Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 04:13PM

The Temple is long gone, no more animal sacrifices, right?

https://www.jns.org/activist-arrested-on-suspicion-of-planning-animal-sacrifice-on-temple-mount/

Israeli police on Monday arrested a Jewish activist on suspicion of planning to perform a Passover sacrifice on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount.

Raphael Morris, the head of the Return to the Mount movement, was detained while driving with his son near Latrun, some 16 miles west of Jerusalem, the group said in a statement.

The activist has in previous years been detained ahead of Passover, in a preemptive move by Israeli authorities to prevent the revival of the ancient Israelite practice of conducting Qorban Pesach, the ritual slaughter of a lamb or a goat at the Temple in Jerusalem on the eve of Passover, which this year falls on Wednesday.

While still practiced by the Beta Israel, Karaite and Samaritan communities, Rabbinic Jews do not perform the sacrifice although there are growing calls to revive the practice. A letter signed by 15 rabbis last month and addressed to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir called for Jews to be allowed to once again carry out the ritual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 05:42PM

"The Return to the Mount" movement.

That's all we need to know, isn't it? Cultural revanchism, the common political ploy of "restoring" the cult's, or the ethnicity's, ancient practices as a means of garnering influence today.

Hitler reaches back to the "volk," Putin reaches back to the Peter the Great and Ivan the Terrible, Joseph Smith reaches back to "original" Christianity. Legitimacy stems from the resurrection of society's ancient practices and beliefs.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 06:27PM

And the fundies love it. Part of their end-times drivel. Animal sacrifice, the 3rd Temple, and Armageddon! Good times.

Laugh's on them. They don't know that the mormons also intend to bring back their own ritual animal sacrifice – the genuine god-approved article, not this Jewish cosplay version. </s>

"To complete the restoration of all things, apparently on a one-time basis, sacrifices will again be offered in this dispensation… Malachi foretold that such offerings would be attended to again in the day of the Second Coming of Christ." (Bruce the McConkie, "Mo Doctrine," p. 666 [no, really!])

Date: April 06, 2023 06:32PM

D&C 13:1 says that JS and Oliver Cowdery will have the Aaronic priesthood "until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."

So yeah, Mormons gonna burn lambs again.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 12:42AM

My vote (I am a Jew by choice--which means: I am a legal convert according to Jewish law):

NO ANIMAL SACRIFICE AGAIN.....N-O-T E-V-E-R!!!!!

This is, in my opinion, right wing, Ultra-Orthodox, Jewish narishkeit ["foolishness"].

Translation: Basically, this is mainly intended as a political ploy by right wing Jewish interests.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2023 12:44AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 05:17AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 06:00PM

I'm with you, Tevai. I find the entire concept of animal sacrifice "because God requires it" to be distasteful. Surely we have moved beyond that.

It's not just some right-wing Jews who are bringing that up. I read that a certain Nordic pagan group is engaging in it as well.

Date: April 07, 2023 02:24AM

The Q12 as practitioners of Santeria. I guess that’s what they do in their Thursday seances.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 05:39PM

in b 4 ~

they is a movement ~

to rebuild a 3rd temple ~

which wood hasten ~

"the end of the world" ~

an idea which exmos generally are against ~

which is why they must be stopped ~

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 06:01PM

I like my animal sacrifices medium rare . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.