Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gayle ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 06:45PM

I've not gone to church for 10 years, but husband is still active. But this weekend four kids and families came for the holiday weekend. I had all the cooking and beds to do and setting up toys and games.
Husband went to church. He's in charge of a few things there. Right in the middle of all the activity at home, I had to drive to the airport to pick up one child.
I'm a little annoyed.
I'm usually very accepting of his activity, but sometimes it's a little frustrating when I don't get any support. But I guess he could say the same about his church activity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 07:12PM

In those situations, cuss words are my friend.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 07:23PM

Kid (I assume a so-called adult) has never heard of Uber or Lyft? Or rent-a-car? All those are quite commonly found at airports.

And the other kids (also assume so-called adults) should be able to set up their own toys and games.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 07:41PM

I can't begin to number all the times I needed help but my parents were too busy with church.

Stranded by the road? The church potluck ends in two hours.

Need a ride to the doctor? Homemaking tonight, sorry.

Watch grandkids so you can work? Well it's ward temple night.

Watch grandkids because wife is in hospital and you want to see her? Go tomorrow, it's ward conference.

Worst....my brother's infant son died. My sister in laws parents didn't show up for two days because they had to go get set apart for a senior mission and didn't want to delay their mission an extra two weeks.

Broke your arm at cub scouts? Have to wait until it's over cause dad is the cubmaster and can't just turn the activity over to any of the women den leaders and take you to the hospital.

List goes on and on.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 08:58PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worst....my brother's infant son died. My sister
> in laws parents didn't show up for two days
> because they had to go get set apart for a senior
> mission and didn't want to delay their mission an
> extra two weeks.

Good grief to the whole list, but this one really takes the cake...

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 11:49PM

Couldn't agree more. Have they lost every shred of humanity?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 11:52PM

My example is minor, but here it is: My brother was 9, I was 6. We both had measles--high fevers--sick as we could be. He was my babysitter because missing church was not an option for my parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2022 11:54PM by Dorothy.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 01:02PM

Good grief.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 01:09PM

" But I guess he could say the same about his church activity."

He could say that but he would be wrong.

His going to church and fulfilling his calling compared with what you have done logistically on everyone's behalf, caring for the family, does not equate in the slightest. Though most Mormons would see it that way which puts you at a disadvantage. Your GRRR is well earned and appropriate.

My father was bishop from the time I was eight until I left for my mission. We didn't see much of him. We did everything so he could be bishop. He tried hard to do both, but just isn't the same.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 04:25PM

Hunting, sports, hobbies, hanging out with buddies, cards, cars or other vehicles, TV, politics...we all know people like that. Religion is just one among many possibilities. Think of religion like a lodge or fraternal organization (e.g. Elks, Rotary, Masons). Each one of these can be beneficial--or a family liability.

I'll add, last of all, money and work (or career), because I got deep, deep, deep into workaholism. Fortunately, my children didn't get (too) badly affected, but it put my marriage on the rocks, and we went through a very ugly six-month separation before we worked things out. And my now-adult children learned the positives and negatives of a high-commitment career.

There's an odd, and happy (bittersweet, perhaps) irony to all this. Although such an absorption into my job had that very negative effect, a lot of my high earnings went to paying down the mortgage, so that when I retired, I could truly retire, without having to find subsequent earnings to handle that obligation.

Thus: those things you're criticizing can have an upside.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 31, 2022 03:04PM

OT: My husbands favorite "swear" word.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.