Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 11:03AM

I'm listening to Christine Burton on Mormon Stories.
Does anyone know whether she's credible.
Or not?
I think most of the people on MS come across as very believable, but I get a little sketchy vibe listening to her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nancy ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 02:42PM

I'm listening to more of the interview, and she's sounding more believable as it goes on.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 10:28PM

Pretty sure she is the woman who spoke at Open Mic at one of the ExMormon Foundation conferences - perhaps 2012.

As I recall, she spoke anonymously. She told that she was related to "higher ups" in the church. Her father ran the Deseret News. That's why I remembered her. She told how the important LDS guys would come to their home once a week and discuss what was to be published in the DN the following week.

She spoke of being terrified of being there, Someone had driven her -as I recall because she was concerned about her own car being seen, or being followed, or something like that.

Her mother was a half sister to Gordon B. Hinckely.
Her brother was married for a time to Mitt Romney's wannabe actress sister Jane.

Makes sense now why she was so frightened of speaking out.

Anyone else remember her from that conference?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 01:34PM by Twinker.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 11:16PM

When she said she finally felt free when both her parents died it said a lot. Not only being free from controlling and abusive parents but she wanted her inheritance and she no longer had to put the charade on to get it.

I always maintained a large percentage of the church just stay in it to not disappoint family or to get cut off from inheritance.

She also made a great point of saying the leaders don't think about things too much because they don't want to have their bubble busted. Maybe the truth is many of the leaders feel stuck and just don't dwell on things because it's too painful.

Living a lie is a pretty awful experience so don't think too much and don't rock the boat.

Date: July 09, 2022 11:19PM

Her description of Gordon Hinkley painted him as a calculating politician more than anything. You never got to know the real man and Thomas S. Monson sounded like the biggest brown noser ever.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 10, 2022 05:18PM

Hinckley was a calculating politician. Anybody who thought otherwise after the Mark Hofmann debacle was in deep deep denial.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 10, 2022 05:27PM

Plus he had a deep, relentless viciousness. He acquiesced in, if not instigated, many purges of good people; and his surreptitious war against homosexuals must count among the most evil things the church has ever done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 05:28PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 11, 2022 03:48PM

Ha! The Hoffman bombings took place when I was on my mission. Our panicked mission president held a mission wide conference on how to deal with questions about it since it was all over the news.

But I was serving in a very poor part of New York where Salt Lake City and the Mormon Church might have well been on Mars. Everyone was more concerned about selling crack, buying crack and keeping the other dealers out of their turf.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 12:37AM

I was on my mission at that time too, in England. The mission president talked about it in zone conference. He was worried about the American missionaries’ parents writing about it in letters. He spun it as proof the church was ‘true’.

Being British, I’d never have heard about if he hadn’t told us.

Nearly 20 years later it played a significant part in helping me see the church leaders for what they were.

Date: July 11, 2022 03:53PM

He wasn’t called the Hinkster for nothing. I loved seeing how his confidence wilted when he was in a different environment than a LDS interviewer or audience. They swing their dicks big when around members who are brainwashed but not so big around nonmembers.

Posted by: Elmo ( )
Date: July 10, 2022 01:26AM

"Her mother was a half brother to Gordon B. Hinckely."

Assume you meant half sister . . .

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 10, 2022 12:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 01:36PM by auntsukey.

Date: July 11, 2022 01:50PM

Date: July 12, 2022 12:42AM

Christine sees it from the inside. She knows.

It answers so many questions that have been asked here on RFM.
Do the authorities know it isn't true?
In a way they do but in a way they are in denial. They can't let the mask slip.

They have to play the role. They have a duty. They have a public face and a private face. And my take is that the perfection they must display causes them to lose track of their inner selves, their sense of empathy, their willingness to listen. They become unfeeling. Sometimes cruel. But certainly dismissive of anyone's experience.

Christine has learned the hard way that the church isn't the loving, caring, nurturing place it pretends to be. It was agonizing to hear of the experience of her son's suicide. But it also brought her to greater clarity of the duplicity of the Church.

This is 3 hours long but it was definitely worth it to hear her valid and clear-sighted view of the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.