Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 12:19AM

So, my one Mormon “friend” on FB posted a picture of Moroni atop some Temple (he’s on a rampage visiting as many as possible—my friend, not Moroni), and under it he wrote this:

“Moroni ....someday you will meet your ancestors who will ask you why....why...when you had this temple so close.....why did you not do our work?”

Is this really a thing? Do dead ancestors accost you to bitch about you not doing their “work” (when they apparently didn’t do it themselves)?

I’ve heard of people claiming to see dead relatives at the temple (their own and other people’s. But not this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 12:22AM

I was accosted a few times by my dad’s mother, telling me how important it was to follow all the commandments.

But then she died . . .

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 12:30AM

I get a kick out of the image of god as petty bureaucrat. “Nobody is going anywhere until I get some proper paperwork, capiche?”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 12:39AM

No personality of sufficient depth and breadth would be caught being “in charge” of a world.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 01:15AM

This always got to me too. Same for garmies. Why would God care about your underwear? Just so petty.

Date: June 27, 2022 02:28PM

Exactly. Hard to believe. More likely some early insider in the mercantile business realized that they could sell more underwear if it was made mandatory...

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 10:06AM

Yeah, about those TPS reports . . .

Date: June 27, 2022 02:23PM

Did you get the memo?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 10:23AM

Can't you just picture Jesus, and according to Mormon doctrine Joseph Smith, standing at Heaven's Gate announcing that nobody gets celestialized without demonstrating some handshakes?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 10:19AM

Spencer Kimball, throwing down an Ace of Guilt card while also spreading Wilford Woodruff manure -

"We know that the spirit world is filled with the spirits of men who are waiting for you and me to get busy — waiting as the signers of the Declaration of Independence waited. 'Why,' they asked President Wilford Woodruff, 'why do you keep us waiting?' That question continues to be asked of us also, by our own people."

"Some of us have had occasion to wait for someone or something for a minute, an hour, a day, a week, or even a year. Can you imagine how our progenitors must feel, some of whom have perhaps been waiting for decades and even centuries for the temple work to be done for them? I have tried, in my mind's eye, to envision our progenitors who are anxiously waiting for those of us who are their descendants and are members of the Church on the earth to do our duty toward them. I have also thought what a dreadful feeling it would be for us to see them in the hereafter and have to acknowledge that we had not been as faithful as we should have been here on earth in performing these ordinances in their behalf."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1977/01/the-things-of-eternity-stand-we-in-jeopardy

Spencer Kimball sucked skunk nuts.

Date: June 27, 2022 02:30PM

Thanks for this. Clearly the "authority" behind the mindset. Or mind games.

"Respond to my guilt trip on earth, to minimize the guilt trips in the CK."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 12:53PM

It's a dead man's party, who could ask for more?
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 03:20PM

I've sometimes wondered if you can resign on behalf of your dead ancestors. I realize that Mormons think baptism for the dead is a "gift" that can be declined on the other side, but what if the nevermo giftee's family considers it an insult instead?

On a certain level, I realize that it's all silliness, but at the same time, a request for resignation on the part of a dead ancestor would send a message.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 27, 2022 04:01PM

Hmm, you may be on to something. What if I tell the Bishop of my mother's former ward, that Mom came to me in a vision and said, please get my resignation and I will decide to accept or reject it in heaven.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 10:16AM

Silly you. ;-)
All visions are to be in alignment with what the brethren think. Otherwise it was Satan influencing you. You need to fast, read the scriptures and keep praying until you get the vision they like!

Date: June 27, 2022 04:10PM

I like this idea! And who could complain? We could say the resignation is optional, and they're free to reject it on the other side. Right?

I've wondered about setting up a "don't dead dunk me after I'm gone" repository, where people could make their preference known before they depart from this life.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 06:59PM

Speaking as one who has talked to many 'ancestors/relatives' that have passed. 'NO ONE' has asked me to do their temple work or say I needed to return to church.

My mom just said how could the leaders 'lie' so easily. A brother-in-law said your concept of the 'after life' is pretty close to what he had just experienced. My priest quorum teacher said ---- and only you was able to find the truth when so many of the others were so intelligent and very successful in life.

Date: June 27, 2022 02:32PM

My late wife and I worried that my TBM relatives would claim that they've seen or spoken to her in the Temple (she was terminal for two years, so we talked about a lot of things). Anyway, we worked out a plan to debunk their claims if they make them. Not likely though, because they're shunning us anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2022 04:13PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 25, 2022 09:16PM

https://www.kuow.org/stories/chief-seattle-was-secretly-baptized-mormon-church-after-his-death-leak-shows/

The website MormonLeaks says Chief Seattle was baptized posthumously in the Mormon church.

The website released purported baptism documents for 17 long-dead people. One set of documents says the famous Native American for whom the City of Seattle was named was baptized in 1991.

