Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gaffer ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 03:10PM

This just in....Ex-Mormons Are Running a Magic Mushroom Church.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akexaa/magic-mushroom-mormon-church-utah

peace out...Gaffer

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 03:19PM

I think the Washington (+ Oregon ?) legislatures have considered legallizing or at least 'de-criminalizing' magic shrooms...

IDK if they are Federally Controlled Substances, anyone?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 16, 2023 08:01PM

The only way Washington would "de-criminalize" shrooms is so that they can tax the crap out of it.

You'll need a permit to grow it, a permit to harvest it, a permit to clean and package, a permit to transport it, a permit to sell it and a tax to buy it. Did I miss any possible other taxes?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 03:42PM

They grow in the pastures in and around Puget Sound, WA. I used to pick bags of them near Everett when I was a teenager.

One night, some friends and I went out to pick, we didn't find any and when we got back to the car, the farmer/land owner was there with a sheriff. He explained we were looking at a $300 fine for trespassing. He asked for our names and when I told him mine he said "are you XXXXXX's little brother?" I was so I said yes. He walked over to the farmer, had a little chat, came back and said we could all leave now and the only reason was because he knew my brother and he wouldn't like the fact that I was out picking shrooms. Close call but we were all very happy not to get busted and pay a fine.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 03:45PM

Do you have any personal insight on the proposition that 'shrooms do permanent brain damage?

Jesus denies it but his arguments don't strike me as particularly well thought out.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 04:16PM

I guess it was slightly in your favor U didn't find / possess any; otherwise the Deputy could have claimed it was his duty to arrest U...

Also, was the car parked on the road or shoulder?

Details have a way of adding up with law officers.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:47PM

In my opinion, the only detail that added up was the fact that he new my older brother :) Yippee!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 04:18PM

No, man, you women don’t listen so good!

I said that the jury duty notices hadn’t even gone out yet!

Give the authorities the necessary time to move upon the waters.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:45PM

>> Do you have any personal insight on the proposition that 'shrooms do permanent brain damage? <<

My damage personal do brain insight have shrooms permanent proposition any do have you back way pick cause sheriff the farmer in way too buzzed huge bag 3rd period school by class.....and ohhhh the colors wall melting bell rings!

That's as clear as I can think since my high school shroom picking days, beyond that I really don't remember. So maybe they do and maybe they don't. I'd have to take them again to be sure, maybe a few times.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:47PM

I clearly went to the wrong high school. . .

Date: February 15, 2023 05:49PM

Or you just never picked shrooms.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:53PM

Where was I to learn without your expertise?

My heavens, I'm just learning why the ones I bought at Kroger's don't work.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:58PM

Try the canned ones about 3 or 4 years after the use by date.

Date: February 15, 2023 05:59PM

For that I could just go over to Jesus's place for lunch.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 06:59PM

Get here early!  Remember, I'm only allowed two visitors . . .

Date: February 15, 2023 07:28PM

I shudder to think where you hide the shrooms the visitors bring you,

Posted by: s ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 04:18PM

reason Farmer Buzzkill called the cops was because he was tired of losing valuable product to teenage poachers. You were cutting into his lucrative side business. Also, on topic, I watched this cool Netflix doco on "Amazing Fungi" The program at one point postulated that our ancient forebears first had their minds quickened by eating magic mushrooms and theorized that our rapid increase in intelligence was the direct result. Not sure about that. They were picking their food out of cow manure after all.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 04:41PM

Oregon did not just make it a free for all. There are a lot of restrictions and it is only for licensed centers with supervision. NOT for recreation. This is not like smoking pot folks. This is heavy duty stuff and it should not be treated lightly.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/news/2023/01/oregon-legalize-magic-mushrooms/

Link fixed. I have a hell of a headache.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 04:50PM by Susan I/S.

Date: February 15, 2023 04:44PM

A circular link. I love it!

But it does raise the question. Could it be, Susan?

ETA: Darn it, Susan, it was more fun with the old link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 05:48PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 09:34PM

Shrooms are a cure for migraines.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 08:36PM

A most informative bit from a couple years back.

Posted by: praydude
Date: August 13, 2020
Re: J.S. History: money diggers and occult folk magic
Don't forget about the hallucinogenic properties of this plant.

Datura stramonium

Native to North America, it is also called Thorn Apple, Jimson weed, or Jamestown weed.

It has been theorized that JOEco used substances like this to induce hallucinogenic trips among his followers.

This also explains the extreme nature of the visions and angelic visitations among the early church members.
Posted by: macaRomney
Date: August 09, 2020 07:09PM

Date: February 15, 2023 09:17PM

It's an interesting theory but there is no evidence for it. Not even JS's fiercest enemies--people who had worked closely with him, knew his tricks, and subsequently publicized them--ever made that accusation.

