Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 05:31PM

Even Mormons don't want to be "Mormon" any more.

These days, Raël is more of a prophet than the Mormon one.

LD$, Inc. only needs The Church™ as a tax-exempt fig leaf.

Mormonism is just a kooky cult in the Inter-Mountain West in the USA with a few international "members" i.e. marks, and there's no growth. Just enough births and inflow to keep the numbers stable -- for now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 05:42PM

Mormonism IS the shark.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 06:06PM

Who was closest to being a Fonz? Donnie Osmond? Yup, the high water mark was 50 years ago. The church is drying up like the Great Salt Lake.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 07:30PM

The church jumped the shark even before its official founding, with the initial story of God the Father and his son Jesus appearing to J. S., and even more so when J.S. told others about The Angel Moroni and The Golden Plates.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 08:26PM

Posted by: bobt ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 07:35PM

With the amount of wealth the morman church is holding I don't think they need many "real" members. Imaginary members keep the body count up and never do or say anything embarrassing. After Stone Soup gets going they don't need the stones.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2022 12:13AM

Running the church part is still profitable. The leaders still wield incredible control over a few million members. They just can’t give it up.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 06, 2022 11:50PM

I think the Flaming-Sword Angel takes the prize for shark jumping.

Was Smith never embarrassed ?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2022 04:02PM

I think it clearly jumped within a 5 year period (1997-2002).

Not in chronological order: The Hinckley interview where he denied the most basic Mormon doctrine- becoming God, denying that he is a prophet, downplaying revelations.

The internet: Church really lost their ability to lie. The BoM has been squelched during General Conference.

Jesus didn't show up for the new Millennium. All the effort to prepare for the end of world has been hushed and downplayed.

Members who thought God would warn his profits about 9-11 and wars were dumbfounded. GBH gave a post 9-11, aw bad things sometimes happen talk.

I don't think Monson made much of an "impact-impression" as THE PROPHET and he's remembered as the Let's Go Shopping City Creek Mall guy.

And I would argue that Nelson is the greatest Anti-Mormon leader in church history.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 09, 2022 01:07PM

I'm looking for the passage now to give it proper citation, but the two-year food storage recommendation (commandment), which lasted up at least into the 1970s was to save Joseph Smith from starving while holed up in Nauvoo for two years (his estimate) to defeat the United States Army.

Per my reading, that's how the food storage gig began.

My family stored food while we were snowed in --not while we were trying to assassinate Governor Boggs.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 08, 2022 06:42PM

In my opinion, regarding donation's to it, I think the church does OK, especially when compared with funds expected to be given by other churches.

'taint no church that is perfect.

As for myself---I haven't been to church for a long time, but that doesn't stop them from offering to help me, if I need it.

Furthermore, when I went to see my granddaughter speak regarding her coming mission service (In Holland!), very many people came over to speak to me with their best wishes, ignoring my non-attendance state of being---and that I had on nice slacks, instead of a dress--of which I no longer own.

For instance, I now have a new "minister" assigned to me (no longer called the Relief Society). As we talked on my porch, she offered to take me to anyplace I wanted to go. And I gave her several oranges and lemons from my back-yard trees.

IMO, I am happy to met new friends, especially those offering to help me, if needed--like (perhaps) driving me to the See's Candy store in our area??

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 09, 2022 05:23PM

Everywhere but Utah, Idaho and Arizona.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.