Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 06:01PM

ok ~

so ~

if all essential oils ceased to exist tomorrow ~

how long could exmo civilization expected to be continue to exist ? ~

asking for a friend ~

thx ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 06:08PM

I suppose as long as there are still crystals they'd be fine.

Factoid: Sitar players put oil on their finger tips so they slide up and down the strings easily when playing. It's very difficult to play with out it. Speaking from experience.

out B4 ziller wants me to play a raga ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 06:12PM

Sure. That was a sitar you were playing with.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 06:33PM

I have three but alas, I can only play them one at a time.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 07:41PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> out B4 ziller wants me to play a raga ~

Raggae on a sitar? That would be

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 07:15PM

So MO’s are into essential oils and crystals now? That’s so new age. I guess Russ will start talking about UFO’s and orbs next.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 04:22PM

He ain't no Jim Mormonson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 11:03PM

Essential oils aren't.

Posted by: botchan ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 08:15AM

I have a question. My wife and I occasionally add a few drops of essential oil to our diffuser/humidifier because we like the smell, and it contributes to a pleasant atmosphere. We buy them at a home furnishing store or on Amazon. I’ve never associated them with MLMs, woo-woo, or healing powers. Are those really things, and are they associated with mormons or exmormons?

As for the name, they’re not essential as in necessary or indispensable, they are essential in that they contain the essence, which means extracted fragrance, of a flower, wood, spice etc. They are called essential oils to distinguish them from artificially scented oils.

Will someone please enlighten me as to why they seem to have a bad rap?

Posted by: Out and about ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 09:11AM

I personally enjoy herbs and essen tial oils. Both can be used to help certain issues or as you mentioned to create a more pleasant atmosphere.

The bad rap comes in because some people have
A. A cult like following to overpriced MLM suppliers.

B.Delusions grandeur about the oils. "Put on the Frankincense and become immortal.

C. Encouraged others to use the oils undilted or put them in drinking water.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 01:42PM

You've fallen for the marketing ploy. By calling them "essential" oils rather than essence oils, they have created an idea in your mind that they are necessary.

Date: January 09, 2023 09:46AM

Thank you for the explanation.

A. That’s a shame since they can be found easily at reasonable prices.

B. I think essential oils have an effect similar to music: Some are calming or relaxing, some are bright or uplifting, and some do nothing for me. Apparently some people have higher expectations.

C. Like many things, essential oils can definitely have undesirable effects when used improperly. It’s a shame because that can be avoided with a little information, and I think there can definitely be some benefits, though I never tell anyone they should use them.

Thank you again. I’m in Japan, and maybe things are looked at differently.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 12:35PM

botchan, you are confusing different things.

"Essential oils" in the States means oils that have magical therapeutic properties and essentially substitute for medical or psychological treatment. Tara Westover, whose book Educated retailed her struggle to escape her radically conservative Mormon family, describes in part her mother's "essential oils" business.

Mom, LaRee Westover, is opposed not just to COVID vaccines but to all vaccines, which she thinks cause all sorts of diseases.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5042536942438760&set=a.175098642515972

She asserts that her "essential oils," by contrast, can cure everything from COVID to pattern baldness.

https://butterflyexpress.shop/

On that page you'll see Tara's mother's new products, including one that will "release cellular memory" and another that will help you with "weight loss."

//butterflyexpressions.net/2022/12/07/jan-2023-releasing-cellular-memory-weight-loss/

Westover also sell oils that will heal your abuse, stop your fear of being alone, bolster your intuition, etc.

https://www.butterflyexpressions.org/Handouts/EssentialOilsForVariousEmotions.pdf

Tara says that her mother employs several family members and makes millions every year from purveying these quack remedies.

Obviously these "essential oils" are not the lavender or cedar fragrances that you and your wife use as a sort of perfume or room freshener. So the confusion arises from the unusual way in which people in North America use the term.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 04:02PM

now that's what you call an essential oil.

Date: January 09, 2023 10:18PM

My eyes have been opened. As always, Lot’s Wife, your explanation was illuminating, as was Out and about’s.

Dave the Atheist, if by “you” you mean me, I’m afraid I wasn’t clear. I’ve never thought that essential oils were necessary or indispensable, and always assumed it referred to plant essences. It appears to me that dishonest marketers have purposely taken advantage of the fact that words often have more than one meaning.

Thank you all. I’ve been edumacated.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 01:41AM

The only "essential" oils are in your car. If you want to prove this theory, try driving without them!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 09:38AM

Calling them “essential” is confusing, and deliberately so. There is money to be made by convincing people, even subconsciously, that they can fix or cure something in their life with oils that are somehow necessary.

They are aromatic oils. They have an aroma, hopefully pleasant. Period.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 12, 2023 12:34PM

I was at the worst hospital in our tri-county area. It was an emergency so I had no choice.

I wake up in the recovery room and first thing I'm asked what essential oil I'd like. I said "none." That was the last time I saw a person in the recovery room.

I'm sparing you all the rest of the story.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 12, 2023 02:52PM

LDS women will sign up for Zumba lessons, why not pole dancing?

Here's an established pole-dancing enterprise to model the business plan:

https://i0.wp.com/politicallyincorrecthumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/michaels-strip-joint-chicken-strips-sign.jpg?w=520&ssl=1

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.