Nor are hallucinogens necessary to explain the early claims, many of which--including the Kirtland Temple and supposed transformation of BY's face into that of JS--were not even attested until decades after the fact. But assuming, again without evidence, that those experiences were genuine, they do not require the consumption of drugs. Anyone who doubts the visionary potential of peer pressure need only recall the effects of Chinese "re-education" during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution or the effect of Hitler's fulminations before large gatherings of his compatriots.

You don't need extraneous theories to explain the irrationality of the average human being.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 17, 2023 02:09PM

I suspect that the early "saints" were dosed with hallucinogens without their consent. It would explain the visions of angels and the like at the Nauvoo temple dedication, among other visions. It does seem like the visions rapidly dropped off the radar after Smith's death.

Date: February 17, 2023 02:16PM

If you are talking about the visions in the Kirtland temple, it's important to remember that there are no contemporary accounts of anything like that happening. The accounts came later and grew more extreme with the retelling. The stories we heard actually date to the 1870s in Utah.

So your theory purports to explain events that probably never occurred.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 09:15PM

Before I made the mistake of taking my Dad’s MORmONism seriously, I was attending a Liberal Arts college, and a friend of mine put himself through college by picking shrooms all fall/ winter long in the cow pastures in the Green River valley dairy farms. Then in the summer he’d go to AZ and sell them for a small fortune, at least enough to pay for college.
We were camping out in the woods by the beach after school got out for the summer and he gave me some shrooms.
It was late at night and I swam out on the Puget Sound with a black lab and ended up hearing and feeling the low vibrations of a whale, echolocating me and my dog.
I immediately thought, “Whale”
And so did the lab, who was headed to shore.
I followed him.
The next day I asked the lab’s owner, who lived on the beach if it was possible that I heard/felt a whale echolocating. He said,”This is where they caught all the whales for Seaworld.
It’s the dead end of the Puget Sound.
The next time I did it was 40yrs later, on my way to Little Beach, in Maui. A Hippie sitting on the lava tube between Red Hill and Molokai had a suitcase full of every kind of delicious herbs and shrooms. I partook of the fruit of knowledge.
I swam with technicolor octopuses while I listened to whales sing love songs.
Those are the only two times I did shrooms and I still believe they were both really whales singing. Both times.
And I’d do it again if the opportunity presented itself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 09:27PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 17, 2023 02:16PM

I am so glad to hear you had a great experience! My wife and I have micro-dosed a bit since her father's passing. We find it helpful to deal with the depression and grief.

To me, mushrooms just give a different perspective on things. That, and they help to re-size emotional trauma to something more manageable.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 11:11PM

I still maintain Joseph Smith ate some funny mushrooms in the woods and had a trip.

Date: February 15, 2023 11:31PM

Can you produce any evidence to support that proposition?

What about the several other people in the area who all had basically the same vision--seeing God, being forgiven their sins, vouchsafed special insights into deity, etc? Did they also take hallucinogens?

And if the answer is yes, can you suggest the hallucinogen that always produced the same vision?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 16, 2023 12:44AM

Ha! Ha! I was joking. Don’t be so gulliable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 17, 2023 02:20PM

Excuse you what?

Date: February 18, 2023 07:12AM

That would be an anachronism. Shrooms became a thing after ethnobotanist Terence McKenna brought them from South America and wrote books about their cultivation. Psilocybin mushrooms in upstate NY in 1820 would be quite a stretch. The climate is all wrong for starters. Maybe Amanita Muscaria would grow in the wild, but the reports aren't much on visionary states.

Joseph Smith was a storyteller who believed his own stories. He seems to have been genetically predisposed, and then his mother Lucy Mack encouraged him. I would call her the genesis of Mormonism.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: February 16, 2023 07:56AM

I dunno... Your standard for credulity has to be low enough already to find religion after Mormonism. But how low does it have to be to take the "mind-expanding, you'll think you're seeing god and getting the secrets of the universe" mushrooms and totally buy into the experience you had? Like, you knew what they did to your body, how they would alter your perception before you took them. But no, you're right, the secrets of everything truly are unlocked by ingesting fungus and getting low-key poisoned.

This coverage finally hit Philip Defranco's show and it created a moment where I had the perception (very likely biased) that Mormons and ex-Mormons have been in the news a lot recently.

Date: February 18, 2023 07:36AM

Mormonism is experiential. It's all about the feels. Psychedelics go hand in hand with that paradigm. It's no wonder they are catching on in the Mormonish community.

Tryptamines like psylocin are technically not poisons. Your body produces endogenous DMT for receptors in the brain. Flooding those receptors produces a mystical religious-like experience.

That doesn't mean shrooms are psychologically safe. If you are mentally near the abyss, will they pull you back or push you over the edge? Safer to not find out. That's why legalization efforts require a trained therapist. They are not toys.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.