Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 06:57PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 01:37AM

"By keeping this law, Church members receive spiritual and temporal blessings in their lives and help further the Church’s divine mission on earth."

But wait, there's an even higher law! You can get even more blessings by sending your money to me! It's true because I just made it up.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 01:48AM

That's pretty funny, CP.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 01:54AM

Another trivial policy change that the members will say was inspired by God and they are so blessed to have a living prophet. They only say this because it makes them feel special. The prophet could fart and the members would say it was beautiful and an inspiration.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 02:18AM

Is tithing biblical ?

Date: August 12, 2022 02:32AM

Yes.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 03:10AM

Show me

Date: August 12, 2022 03:19AM

Just google "bible" and "tithe." You'll get at least a dozen citations.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 03:49AM

Genesis 14:19-20

Leviticus 27:30-34

Numbers 18:21,26

Deuteronomy 14:22,28-29

Nehemiah 10:35-37

Amos 4:4-5

Malachi 3:8-12

Luke 11:42

Hebrews 7:1-2

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 12:20PM

I think tithing as a commandment is not part of the New Covenant.

Hebrews 7:18-19 states tithing is "disannulled" because the commandment is weak and unprofitible because the law made nothing perfect.

Hebrews 7 goes like this:
*Melchizedek is greater than Abram and Abram (hence Levi) paid tithes to Melchizedek (e.g. v 9).
*Jesus is greater than Melchizedek (15-16).
*Therefore, the commandment of tithing is disannulled because it is weak and unprofitable compared the the Grace of Christ (v. 18, 22, 28)

For a deeper look, read Heb 7 in the Greek, where the words "law" and "commandment" are mentioned during the whole discussion.
When one gets to verse 18, it says the commandment is disannulled. The only commandment listed in this chapter, under the law, is tithing.
You can find interlinear Greek-English new Testaments around.

Peace

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 24, 2022 05:39AM

Because I enjoy languages, I took a shot a few years ago at classical Greek. I can read and speak enough "modern" Greek to function on the basic tourist level: Yes, no, please, thank you, where is -----?

Classical Greek was a whole new ball game. I already had a handle on the alphabet and the pronunciation. But holy moly - the classical level was a whole new level of awful. I tried to convince myself that a lot of people in history routinely studied Greek, Latin,maybe even Hebrew.

Maybe it's age - I hit the big 7-5 about two months ago. Maybe it's that my brain is more wired into Latin-derived languages. I dunno. I think I attended three or four classes before crashing and burning. The instructor was a charming young man who was a PhD candidate in Classical languages. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him that I just couldn't wrap my head around Classical Greek. Very humbling experience.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 07:31AM

It's biblical for the Old Testament. Not the New Testament. The Jesus of the New Testament was sensitive to the needs of the poor Jews of the countryside, who were being financially crushed not only by the Jewish temple tax, and by needed temple offerings, but also the tax imposed by the Romans.

Date: August 12, 2022 04:20PM

I think you are misreading things, summer.

In the OT, the "law" of tithing was mentioned occasionally by prophets calling the people to repentance. There's not much indication of its being a regularly enforced rule. It's also significant that one of the references is in the Book of Deuteronomy, which was "discovered" in the Holy of Holies at the time when the YHWH cult grew ascendant around 600 BCE--when the new religious authorities needed money. In that sense the OT principle of tithing appears to have been a goal that was periodically emphasized but never enforced as a firm law, much like tithing was an unenforced aspiration in the LDS church for decades in the 19th century.

That Jesus didn't emphasize it makes complete sense. There isn't a lot of evidence that Jesus intended to create a "church"--the word doesn't even make sense in the Jewish culture of the time--as opposed to a reform movement or a spiritual movement. And since he wasn't thinking in institutional terms, he didn't see the need for financial planning. He denounced greed, urged people to give to the needy, etc., but that is different from insisting that 10% of one's income must go to a (nonexistent) church.

There is accordingly no clear antecedent to the LDS innovation of an iron-clad rule that members must give 10% to the religious organization. Tithes, or "tithes and offerings," definitely enjoyed the Biblical imprimatur, but the practice of tithing was inconsistent throughout the OT and the NT and never grew as institutionalized or was as clearly enforced as in the Mormon iteration.

My point is that there probably wasn't that clear a delineation between pre-Jesus and post-Jesus tithing in Palestine--and in fact throughout the Catholic and Protestant eras. Mormonism is probably uniquely organized in its tax-collection activities.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 01:54PM

Yes, Biblical. But I’m pretty sure that those are the parts of the Bible that aren’t translated correctly.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 09:26AM

As in all these commandments mormons should do their due diligence, what is recieved in return. If it's a covenant as shown in the temple then what does the Corp give back? (and promises in the afterlife aren't good enough). Just my view...

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2022 11:16PM

I had a bishop that would answer when asked if tithing should be paid on gross or net income. Pay on net incomes gives net blessings pay on gross income gives gross blessings. You can choose which blessings you want.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 01:54AM

Even as a TBM I considered that Reader's Digest level theology

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 02:57AM

two thoughts:

The sooner your money is in our mormon account the more money the church can make off of yours. (We can earn lots in interest this year)

In the wards I have lived in, a clip board with dates and times that were available for tithing settlement was passed around the classes. Each person or family was to pick a time.

Now the ward secretary will CALL everyone in the ward and MAKE them sign up. Members will not be tempted to buy Christmas presents for their kids before they pay tithing.

So, the church is racing to get your money before you spend it on your kids.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 09:01AM

Villager Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sooner your money is in our mormon
> account the more money the church can make off of
> yours. (We can earn lots in interest this year)

Yep, businesses -- even the ones that masquerade as churches -- want to collect their revenue as early as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 09:02AM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 10:01AM

I wonder if the tithing money has decreased? Why is the church re naming tithing settlement?

“Tithing Declaration” same thing different name.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 15, 2022 10:16AM

They did consider a few other names:

Shakedown settlement
Fleecing declaration
Swindle time
Extortion explanation

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 24, 2022 11:54AM

"If paying tithing means that you can't pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don't have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing. The Lord will not abandon you.”

Effing bastards.

I was forgetting that it wasn't Gerald Causse that said that, it was Bishop Orellana who said that to a poor family, but when googling to find the correct quote I came across this--wonder where it went, legally...

http://openargs.com/wp-content/uploads/IRS-Letter-Final.pdf

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 24, 2022 05:47PM

I have known well a friend who has serious dyslexia, a church member, I've forgotten whether or not RM (I doubt it)

He got thru several Bps & SPs trying to help him, but church welfare is only set up on a temporary basis & difficult for people who live in rural locations.

They don't like sending welfare to chapels for a few reasons, cold & frozen food, lag time between orders & delivery, ppl don't like others seeing a 'client' pick up food.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2022 07:38PM

I never paid the cult a friggin dime and got the blessing of 10% more income and always having food on the table for my family!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.