Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 02:37AM

On 6 september of 1776 Sgt Ezra Lee entered what was then known as Bushnell's Turtle and made the first wartime attack of a submersible against HMS Eagle in New York harbor.

Here are the similarities between Washington's vessel and Smith's Jaredite Barge.

Both were made of two wooden halves bound together tight as a dish.

Both had openings on the top and bottom.

In the Turtle's case the bottom hole was to allow water to enter so it could submerge. The top opening was both the entrance and allowed for replenishing the air.

The turtle used a bioluminescent lichen to illuminate it's instruments. Jaredites had glow in the dark rocks.

Both were slow. The turtle made 3 miles an hour. The Jaredites took almost a year to cross the Atlantic.

There were some differences

The Turtle had windows.
The Turtle had an explosive device that was supposed to be attached to the bottom of the ship it was attacking.

Alas, Sgt Lee was unable to drill through the copper bottom of the Eagle and attach the mine.

One final thought.

Both Joseph and the Turtle had connections to the city of Salem. While I have no direct proof the Turtle inspired Joseph, I do find the similarities intriguing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 05:06AM

I just Googled Bushnell’s Turtle. Very interesting.

Thanks, Heartless.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 05:35AM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 06:20AM

Joseph traveled to Salem in 1836, after the BoM was written. However, he did have family from there. His great grandfather testified at trial causing innocent women to be hanged.

https://lifeafter.org/salem-witch-trials-joseph-smiths-relatives/

There may have been karmic reasons for Joseph to be involved in real witchcraft.

The notion of Jaredite barges crossing the Atlantic should be ludicrous to anyone who has crossed the Atlantic in a ship. Being blown forth by a mighty wind would have been like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. For a year. With a barnyard of animals and their feed stuffed inside the barrel, with nobody dying, and with all eight barrels making landfall in one piece on the same day. The story is downright stupid.

But as a credulity test, it works. Being Mormon takes some serious self-deception. If you can believe the Book of Ether, you probably have "The Right Stuff".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 06:44AM by bradley.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 10:10AM

Joseph recuperated in Salem after is leg operation in 1813 around the age of 7.

He stayed with his uncle.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 03:50PM

What I always think of:
(JS lived within walking distance of the canal)

https://glcp.uvm.edu/landscape_new/dating/boats/canal_barges.php

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 06:12PM

in b 4 ~

exmos claiming george washington was fake ~

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.