Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 11:51AM

If I read the conference talks correctly and listen to the talks and lessons at Church I believe this is what Dusty Rusty wants. We are to model our lives after Jesus. We are to become his disciples. We are to become like Him. What's the problem?
I want to be me. I want to be the best person I can be. I want to live my life to the best of my abilities. I do not want to become someone else nor do I want to be a clone. Young people are being taught this is school so it conflicts with what they hear at Church.

Now with Rusty's direction on prayer you have to use the proper pronouns. You must demonstrate that you can pray before they will ask you to pray in public (SM, etc.). Well I like my prayers. I like to meditate and pray when outside in the forests. I like to listen to the aboriginals when they pray and talk about the great creator. This may explain why they never ask me to pray in SM when I attend.

This past week I was listening to the teacher in Priesthood meeting giving the lesson. I watched the class. Bored out of their minds. I will be away for 4 months so I endured SM and Priesthood just to make sure I have not missed anything. I have not. Anyways teacher was former Temple President, etc, etc. Grew up in Lethbridge and knows Wendy big time. Can't say enough good things about her and Rusty. He talks about what Jesus said as if they were really said. Then it struck me for the first time in my life. We really do not know what the exact words that Jesus said or the exact things He did. We only have handed down writings and translations. So how can I in good faith become like Jesus when really all we have is some writers saying what Jesus said or did.

I travel a lot and attend Church in various places to see if anything is new. This is my observation. Members are not really friendly to those they do not really know. I am out going and I speak to everyone but if I sit back, few people will speak to me because I am new and visiting. So they hear the message to be Christ like and they do not follow through.

I speak to people because I want to be a good person and I want to brighten their day. Not to be Christ like or I am ministering as required by the Church. Yes how is the Ministering program going?

Conclusion. I believe the average TBM is over saturated with the "Come unto Christ" thing. I think the average TBM knows the Church is in trouble but do not know what to do or how to think about it. The members are falling away even if they attend Church regularly. They are not getting anything to make them a better person inside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 12:00PM

>> We are to become like Him. <<

I shaved my head and then quit cutting my hair over 2 years ago during the pandemic. It's now a little past my shoulders. Sometime I look in the mirror and I think that if I grew a beard, I'd look like mormon Jesus (I have blue eyes)

Does that count towards becoming like him?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 12:23PM

Rats!!

I cannot become like mormon Jesus...

But I did play mormon Santa Claus my last year in Primary! It's probably for the best that I didn't read the reviews.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 02:15PM

Why would any Jesus want to become Mormon Jesus?

Date: September 13, 2022 02:20PM

…Fresh chewing gum?

Date: September 13, 2022 02:23PM

I hate to say it, but the chewing gum you get from the underside of the pews isn't fresh.

It's just inexpensive.

Date: September 13, 2022 05:01PM

A standard, no matter how low, is still a standard!

Date: September 13, 2022 05:06PM

Okay, accepted. But please stay away from the chewing gum in the Walmart parking lot.

That stuff. . . just no.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 12:18PM

Yes Roy

You should get a beard. I think all should have long hair with beards. Ditch the suits and wear robes with sandals.

Stop giving to the church and help the poor.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 12:20PM

OK. The next time I see a fig tree, I'll curse it.

If mormons really want to be like Jesus, they have to march into the temples and whip the cash register operators.

Oh, and Jesus also publicly called out the ones who nitpicked on rules, made pretentious outward displays of their piety and droned on with overlong prayers — maybe 80% of mormons today. There would barely be anyone left in the church after all that.

That's just Bible Jesus. If they want to be like BOM Jesus instead, they'll be looking at life without parole.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 02:56PM

Bible Jesus said our body was a temple and he fulfilled the law. Basically, no need for any temples anymore. The silly shit that goes on in LDS temples never was done in the ancient Hebrew temples. Jesus would look at the Mormons and shake his head.

Date: September 13, 2022 02:58PM

Anyways Russ and the boys are coming off like wild eyed Jesus freaks banging on the window with a message of hope to share with you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 12:21PM

I see “Jesus” as their new marketing shtick.

Date: September 13, 2022 03:03PM

I see it as desperation.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 02:41PM

Wearing robes and sandles with an Alberta winter approaching? Nah...I'll pass...the turning water into wine trick would be a keeper though...

Date: September 13, 2022 02:50PM

Alberta was a great place to flee when the US Government was after you for polygamy. Apparently Duddly Do Right didn’t care if you had a few wife’s.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 14, 2022 10:43PM

Lol...rumor has it, its still a thing in our Moridor

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: September 20, 2022 10:44AM

That would be so cool if all the sainted ones in Raymond prayed, facing north, that you would humbly 'come unto Christ'. LOL!

