Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 10:31AM

At least the Book of Mormon has a useful noun for those who love to proclaim their righteousness. The book is rather useless otherwise.

On Tuesday I was set to perform at an assisted living facility where I play monthly. It is always at 10:30 AM as the residents are in bed by 6:00 PM, so no evening performances :-). They go to lunch afterwards. It is fun to play music from the 40's and 50's and to improvise some jazz to the tunes.

I finished setting up and ready to play at 10:30. They requested I play Christmas music and my first tune planned was a jazz version of Jingle Bells. In walks a minister to the front of the group that was in a semi-circle around me. He approaches a woman who must of been in his congregation. He starts singing Jingle Bells with her just as I was about to start. She remained quiet. I waited for him to finish. Then he sings another song to her. His voice was awful. He turns to me and mocks my instrumentation believing I just brought some toys in to pretend like I was playing. He had no idea of current technology for playing as a soloist with digital accompaniment. I had my iPad with Forscore, digital flute, acoustic amp and an alto sax. He was terribly condescending. He then puts one hand on this woman's shoulder and broadcasts a loud prayer, loud enough that the whole room could hear him. It caused me to start late.

I was pissed. Fortunately, after playing a couple of tunes and getting applause from the staff and residents I stopped thinking about this guy. When I got home I reflected on what makes a person like that individual. The Rameumptom came to mind. Mormonism never seems to completely leave me. Sigh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 10:58AM

Poor guy. How are people supposed to know you are the most holy and righteous on earth unless you advertise? :)

My brother has a virtual Rameumptom he takes with him everywhere so everyone knows how wonderful he is and he always finishes by saying how humble and pure of heart he is. No. Not kidding. I've even caught my TBM mother trying not to roll her eyes.

Nice to remember it's not just Mormon's doing that crap. Arrogance is an equal opportunity employer.

I love that you did that for the assisted living BTW. My mother is in one now and those kinds of things like your concert are heaven for them.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 10:59AM

I suspect he was an idiot long before he became an evangelical, if indeed he was.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 11:50AM

Wow. That was rude and inappropriate of him to interrupt and butt in when they had a guest there to perform.

He probably is used to being the center of attention and thinks musicians are there to accompany whatever he decides is going on. What a boor. The world is his Rameumptom.

It's admirable that you do that for the assisted living residents. What a treat for them.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 12:41PM

These public performance-art christians are precisely the group that bible Jesus (who they claim to worship) ripped to shreds in Matthew 23.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 12:50PM

Mormonism has tons of useful things in it. The problem for Mormons is these things make it look like what it is - a 19th Century creative Commons of folk wisdom and beliefs.

The book of Mormon has others. I love the story of Korihor. It shows a person who believes more in the devil than God. How many people are more motivated by the devil than God? That man was a devil passing himself off as a man of God and mocking music and technology in the process.

How many times does a Mormon leader do this? They will speak in general conference about the evils of technology as if Satan himself created social media. And they support these platforms with their ads.

Mormonism is creative multi-level marketing evangelicalism. They didn't invent Rameumptons. Joe saw those guys and wanted to be one of them...

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 23, 2022 01:45PM

I had to look up Rameumpton. I see the literal Mormon usage - never heard of it or don't recall it at all.

It's also defined as a metaphor for self-aggrandizement.

That fits this guy's behaviour. What a fool, and worse. Rude too.

Eric, your description of your instruments is interesting. You're very talented. The sax and the flute in particular sound like lovely accompaniments for you.

I'm sure the folks enjoyed and appreciated your performance. They must look forward to your monthly visits. Especially if that guy keeps singing at them. They'd need a break to take in some real music.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.