Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 13, 2022 07:42PM

I know, these have been discussed, but a couple short takes on the two series "Under the Banner of Heaven" and "Stay Sweet: Pray and Obey"

The first one, UtBoH has a connection to the second series...the weirdness of the mainstream (if you can call it that) Mormon church isn't enough for some. Apparently they need more weird. That's what the characters did in UtBoH, except they looked at the past of mormonism for an excuse.

UtBoH observations: Lots of dialogue goes way overboard in terms of Mormon faithfulness, praying for everything, invoking the church in everyday conversations, etc. But considering limited time for each episode and what they have to fit in as well as my own recollections of the ratio of secular:religious conversations with other mormons, yeah maybe they nailed it.

Stay Sweet observations: First, funny how the "regular" mormons in this bio say this is weird, horrible stuff...subjugating women, male authority, etc. Regular mormon (and also past mormon) history is right in line with these attitudes. Present day mormons are a watered-down version, but it's all there.

Bottom line all the versions of mormon are culty. Perhaps not blood atonement murders or underage marriages, but all these versions have similar elements of control, hierarchy, obedience, claims of prophetic guidance, and misogyny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 15, 2022 12:23AM

I didn't necessarily see it as much UNTIL it happened to me in terms of dealing with leaders on a very "intimate" basis. My boyfriend was gay. I'm sure you've probably read parts of my story. The way they handled the situation was horrible. My sister told me I had to see in Banner of Heaven where they give Brenda Lafferty a blessing. It was so much like the ones I got during the time I was dealing with them.

Then their attitude towards women and sex. I was told after my husband cheated it was my fault. If he wasn't satisfied, then I was obviously not giving him enough sex. It didn't matter how much, it wasn't enough if he strayed. I was given examples of other women who had not satisfied their men and their husbands had gone to prostitutes or had affairs. I saw this happen to other women I knew, too.

I found that women were just for their use. I wasn't an individual or anyone of any value unless I was saving a man. Both shows are pretty triggering for me. Still have to watch the end of Keep Sweet. I was never sweet. ha ha ha

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.