Date: September 13, 2022 02:47PM

It’s the church picking up the dropped football and trying to run with it. In the past the church was competing with other Christian church’s. Today many of those church’s are gone or they are losing members. So the LDS Church is hitting the Come Unto Jesus theme hard. I think they are trying to pick up members of other church’s who had their church disappear or reform in a way they no longer accept.

Also 19 century Americanism and the New Jerusalem doesn’t sell like it used to. So Christ is up front now.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 03:15PM

Jesus was Jewish. Does the church want people to convert to Judaism to be more like Jesus?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 03:09PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus was Jewish. Does the church want people to
> convert to Judaism to be more like Jesus?

Good point.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 03:38PM

I also had a moment recently where it dawned on me that one of the reasons Mormonism never worked for me was because I didn't want to be like God. As imperfect as I am, I just want to be me.

While this isn't true for every Mormon, I think many Mormons think (and it's taught in the church) that doing all the Mormon things like reading scriptures, attending the temple, tithing, keeping the sabbath day holy, etc. is what makes them a good person and helps them become like Christ. Many want to treat others well too, but I don't think this is the primary focus of many Mormons.

Many Mormons don't really see that checking all the Mormon boxes makes for a good Mormon, but that's really about it.

Date: September 13, 2022 03:50PM

I didn’t want to hold onto the rod. I didn’t want to suck it either. God can find someone else to hold his rod.

Date: September 13, 2022 03:46PM

Jesus is in and Moroni is out. Let’s give Jesus a big giant shout out! Mormon is a servant of Satan. Never say that word or Russ will call you a dirty bird and start the hatin.

Oh it’s Jesus! Jesus! Praise his name. Commander Russ is playing a new game.

Oh it’s Jesus! Jesus! Maybe by ditching Mormon the world will think we’re more sane.

We are mainstreaming. So take you vitamins and get some rest. Everyone is expected to be their best. Follow Jesus and Russ to victory!

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young soon will be history.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 04:07PM

Jesus and their hedge fund have a lot in common. They are both their lifeline to conserving their rights to religious freedoms to hate.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 04:15PM

Become like Jesus? You mean drink wine? Hang out with society’s outcasts? Condemn the hoarding of wealth?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 04:19PM

Someone else said this here, I don’t remember who.

“Mormonism: where Jesus can be bought for money.”

Date: September 13, 2022 05:16PM

You can buy anything in this world and the next with money.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 05:03PM

One of the goals of Christianity is to perfect yourself. I got to the point where I no longer saw that as a desirable goal. I think I'm just fine as a normal, imperfect human being. The saying, "The perfect is the enemy of the good" has a lot of truth to it.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 05:44PM

Is that a goal of Christianity? It's not one I have heard defined. Christianity I am familiar with teaches that if we could become perfect through our effort we would not need the one the movement is named for in the first place. Perhaps we are defining perfect differently.

Date: September 13, 2022 06:09PM

No original sin? Even if there isn't, no falling?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 11:54PM

In the Catholic church in which I was raised, there was an emphasis on constantly examining the state of your soul. Sins were to be confessed to the priest, with a corresponding atonement, with the goal of ridding yourself of as much sin as possible (in order to make yourself pleasing to God.)

But you are correct, "all people are sinners," so this is always something of an exercise in futility. Hence the need for Jesus.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 05:59PM

Be like Jesus. Bring good wine to the party.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 08:41PM

Mary, around 2,000 years ago, to Jesus Christ's little brother (in a thick Brooklyn accent):
"Why can't you become more like Jesus!? He always puts his sandals away and sweeps up in the woodshop at the end of the day when your father is done making rough-hewn tables--and he's a great help in the kitchen, too! Just last week I remembered 'Oh, it's Friday!', and I only had one fish....so what's Jesus do? He makes more! Oh! And that time you accidentally killed your cousin Morris?? Oi! What a mess! But who brought him back from the dead? Your brother Jesus, that's who!
So, please, become more like Jesus...oh, and your Uncle Flavin is coming over for dinner, be a mensch and wash his feet this time, OK, because, you know--that's what Jesus would do."

Date: September 13, 2022 10:13PM

I read recently that Jesus was actually supposed to be named Brian, but when Mary went to the local government office to register the birth, just as the clerk asked for the newborn’s name, she stubbed her toe.

Date: September 13, 2022 10:33PM

So, from perspective, that would make his middle name start with an F...,¿qué no?

Date: September 13, 2022 10:36PM

I believe you’re right. Even though some biblical scholars continue to insist that his middle initial was “H.”

