Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 08:18AM

Bednar is ethically challenged? Who'd a thunk it?

On another note, I will now take a 6-month sabbatical from the board to allow my eyes to recover from seeing Bednar... ;-)

He is genuinely scary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 05:44PM

I got a good chuckle outta that... What's the scariest thing about his face to you?

To me one of the scariest things about him is how unnaturally expressionless and immobile his face seems to be. It's like the doctor screwed up and gave him a 6-year dose of botox instead of a 6-month dose.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 09:11AM

I guess he has been second annointed.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 12:38PM

I think you could probably amend that to "I'm sure he's received his 2nd annointing". He has that mad gleam in his eye.

Date: October 13, 2022 05:54PM

Like a hobbit who has found his precious.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 09:25AM

Interesting quotes from the article:

'“In the modern church, leaders have become more like bureaucrats than theologians,” Park said.

Bednar’s use of Reid’s article, which appeared in a magazine called Forerunner, was also puzzling to scholars. Reid was a leader in the Church of the Great God, a sectarian group that broke away from the Worldwide Church of God, founded by the late Herbert W. Armstrong...

While church leaders are expected to read and research their talks, said Mason, the talks are seen as inspired. “There would be a sense among many members of the church that these words are given to the apostle from heaven,” he said...' [end of quotes]

Yep, inspired indeed. They are all con men.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 09:44AM

It has been reported here and other sites that every GA has a speech writer. And now with Nelson's we only teach Jesus crap, these writers are borrowing printed sermons for their talks.

Once the next prophet goes back to it's grand to be a Mormon, they can go back to stealing the words of dead members.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 10:48AM

The anonymous speech writer in the church office building who likely did the plagiarizing is probably cleaning out their desk this morning.
Making Bednar angry is probably the one thing church employees fear most.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 10:54AM

Like anybody besides underemployed English majors gives a rat’s ass about an improperly footnoted talk.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 11:46AM

Yes the issue of the plagiarism is interesting and is indeed a subject for debate. But in reading the material he quoted from and used to base his talk is what I found to be more interesting, and a clear indication of what he would do to church membership should he ever reach the prize position.

The article mentioned the story\parable of the casting out of the one who was not like everyone else and not doing exactly as commanded by the master of the house. Indicating that the master was right, no matter what, and that we the lower class are to do and follow his demands no matter what one may think.

If anyone wants to have a clear insight into Bednar and his view of those of us who are beneath him, then that section of the article pretty well sums it up. I have no doubt if he gets to the top, he will be the utlimate dictator.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 12:11PM

> I have no doubt if he gets to the
> top, he will be the ultimate dictator.

Admit it, you have to admire a dictator who doesn't half-ass the job . . .

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 12:22PM

Think of the groveling he would get, and the purge that would occur.

From an outside perspective, it would be most comical, since the term of "Careful what you wish for, you may actually get it", would apply.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 12:58PM

I see nothing wrong with using ideas others have voiced (who doesn't?)

But word-for-word is a Big NO-NO.

hey, we already had Bedknobs sized up anyway...

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 02:26PM

parable of the pickle is out of ideas.

Date: October 07, 2022 02:43PM

Pickled also means drunk and his drink of choice contains the heady alcohol of authority.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 09, 2022 08:58PM

The Parable of the Pickle is why Bednar is now opting for plagiarism.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 02:53PM

Parable of a Pickle begat leadership/authority of a Dickle.

As long as Bednar does not fuck up his Klingon verb conjugation and grammar, he's OK in my book. Those are the true sins of communication.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 07, 2022 02:35PM

But he'll skate on any hint of inappropriate use of someone else's words. Untouchable?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 09, 2022 06:20PM

Of course! What's a Mormon to do if challenged with an original thought? There isn't now, nor ever has been, any original thought in the church. All is borrowed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 09, 2022 08:55PM

I was talking to someone who works in the COB and worked on projects Bednar was in charge of. He said Bednar is a strange duck. Of course he’s an academic and some lean a bit strange but he said it was hard to get to know Bednar. He was off in his own little world.

Posted by: PerDelecto ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 06:13AM

Croissants for everyone!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 09:07AM

Attribution is a rare thing in Mormon talks. I don't see it in speeches except when the speaker is a professional writer. Cribbing is Mormon tradition. So what?

Bednar's tyrannical bent made him an ideal president for BYUI. It might make him the ideal church president, given the level of control the leaders exert these days. Perhaps at this point the church needs to be ruled with an iron hand. I say that as an outsider with a large supply of popcorn.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 03:58PM

Now if only he could plagiarize a personality...

Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 05:50PM

Bwahahaha! too perfect.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 06:33PM

I know several of Bednar's kids well professionally. I still can't reconcile these good standup guys with having Bednar as a dad. It must be their mom—those cold dead eyes of Bednar. Shudder.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.