A representative for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City said Tuesday that the church doesn’t comment on the authenticity of leaked documents.

Ryan McKnight, founder of MormonLeaks, said in an email: "We stand by all of the documents we have released so far including the ones today."

The documents show that Chief Seattle, an ancestral elder of the Suquamish Tribe, was referred for baptism three times in 1991. A spokeswoman for the Suquamish Tribe said they hadn't heard of this baptism but didn't want to comment further without knowing more details.

Such posthumous baptisms within the church are common, and most are aimed at the ancestors of Mormons.

But sometimes the baptisms create friction. For instance, Jewish groups have objected to the baptism of Jews who died in the Holocaust.

The church advises members to seek baptism for the dead only on behalf of relatives. But a church article acknowledges that the names of non-relatives and the famous are submitted, too, occasionally by pranksters, and that such instances “sometimes cause pain and embarrassment.”

The list released Tuesday contains more Native Americans, including Sacajawea, Geronimo and Chief Crazy Horse.

And there are other public figures – Bob Marley and Albert Einstein, for instance.

Then there’s No. 4 on the list.

Adolf Hitler.

Date: June 27, 2022 02:39PM

This stuff is maddening too!

Take a look at "Albert Einstein"'s record:

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/8/8d/Ancestral_File-Individual_Record-Albert_Einstein-2000-12-26.pdf

Leave it to the morg to make Einstein a polygamist!

Imagine yourself whisked into the CK without your knowledge or expectation, only to discover that you're "married" to your ex!

And what about his ex? They divorced for a reason, right? Is she expected to eternally produce his babies?

Supposedly they can reject this posthumous "work," but is it all or nothing? Can they "accept" "baptism" but reject "sealing." Is sealing one-sided like it is here: can women reject it, or only men? If Einstein and his first wife both want to go to the CK, are they stuck with each other?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 27, 2022 04:58PM

The Plan of Salvation is a deeply flawed plan if billions of individuals are waiting for a handful of people to baptize them by proxy. If we all have to have our ordinances done to enter the CK, why wasn't "the gospel" available to every individual during their short time on earth? Most people never even heard of Jesus, Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon. Now they're waiting to be baptized on the other side? What kind of stupid plan is that? Make baptism into the Mormon church a requirement for all Heavenly Father's children to enter the CK but then while they're on planet earth - their time to be tested and prove themselves - don't even let them know anything about the Mormon church.

Records don't exist for most people who have died on this planet. How can they be baptized by proxy if there's no record of them? Another serious flaw in the plan.

Maybe I missed the explanation when I wasn't paying attention in sunday school, sacrament meeting or seminary, but if Jesus has already been resurrected, making it possible for all humans to be reunited with their bodies after death, why are we still in spirit form after death? Didn't Jesus already pave the way for us to be reunited with our bodies? so why do we have to wait for the second coming or whatever? Why the wait? If everyone got their bodies immediately after death they could be baptized/take out endowments, etc. in the next life. It would solve a lot of problems and eliminate waiting time. I think the other brother had the better plan.

As far as waiting on the other side...isn't there anything better to do? Are spirits just in limbo doing nothing? Does it really change anything if they're baptized? They still have to wait to be reunited with their bodies before they can do anything. Why not just wait for that? What's the big hurry?

Date: June 29, 2022 12:41AM

Based on 'experiences' and the desire to know. You are very correct the Plan of Salvation is idiotic.

To summarize, spirits are busy learning, studying, and preparing for their next 'reincarnation' and learning experience somewhere in the Universe. You may not like the idea of 'reincarnation' but you must have or you would not be here now. You always have a 'choice'. It is definitely not one and done and some idiotic weak, bloody, fleshy body for eternity!!! There is progression but it is not very fast ---- eternal is a long time!

Posted by: Sonya Sundog ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 09:52AM

I dreamed about my mother once, and she said, "Oh, so you're a Mormon now." I had just been "reactivated". It was a waking dream. I always wondered if I'd been haunted LOL.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 11:39AM

I prefer complaining about my relatives in this life so I don't have to do it in the next life.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 12:04PM

Love it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 11:44PM

My dead ancestors remain in their dirt naps....nobody has contacted me..to bitch or otherwise.

Date: June 29, 2022 12:48AM

Doesn't mean you cannot contact them and 'bitch or otherwise'. I am not sure I would recommend that because they may pay you a visit. But if you do want contact the best way is to try to just talk to them periodically and maybe study a book on mediumship. Some of the 'visits' I got were because of things I 'asked basically the ceiling for'.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 29, 2022 07:30AM

Mormonism is the idealization of Joseph Smith's sex and power fantasies.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 29, 2022 11:00AM

I hear my dead Pop screaming every night about my “filthiest habit in the world!” —-letting dogs sleep on the bed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.