Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 09:16PM

Back in my school years (60's) we were strongly discouraged from wearing crosses. I never owned any cross jewelry.

Today, a BYU player (Allgeier) got drafted into the NFL and when he was interviewed his cross was big and prominent. I don't know if he is a member but he was on the football team. It was just an observation and I wondered if there would be any scolding from his minders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 09:25PM

Discouraged? Are you kidding me? That would have been a spanking infraction!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 09:34PM

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2021/09/04/tyler-allgeier-is-cougars/

"It’s a religious school. I’m not LDS, but I actually felt the spirit and I thought it was the right choice for me to come here.”

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 09:49PM

The church used to freak out if a convert said God bless you or may God bless you. It was considered taking the lord's name in vain- blasphemy.

So wearing a cross was considered sacrilege and people would receive an explicit warning to not wear one.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 09:57PM

Yup. We worship the living Christ not a dead one.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 10:38PM

Wearing torture devices as jewelry is a little creepy, no?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 12:26PM

Kinda like a fan of JFK wearing a little rifle around their neck.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 07:53PM

That's the stance the COJCOLDS has always taken.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 10:40PM

One time I was in a Mormon Sunday School class when a recent convert walked in wearing a silver cross. You would have thought the class was full of vampires the way everyone shied away from her.
Someone must have given her 'the talk' as she never wore the cross again for the short time she stayed active.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 02, 2022 12:57AM

I suppose a ceramic mug with crosses on it and filled with black coffee would be an especially effective Mormon repellant.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 11:52PM

I have a little silver cross that my parents gave me for Christmas when I was 15 years old.

Most of the people at my former place of employment were LDS.

Two years before I took my early retirement, I wore my little silver cross often to work. It was amusing to watch their different reactions the first couple times I wore it.

Some looked at me like I was a dragon coming after them. Others were more nonchalant and it didn’t bother them. No one hassled me about it, so I wore it when I pleased.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 03:11PM

I have two female, ExMo friends (in the moridor) who purposely wear a cross so people won’t automatically think they are Mormons. They are not religious at all.

Posted by: UK is OK ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 03:02AM

The Cross.
The letter T, the last letter of Hebrew alphabet Taw, Tav, the End, the Completion, the Covenant letter, to sign a document with a cross, the end before the beginning.
Just some thoughts.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 09:45PM

You can attribute whatever quasi-inspirational symbolism to it that you want to, but considering that many people wear a cross not sans Jesus, but including him, hanging there in all his miserable and tortured agony, your comments come across as an attempted diversion, a distraction, and maybe even an admission, because deep down inside you know the real beliefs, the idolization of a torturous murder, inexplicably required by a wrathful diety, are weird.

Date: May 01, 2022 11:40PM

Thanks Humberto.
So glad I was able to help you vent your spleen.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 02, 2022 09:22AM

No anger here, just a bit of eye rolling at the awkward attempt to improve Christianity's marketing strategy.

Posted by: jazbo ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 12:06PM

Most interesting. Makes a lot more sense than a reminder for an instrument of torture.

Date: May 01, 2022 04:57PM

Thanks. Their letter for ‘t’ is a cross I believe.

Date: May 01, 2022 05:07PM

Sorry jazbo that should read pictogram representing the letter ‘t’.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 04:51PM

The church is in the midst of a great full-court press to make others believe that they are somehow mainstream Christians. So you'd think that ward leaders would be reading a first presidency letter at the pulpit telling people to wear crosses. They would be available, of course, for a hefty fee at the distribution centers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.