Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: April 12, 2022 06:58PM

I realized this week, while I was visiting with another ex-Mormon, that, sometimes as exmos we retain the ability and the arguments that hold mormonism together.

I have found that instead of arguing what the word of wisdom was really about, it is easier and less burdensome to realize that there is no Word of Wisdom, given to anyone. Same with Polygamy, the plates, Mesoamerican Jews, the original Smith revelations vs Youngs lies...they were all lies.

Once we moved from Utah we realized we don't have to carry any munition to deal with Mormons. They have been so reduced in their grandstanding by the internet and common decency that I don't need remember their current position on LGBT or whether this week they get planets or not.

Once you deal with them on these terms, that of, you are telling me a made up fantasy so don't expect me to join you in caring, they go back to where they belong, in the pile of made religions that are now an embarrassment to themselves.

It is crazy, now, to think about the fact they they pay well trained "apologists" people whose sole calling in life is to soften the obvious and try to ride their tapirs to the unknowable and therefore plausible territory.

I always end my Mormon conversations with yeah, its all true if you ignore all the lies, got it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: April 12, 2022 07:07PM

For me, being an atheist helped a lot. Like, "First, prove to me that god exists, THEN we'll get to Mormonism." And also realizing that most theist beliefs are emotionally held, so, really, you can bring up evidence all day and get "yeah buts" nonstop. Because they don't have good reasons. It's just a story they want to be true.

Which is fine. Because my nonbelief is emotional also. "Even if you were to prove god exists, you will never convince me to worship it. I will never worship anyone or anything."

It kind of deflates the discussion. And if it doesn't, "No. Seriously. You don't want me to talk about this. I WILL hurt your feelings."

Date: April 13, 2022 12:39PM

Brilliantly put: "Because they don't have good reasons. It's just a story they want to be true."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2022 09:27PM

The thing about children of a gay parent or parents Sealed the Deal for a lot of folks…

just sayin’

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 13, 2022 10:40AM

of my life, they not only didn't have an answer, they had the wrong answer. You can fight it all you want, but truth wins out.

Right now I'm dealing with being fellowshipped. I'm so happy???????? I just have to ignore them. I've had the gay talk with them. They still think someone chooses to be gay.

Date: April 13, 2022 12:37PM

One of my least favorite Mormon features is that they claim to both know the answer while claiming them not knowing anything fir sure is an exciting feature of the religion. in between, they take every stance in every position for every topic, while having an unchanging gospel.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: April 13, 2022 05:04PM

I get the refellowshipping too, recently the bishop came by and went right into the questions he started with 'just how old are you' not a polite question from someone I've never met, then onto what I do with myself etc.. I was polite though. You expect these sorts of things in mormondom, no surprises, just disappointment.

Date: April 13, 2022 09:11PM

I had the m show up demanding to talk to my teens. I was like nope, they were yeah but I am the bishop and they are on the roster!

I said I don't care which neighborhood wizard power you have, they are minors and I am their dad and you leave now.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 13, 2022 12:33PM

Mormonism is my religious hobby.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 05:08AM

to its MOReMONey for them profit motive

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.