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 13, 2022 11:10PM

"We really do not know what the exact words that Jesus said or the exact things He did. We only have handed down writings and translations."

But Rusty gets to operate the Jesus sock puppet, so what does it matter? It's whatever the Grand Poobah says.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 14, 2022 08:40AM

Jesus is reported to have willingly cured lepers.
TSCC has more than enough money to cure leprosy worldwide!
They could eradicate leprosy and have money left over.
But they'd have to put their money where their mouth is.
They don't really want to be like Jesus.

Date: September 14, 2022 11:35AM

The world won't be grateful enough for their money.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: September 14, 2022 11:45AM

This had me laughing uncontrollably in my recliner.

It shows the mental state of the profit.

Act more like Jesus in the Bible .ok. Now Jesus never asked for money nor did his disciples. Jesus didn’t live in mansions, high rises,or homes more expensive than his followers. Jesus didn’t support the rich, famous, or money mongers.

He hung around with the poor, ill, and downtrodden. He gave hope to them.

Now this is just my humble opinion.

So if the profit wants everyone to do what Jesus did they would abandon those expensive houses, not give tithing, and minister to the poor, prostitutes, and drug users. This would mean the profit and his helpers would need to follow that too.

But alas it is just a hypocrite giving lip service to hypocrites. I believe hypocrite is used quite often in the Bible.

This is also correct to other Christian churches that are led by jet flying, mansion living leaders.

TSCC would crumble if they followed his advice. But then if they stop paying tithing they could always say they were following the profit.

I agree with Gordon B Stinky. Mother Theresa spent her life acting just like Jesus but all the Christian churches I have talked to say she went to hell. Bet that pleased their god.

Date: September 14, 2022 11:47AM

What, on Earth, do mormons think Jesus needs to buy?

Even if he did need “purchasing power”, what’s his credit score?

Does anyone think Jesus would ever miss a payment, or even be late on a payment?

Date: September 15, 2022 02:17PM

Jesus has 100 billion dollars.

Nuff said.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: September 14, 2022 12:03PM

We know what Jesus said when he finally gave Joey the name of his Church after more than a decade and two failed efforts.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Joe wrote it down as Jesus gave it to him - and now MoronicPriesthood,inc has seen fit to correct Jesus by adding a hyphen and makine the D lower case.

Even when they have what Jesus says - these numbskulls change it.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: September 14, 2022 08:41PM

This funny.

Jesus never took tithing from his followers. Neither did his disciples. Jesus never hung around with the rich, famous, or kings in power. Jesus never lived above the means of those he ministered.

So this profit living in a high tower, collecting tithings, associating with the rich and powerful wants him and his followers to do and act like Jesus did.

So funny and delusional.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 20, 2022 11:18AM

I don’t know about that. He got gold, frankincense and myrrh for Christmas, and got anointed with some pretty high-priced oil as I recall. He was a Jeopardy! contestant with the smart guys at the temple. He was on a first name basis with the Roman governor, though that meeting could have gone better.

And he managed to rent a big room for a catered meal for his last Passover Seder. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a reservation for thirteen that night? You gotta have connections to score a room that big.

Date: September 20, 2022 12:08PM

He had a reservation for 13, but he requested a table for 26, so that they could all sit on the same side.

https://wallpapercave.com/wp/ih1vnE5.jpg

Date: September 25, 2022 03:18PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
> He had a reservation for 13, but he requested a
> table for 26, so that they could all sit on the
> same side.
>
> https://wallpapercave.com/wp/ih1vnE5.jpg

He had to get the longer table because 13 backs in the painting's foreground wouldn't be as artistic.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 20, 2022 12:22PM

Didn't Jesus and his stan-apostles roam around preaching? Who do we think provided for them? My understanding is that they mostly lived on the handouts from the people they preached to.

It's not like several of them had actual jobs. This appears to be how preachers to this day survive: they get money from their followers. Maybe Mormons got that part like Jesus.

Date: September 14, 2022 09:23PM

Jesus was a non-conformist rebel who the leaders of his church hated. I guess I'm more like Jesus than I thought.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 01:43AM

They do know he was homeless, right?

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 02:09AM

Was recommended this yesterday.

Isaiah 53:2

There is no beauty that we should desire him.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 11:02AM

Trump claims he is second to Jesus. Talk about a low standard.
Do we have to be like Trump too?

Date: September 25, 2022 03:15PM

squirrely Wrote:
> Trump claims he is second to Jesus.

???

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 11:14AM

We have no Record of Jesus being married, fathering children, or GASP any divorce…

Be like Jesus… Really?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 06:19PM

It is essentially the "mantra" of Christianity. Just part of the Mormon drive to mainstream and be accepted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.