Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 11:57AM

An Ogden man is in jail after allegedly choking his son for refusing to go on a church mission.

Scott Keith Warner, 49, remained in the Weber County Jail on Monday in lieu of $3,900 bail. He is charged with aggravated assault and committing domestic violence in the presence of a child, both third-degree felonies.

https://www.standard.net/police-fire/2020/aug/24/ogden-father-allegedly-chokes-son-for-refusing-to-go-on-church-mission/

ETA: Sorry, guys. I didn't realize that this article is two years old. Warner was set to go on trial about six weeks ago, but I can't find any indication that the trial moved forward.

https://www.standard.net/police-fire/courts/2022/jan/27/trial-set-for-ogden-man-accused-of-assaulting-son-over-church-mission-refusal/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2022 01:04PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 12:42PM

Maybe he got confused between the Roman version of persuasion versus the Christ like version of persuasion.

But on a more serious note, I am not surprised. My mother used to always guilt us by saying "what will the neighbors\ward think" or scream at us about being a bunch of Sh**s, and this article pretty well sums it up with a more aggressive form of persuasion.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 12:46PM

“When there’s love at home…”

How in the Fing world did they come up with $ 3,900 bail amount???

They should have added 26 cents, Ja Ja…

ChurchCo’s stance / statement on this & similar:
sound of One hand clapping, Crickets

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2022 12:54PM by GNPE.

Date: July 28, 2022 05:48PM

The trouble with that defense is that Warner's daughter was a witness.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 03:10AM

Yes. Furthermore, it would seem that, unless the reporting was less than timely, that it took the jerk a rather long time to come up with the defense.

Date: July 28, 2022 09:59PM

I’m not aware of any possible happy ending here, I hope the boy’s friends take him in & boy sees a private atty + has a chat with the local prosecutor….

Father choking his child by the neck? Unfit Parent!
Time Out in the Crowbar Hotel.

Oh, & have a sympathetic Bp. & SP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2022 11:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 10:19PM

My mother lied to the police about me hitting her after I was beat up by my father.

It is horrible.

Date: July 29, 2022 12:18AM

I'm sorry, Elder Berry. That is really terrible.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 12:29AM

Big {HUGZ} EB.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 01:31AM

That is heart wrenching EB

Date: July 31, 2022 09:50AM

I blocked it until my father's death and my brother brought it up to me. The surge of memory overwhelmed me and then brought back more times my father physically assaulted me at my mother's prompting.

Strange how my getting back into Mormonism after my adolescence blocked so many memories.

It makes me wonder if this is something specific to Mormonism or just general psychology for my way of handling trauma aka blocking.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 11:49AM

EB

I don't think blocking painful memories is unique to Mormonism, but the result of coping with abuse.

I just recalled the drama that regularly occurred at the family outdoor picnic table- a place where Mom slapped me and grounded me for not attending church when I felt ill.

Yet I had no memories of the picnic table assault when I had my RM welcome home party, birthday parties - Almost all Goop family gatherings occurred outdoors near the picnic table.

I dealt with abuse by pushing it deeper and deeper into my mind because there can be no such thing with Mormonism -Love at Home.

Date: July 31, 2022 06:27PM

Thanks for your reply. Singing love at home was always such a vacuous thing. My parents didn't encourage it but the opposite. They wanted us to vi for their attentions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 06:29PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 11:10AM

I think blocking out memories is a common way abuse survivors deal with the trauma, and it has nothing to do with Mormonism. It's especially common for those who were abused in any way as children. Survivors of molestation by Catholic priests have also tried to deal with that trauma by blocking out those memories.

Date: July 31, 2022 06:28PM

Thanks for everyone's support. You are amazing people.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 12:30AM

Doh! Why does this not happen on the Simpsons?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 08:45AM

Date: July 29, 2022 10:15AM

I think so.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 05:57AM

Who is Adam Warrior? Thanks.

Date: July 29, 2022 11:27AM

Yes, although I can't recall the reason. IIRC, Adam's father severely damaged Adam's hyoid bone, necessitating years of Adam trying to seek relief from pain.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 03:19AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, although I can't recall the reason. IIRC,
> Adam's father severely damaged Adam's hyoid bone,
> necessitating years of Adam trying to seek relief
> from pain.

My memory may be off here, but I recall that a priesthood leader or scout leader injured Adam. His father did nothing to defend or support Adam.

Date: August 02, 2022 07:30AM

I think you are right about that, scmd1.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 11:06AM

THAT IS SICK SICK SICK

Date: July 31, 2022 12:22PM

he'll probably go before a Mormon judge if charged, maybe his home teacher / 'home minister'

what a JOKE that could be!!!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 05:59AM

Who is Adam Warrior? Thanks.

Date: August 02, 2022 07:30AM

One of our board members. He used to post regularly, and now he comes and goes.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 12:34AM

Jail time

https://www.ksl.com/article/50500202/clearfield-man-ordered-to-jail-after-assaulting-son-for-refusing-to-go-on-mission

"Second District Court Judge Cristina Ortega sentenced Scott Keith Warner, 51, to a suspended prison term. He did not specify how long the suspended prison term was, but a conviction on a third-degree felony is punishable by up to five years in the Utah State Prison.

Ortega then ordered Warner to serve 240 days in jail, the first 90 of which will be in custody, prosecutor Matt Wilson told KSL.com. After that, he can participate in the day reporting program, along with "other standard conditions of probation."

Date: October 22, 2022 01:07AM

"the first 90 of which will be in custody"

Kind of like being in the MTC.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 01:24AM

Does it ever occur to any of these rabidly pro-mission types that a kid who does NOT want to go on a mission will very likely not be an effective mishie?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 01:40AM

I doubt that people like this guy even worry about whether their child will be an effective missionary or not.

The ward will not know if they were an effective missionary or not, but the ward will know if they don't go on a mission at all.

It's all about appearances.

Date: October 22, 2022 01:23AM

Good. Thanks for the update!

Date: October 22, 2022 02:07AM

Gee, why does ChurchCo attract psycho types???

Why don't bishops & SPs sense- know who these people ('inspiration??) and how to help them & others involved???

Date: October 22, 2022 05:16AM

They are like the castle guards in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2022 05:16AM by bradley.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 09:20AM

To some degree ChurchCo will attract these types of people, but the bigger concern is that ChurchCo manufactures or creates space for these types of people to foster this mindset.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 03:37PM

I witnessed and experienced lots of abuse as a member. While they may not preach it from the pulpit. They look the other way as if it's not happening.

I got smacked at church, even in the temple. Nobody says anything to the abusers. They blame the victim. In my case, I shouldn't have dropped my garments to the floor while doing temple initatories.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.