Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 10:07AM

New Book highlighted in the Historical Fiction category of the NYT. The photo of Joseph caught my attention.

"The Prophet's Wife" by Libbie Grant. Focus is on the marriage of Joseph and Emma. Fiction based on fact. Hmmmmmnnn.

The review starts, "when Emma Hale marries an itinerant treasure hunter named Joseph Smith in rural Pennsylvania, she has no idea she's committing herself not just to a self-confident young man but to a religious movement." Review continues on from there.

They could have shortened the whole review to . . . "When Emma Hale marries an itinerant treasure hunter names Joseph Smith, all hell breaks loose!"

Apparently the book does get to the "spiritual-wifery stuff" and the rest of the dirt is dug up and seems to paint Emma as stuck in the whole mess. Not sure I will read it but thought it may interest some.

Also, could make a great gift as "another testament to Joseph Smith". No?

Could catch some Mormons off guard this book.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 10:40AM

The author is an exmormon!

Interesting interview/review here:

https://historicalnovelsociety.org/the-prophets-wife-by-libbie-grant-melding-the-personal-and-the-historical/

One little snippet: “Mormons were not good neighbors, and their leaders were oblivious. They didn’t see what they were provoking or they just didn’t care.”

Date: June 06, 2022 11:16AM

What a truly wonderful snippet. Thanks for the extra info.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 11:55AM

The leaders weren't oblivious. The sacking & looting of Gallatin and Rigdon's "Salt Sermon" are evidence of that. They were deliberately stoking the fires.

Date: June 06, 2022 12:15PM

From everything I have read I'd say you were absolutely right. They'd move into a town en masse and "own" it. They weren't persecuted. They were retaliated against for their despicable behavior.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 11:12AM

I just put a hold on the book from the library. Will report back

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 04:55PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 12:13PM

Is ChurchCo still a client of a PR management company?

Maybe they’ll give some ideas - guidance on this if it’s seen as potentially harmful

Date: June 06, 2022 12:28PM

P.R. spin seems to not be working quite like they hoped but I'm sure they are still consulting with one. My guess is the their new M.O. is "the less said the better."

Just lean on the members to show even more faith no matter what. They can count on my Mom to do that for sure. I doubt she's the only one.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 12:32PM

when Emma Hale marries an itinerant vagabond treasure hunter named Joseph Smith in rural Pennsylvania, she has no idea she's committing herself not just to a confidence game man but to a dangerous cult.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 06, 2022 08:27PM

Elder Berry: Oh come now--things were not that bad. There are a lot worse things members could be doing today (such as holding on to polygamy).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.