date: March 29, 2022 08:01PM

Or anywhere else. I stand by what I said above. The fact that she is a woman and the one actually wronged changes nothing. You don't put your hands on people. Period.

Date: March 29, 2022 08:17PM

There is such a thing as ‘fightin words’, like a moon landing conspiracy theorist calling Buzz Aldrin a liar, after the third time Buzz warned him to back off. Buzz punched the guy in the face and the judge said he had it coming.
Short of that though, you are likely to end up in jail, if you’re not rich and famous.

Date: March 29, 2022 09:11PM

IMO, the judge was wrong. Take him to court. You don't have the right to put your hands on someone period.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: March 29, 2022 09:14PM

Yeah, when Will Smith got that oscar and started his speech, I totally lost any respect left that I had for him at that point. What a cop-out to blame god and the devil for your actions, no?

What I think right now is the most over-looked aspect of this whole incident is that in reality, Chris Rock fired off an ok joke, but a wonderful complement to Jada. Not many people can sport a bald head and look good or even better while doing it.

But there are those folks who can such as Telly Savalas, Issac Hayes, The Rock, Vin Diesel, Demi Moore in G.I. Jane and Jada looks so beautiful. Her facial characteristics stand out more and accentuate her beauty more elegantly.

I think Jada and Will really missed a lovely complement made by Chris Rock. She could easily be a gorgeous G.I. Jane II. It was a great pitch for another movie featuring a beautiful and talented female such as Jada. Too bad people are thinned skinned.

Am I wrong?

Date: March 29, 2022 09:42PM

onthedownlow Wrote:
> Am I wrong?

No.

Date: March 29, 2022 09:23PM

They spent millions advertising on the Oscars, and Smith & Rock sure raised the awareness level of a lot of people on this condition. "Ask your doctor if Pfeizer Alopi*Con is right for you!"

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 29, 2022 09:37PM

How that audience proceeded to stand and applaud Will Smith mere minutes after witnessing him assaulting someone tells you a lot about today’s Hollywood and MSM. “Spineless,” as Jim Carrey opined. Also:

"I'd have announced this morning that I was suing Will for $200 million because that video was going to be there forever," said Carrey. "It's going to be ubiquitous. You know, that insult is going to last a very long time. If you want to yell from the audience and disapprove or show a disapproval or say something on Twitter or whatever — you do not have the right to walk up on stage and smack somebody in the face because they said words."

And forgive me for pointing this out, but on Twitter yesterday I saw ten of thousands of likes for variations of, “Dave Chappelle, you’re next!”

Date: March 29, 2022 09:45PM

We're stuck with words hurting people even if those words weren't hurtful. It is a strange place to be where I think Jim Carrey is right and Will Smith is wrong. I guess age changes people.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 30, 2022 06:30AM

The whole thing was fake. Men don't bitch slap when you insult their wife. It was a lame publicity stunt. it got everyone talking about the Oscars when their ratings were down.

Date: March 30, 2022 09:52AM

And it wasn't an insult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.