Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 12:09AM

Brigham Young. Created a permanent geographical headquarters for the church and grew it from there.

Lorenzo Snow. Transformed the church from an outdated communal organization running on barter to a modern corporate system running on money. He was the father of the corporate church.

David O McKay. He had Harold B Lee start the Correlation Committee. The church became standardized. This was the beginning of the church becoming the same everywhere. This is when Mormonism became the Mac Donald’s of religion.

Gordon B Hinckley. Set the trend for modern temples. They can be small. They can be made of existing structures. They can be automated more using prerecorded narration and videos. The massive temple building program that still continues was started by Hinkley.

Russell M Nelson. Making a huge effort to put the key focus of the church on Jesus Christ. Mormon is out and Christ is in. Mormon Pioneers and Utah heritage is being swept aside by a globally focused Christ centered church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:25AM

Kimball's guilt tripping everyone through the miracle of forgiveness and making missions mandatory in all but name.

Introducing Emeritus status, tossing out most of the Smith family from power.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 11:37AM

+1

Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:37AM

Did Monson do anything noteworthy? He was at the helm when the Prop 8 debacle happened, but that was already underway under Hinkley and he died in early 2008. However he gave a lot of speeches about it in the years after, so the anti-gay marriage push could still be layed at his feet.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 10:19AM

Monson decriminalized caffeinated sodas!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:49AM

All I know is that prior to my mission, in 1965, I had fun being a mormon.  Loose Laurels and masturbation made that possible.  

All the constraints against masturbation made stretches of my mission barely tolerable!

But there were interludes where the mission was a lot of fun.  Silao, Guanajuato will always have a hard spot in my heart!

I sincerely think they'd keep more members faithful if they allowed BYU to be a real, honest to ghawd party school where you didn't have to get married to get laid.  Maybe not as many marriages would fail because of incompatibility?

Of course this is strictly an opinion based on a male point of view and I shan't attempt to defend it when it is impugned by people who aren't male.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 11:42AM

EOD has started putting question marks at the end of many of his declarative statements?

There's someone else here who does the same thing?

Perhaps they are the same poster?

Couldn't be.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 12:15PM

I only do it after a genuine question or when I'm trying to be unclarative or reclarative...

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 26, 2022 02:48PM

We can thank the critics ranging from us, the members, the governments, the internet, the scientists, the historians, the Races/cultures moving/migrating into other countries/continents...

There has been way too much belief that the prophets, apostles got word from God. It seems more that every single prophet that is anointed spends their first year undoing, covering-up, lying what the previous leader/prophet did.

From Brigham Young forcing Mormons to accept Adam/God and creating a hierarchal organization as opposed to lateral power wielding. i.e. Getting rid of Patriarch of the Church to Nelson dissolving the office of the "Bishop of the Church" and absorbing all of the rights/powers to the Office of the First Presidency which is a solely owned non-profit corporation.

Whether Race & the Priesthood to Gender Roles to Government defiance/glorification. Everything has been due to protecting their own wealth, power, properties, family.

They don't give a damn about members, philanthropy, charity or equality. They never had, they never will...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.