Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 11:24AM

You might have saved my life back in 2003-2004.

You definitely contributed to my self eviction from Mormonism.

You in the form of many anonymous people were my friend in some of the lowest times I've experienced.

I have not contributed near enough back to you and yet you've always been there.

I just wanted to share my feelings of gratitude for you and the wonderful thing you've been to me.

You've helped shape who I am and I like it. Thanks again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 11:39AM

You've helped many in return. You've been entertaining, funny and poignant.

We never know what we'll find on RfM, but chances are that we will learn something new. It's nice to know many here understand my background culture and how people evolve out of it.

Ditto to your thanks.
(Is it fast Sunday testimony time?)

Date: October 15, 2022 11:47AM

Saturday is a special day. Thanks for being part of the legion of devils with me to help. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 12:58PM

You are loved, EB. A man with a tragically Mormon past, a great husband and father, a sensitive observer, a loyal friend.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 01:39PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 02:59PM

This is an amazing place. I have learned so much.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 03:41PM

And thank you, EB, for some sometimes odd but very thought-provoking threads. This one is probably my favorite,

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2210664,2210664#msg-2210664

probably because I had to read the book (but not see the movie) during my freshman year in high school. (It was one of those books my mom read to mee--it wasn't available in braille at the time).

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 04:14PM

A neighbor recently gave me some elderberry wine. I think about you when I see the bottle. I have no idea if it should be chilled or not, so sometimes it’s in the fridge, and right now it’s on the counter.

Then I think of my step grandfather, an illiterate farmer, one of seventeen children, no twins, same parents, who made amazing peach wine. I loved him so much! Such a quiet gentle man.

You are a font of kindness and joy, even when it might not feel so to you. You inspire fond memories. You make me smile. You make me think about how my actions might affect others. You’ve enriched my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2022 05:11PM by Beth.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 09:48PM

Hey Beff! What does the EB wine taste like? I have wanted to try it for years because of Arsenic and Old Lace. I found a place to buy some but it ain't cheap and I want to know if I should plop out the money. Is it really sweet?

Date: October 19, 2022 12:05AM

I haven’t tried it yet. It was a gift from a couple who built a catio and needed some hardware cloth. I had a roll sitting around.

Right now I’m elbow deep in something called Big Thing Little IPA (9 BVA). I haven’t started slurring yet (well, there’s no one to talk to).

I’ll try the wine tomorrow, return and report!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 11:10PM

When we visited an uncle (grandson of an apostle) he would ask my Dad, ever so politely: "Would you like some elderberry wine?" My Dad would say, "I think I would!" and the elderberry wine would be poured. (I was too young to be asked, but to this day I'd like to try some elderberry wine.)

Date: October 18, 2022 01:11AM

It's not all that common. I can't find anything local to me. This place has some interesting options but the shipping/handling are high.

http://www.wyldewoodcellars.com/order-wines-online.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 01:23AM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 19, 2022 12:11AM

My stuff comes from Mill Something (just looked at the bottle and already forgot) winery in Tenno, WA. I have to return the bottle when I’m done. 12% ABV!! Yikes. Might put some ice in the glass. (Shurrup, wine snobs)

They also gave me some apricot wine.

I’d kill to be able to grow apricots and peaches. Yum!

Date: October 19, 2022 06:32AM

Go look at the bottle again so I can look it up online. What does it taste like?

Date: October 20, 2022 12:49AM

These the peeps: https://milllanewinery.com/

Still haven’t opened. Today was a bad day for me w/r/t panic attacks, so I took anti anxiety meds. Here’s hoping for a better tomorrow!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 15, 2022 04:15PM

Date: October 15, 2022 04:15PM

Yes,

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: October 16, 2022 02:54AM

This board is quite a rocky place most of the time. No problem with that because most people here have had enough of being both softened up and passified.

Posted by: True Believer ( )
Date: October 16, 2022 08:47AM

I feel I would be remiss if I didn't also come before you this day to bear my witness as to the truthfulness of RfM and how much it has meant to me in my life. (Sniffle, sniffle) I would not be same person today without the saving power of this wonderful Church, and would no doubt even now remain in the clutches of Mormonism, to languish and perish forever in all stupidity and ignorance. I know that there is no God, there is no Jesus, there is no life after death, that Mormonism and all other God-based religions are false, and that Science is the master of the Universe. Oh how wonderful it is to be free of such nonsensical thinking, and to rejoice in the knowledge of the truth.

I know this Church is true, and that the posters who frequent the Board with their powerful intellects are true prophets, along with the 12 (or so) other wonderful posters who steadfastly follow them and continue to assure us that Satan and his church are alive and well, and must be overcome, and that Science is the true gospel.

May the god of Knowledge continue to bless each and every one of you, now and throughout all eternity, or until the end of the Universe, whichever comes first.

In the name of Science, the true religion free of all superstition and ignorance, I humbly pray,

AMEN.

Date: October 16, 2022 11:49AM

Lol!!!!

If Recovery From Mormonism is a church it has a lot of recalcitrant believers in non atheism. Many interesting and wonderful posters aren't atheists. What is their status in the church of RFM?

And unfortunately Science has no path to human enlightenment. What it does is clarify upon previous knowledge. It actually came from revealed knowledge. Many branches of Science trace their genealogy from religious believers who claim God inspired them.

But wonderful play on an LDS testimony. I'm betting yours was super strong before in came to pieces.

Mine wasn't. Back when I beloved I thought Mormonism was revealed truth but only enough to help us find real truth.

Finding out Smith was confused on whether he saw God and Jesus or Nephi was a sign to me that and a golden book's worth of crap in Mormon History.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: October 16, 2022 01:39PM

Amen Brutha.

HH =)

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 06:30PM

I am right with you. This website helped me keep from accidentally blowing up my marriage when I 'left the building' and likewise diminishing my relationship with two of my kids - maybe saving the life of one of them who is LGBD(AQ). My wife still goes, but all my children are out now.

I share your gratitude for this sight.

My username was a moment of snakiness. I used to be Mannaz. It has been a while since I've been on.

Date: October 17, 2022 09:20PM

I remember you :) I am happy to hear things are going well.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 09:27PM

I remember Mannaz too! So glad things worked out that well. Thanks for letting us know. It's great to hear from past posters that their lives are ok.

Date: October 21, 2022 09:18AM

I remember and I commiserate with you on navigating Mormonism with a partner.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 10:42AM

Hello all,
I haven't been here for a while and want to also express my thanks to all of you for all your understanding and wisdom over the last two decades. You've all been so amazing and I've learned so much from you as I laughed out loud and cried along with you too.
Thank you , thank you !!!

Date: October 20, 2022 12:43AM

So good to see you! How have you been?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 09:54AM

You are welcome EB and all others. The little site that I expected to have up for just a year is now measured in decades. Sigh. How did I get so old? Happy to have all of you here and for our current admins and admins in the past that made this possible.

Eric

Date: October 21, 2022 10:35AM

My personal thanks Eric. It is a weird road navigating life after Mormonism. Finding fellow travellers was a huge blessing for me personally.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.