Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 17, 2022 04:45AM

Some of you folks might remember that when COVID-19 hit, I decided to pick up a guitar for the first time in my life. I'd been wanting to learn to play for many years. For some reason, it took lockdowns and the threat of a mysterious and deadly virus to get me to pull the trigger.

I'm still playing guitar. I don't play super skillfully, but I have managed to scratch out a few songs. I even put up a couple of videos with me playing, although I haven't done any with me playing and singing on camera. I can now play barre chords, but I can't yet do them in time, unless I'm playing a really slow song. I'm sure that will come with more practice.

I've also been making more singing videos, including a few with me actually appearing on camera. And I've come to learn that it's true that people would rather see the singer than photos. I'm getting better at making the on screen videos, but sometimes they still don't turn out well. But anyway, I have put up a few more videos of me on camera, and I have to admit, they've done relatively well.

But I did get kind of a surprise last weekend, when I decided to record an 80s era song on a whim. In 1982, I was ten years old and horse crazy. That was the year the animated film, "The Last Unicorn" came out. The soundtrack was mostly done by Jimmy Webb and America, a 70s era band I've always enjoyed. I loved the title track, and found a backing track available. So I recorded it, and it's proved to be surprisingly popular (by my standards, anyway-- I am not a YouTube star by any means).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJQgh1ejcwM

I made a video to honor my husband's and my 20th wedding anniversary that was kind of popular, probably due to the occasion. But then I made a catty jazz video of a song called "So Long You Fool" that got a lot of engagement. I actually really loved making "So Long You Fool". I might need to find more catty jazz songs to do... maybe that's my forte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3SH2BLXUw0

I'm still working on getting dressed and putting on makeup for my videos... ;) My personal favorite song I've done recently is "Bill"... because it's for "my Bill".

Anyway, this has been a fun project. I've learned a lot-- not just about making music and playing guitar, but also about making videos and sound engineering. This morning, I was thinking about making a non-musical video about my dog, Arran, who has been undergoing chemo for the past two months. He's responded surprisingly well, especially given his age. Maybe I'll get to around to it. The pandemic has definitely sucked, but there's always a silver lining in almost every situation, if one looks hard enough to find it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 17, 2022 06:36AM

Both Gibson and Fender sold more guitars in 2020 than any year in both companies history. So COVID increased guitar sales. I bought a 2020 Les Paul Standard and it’s a much better guitar than the 72 Les Paul Custom I used to have.

Date: December 17, 2022 06:42AM

Yep... I have five guitars now. Four of them are Fenders! And I've been using Fender Play to learn, although I think I'm outgrowing it.

When I'm a little more skilled, I'd like to reward myself with a guitar made by a company that is known more for acoustic guitars. I definitely prefer playing acoustic over electric.

Date: December 17, 2022 06:45AM

Just keep playing and the speed will come. Also play with yours ears. Get the sounds of the different fingerings in your head. that really helps you get a feel for it. Yeah it’s important to memorize the notes on the neck and understand the more technical side of things but getting the sounds of the chords and positions in your head helps you make that guitar talk. Playing guitar is like signing your name. No two players are alike. Everyone has their different style. In time you will learn what your style is.

Date: December 17, 2022 06:48AM

I probably have 50 guitars. I have a bunch of Marshall and Fender amps. Been collecting the stuff since I was 12.

Date: December 17, 2022 06:53AM

One of the things I love about playing guitar is when I find myself playing a song that just pops into my head. Or I recognize chords in a song and realize I can play it if I want to. Before the pandemic, I couldn't do that. And it's getting easier for me to accompany myself on songs I've always wanted to do, but couldn't find backing tracks for.

At some point, I'd love to write a song and sing it. I've never tried songwriting, although I write all the time.

Date: December 17, 2022 07:00AM

I took classical guitar but got bored with it. I got two Gibson acoustics. A J-45 and a L-001. I like Martins as well but I’m a Gibson guy. Lots of good acoustic manufactures. You can get a pretty good beater acoustic and not have to spend a lot. I’ve played some Alvarez and Taylor’s that are pretty good.

Date: December 17, 2022 07:08AM

I’m a guitar and bass player. I’m a riff guy. I come up with riffs and if I’m working with other musicians we incorporate my riffs into songs. I’m not a singer. I can wordsmith lyrics pretty well.

For fun I like to play those dirty old blues songs from the 20’s and 30’s.

https://youtu.be/WY7PSvJ1430

Date: December 17, 2022 07:16AM

I like to make up parodies. I have kind of an off color sense of humor, too. A few years ago, I made a video called "Big Pink Dildo" set to "Big Yellow Taxi", because some woman in the local yard sale group was trying to sell a used toy. YouTube age restricted it. LOL

Date: December 17, 2022 07:19AM

OMG... love that link you shared!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 17, 2022 09:45AM

Playing music is a great hobby, which I got back into when I left Mormonism. As of today, I have 22 gigs or performances (at universities) scheduled through Sept. of 2023. That is something I would never of anticipated years ago. I get to meet interesting folks and have a good time. So keep up the guitar. You have a ways to catch up as I have 4 clarinets and 4 saxophones. You are a few instruments behind :-).

Date: December 17, 2022 10:35AM

I used to play clarinet myself, many years ago. I inherited my sister’s Signet. Took a year of band. I wish I had stuck with it.

I also took piano when I was very young and my teacher discovered I have perfect pitch. But I hated practicing and lacked discipline. My mom was an organist for many years and used to nag me a lot. So I quit piano… got a horse instead.

Didn’t sing a note until I was 18, but that was a life changer.

I do practice my guitar most days, but in short sessions. Maybe 2023 will be the year I do a guitar video with me playing on camera.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.