Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 09:47AM

Reddit
r/ExMormon

My reply to "Tell me you grew up in a cult without telling me you grew up in a cult" on 4/29/2023:

Just remember to give equal time to the scriptures. – My former bishop at tithing settlement about four months into my deconstruction of church doctrine and history and 10 months before I resigned

It's OK to have doubts but if you ever teach anyone about them, you know what I'll have to do. – My former SP about 8 months before I resigned

Viejo_Libre

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 10:17AM

That is a good one cuzx.

I promised to slit my throat and disembowel myself should I divulge the temple secrets.

Yours truly,

Elias

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 11:08AM

When reading the prophecy about Joseph Smith himself bringing forth the record within the BoM and it briefly occurs to you that seems like a narcissistic thing someone might do to try to "prove" they're a magical person who translated an ancient book. And you shut down the entire thought with a hurried, "sounds like Satan trying to pull me away from the truth!"

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 08:04PM

Joseph's reaction to being exposed by Nancy Rigdon was classic narcissist. It was Joseph who was "a whore from his mother's breast".

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 03:44PM

I have had to unlearn more than I've learned.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 12:32PM

This is so true.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 08:12PM

On the airplane to my mission, an older Bostonian gentleman started a conversation. About two drinks in, his questions grew sharper.

At some point I said that God would kill off a prophet rather than allow him to lead the church astray. The elderly man (probably in his 50s but that seemed old from my perspective) shook his head and said, "you have a lot to learn."

I smiled, thinking to myself that the man was clueless. The other missionaries, sharing my self-assurance, smiled too.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 08:15PM

After the Home Teachers left we had Family Home Evening and then some root beer floats. They were delicious to the taste and very desirable.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:25AM

My parents told us as kids that paying our tithing was our 'fire insurance' so that we might not perish at the 2nd coming.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:46AM

I was required to by 19th century style underwear from my church, and was regularly quizzed as to whether I was "faithfully" wearing said underwear.

Nothing culty about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 01:46AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 02:03AM

I bet you were felt up a time or too as well...you know, the garmie check. I never experienced that because I didn't go through the temple of doom, but I can clearly look back and remember seeing the bishop always touching people's shoulders and now I know why. Cringe.

Posted by: Tweedle Dee ( )
Date: May 04, 2023 09:39PM

My mother used to pull my blouse forward and look in to see that I were wearing garments. Omg! Weirdo! Nothing to see here now!

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 04, 2023 11:48PM

Oh yeah, when i complained about the garmies not fitting me right and i have sensitive skin My bishie tells me those are sacred from our God and we shouldn’t speak ill of them.

I mean what is wrong with making them more comfortable. At least hold my junk the way my butt huggers craddled them.

Date: May 05, 2023 11:19AM

Scrotum lift.

Date: April 30, 2023 12:39PM

I was taught family was all about the love we shared forever.

My daughter is stressing and it is because of me. She wants me to make the call whether she invites anyone in my family to her temple marriage later this year. I can't go to it myself. My little family has next to nothing to do with my mother and siblings.

I don't know what to do. But family is all about the love we share forever.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:33PM

but I made sure I got there when I thought the ceremony would be over and I was about 100% right on the time. My older sister and her husband are the only two from my family and my mom's sister and her husband. I don't consider her husband my family--my aunt's husband.

My ex's sister was totally clueless. She came up to me and told me how beautiful it was. Lots of members of this ward were invited to the temple ceremony. That was interesting. My daughter's favorite mormon mother was on a mission with her husband at the time, so at least I didn't have to deal with her being there.
-
I did fine until my aunt sent me that e-mail I posted back 4+ years ago a few days later giving me a play by play.

I wouldn't open any e-mails from mormon family after the temple wedding. I assume your daughter is not getting married outside first? They changed it just after my daughter got married and when I asked her what she would have done it she could have gotten married civilly first and I knew before she told me. I did it. I got married in the temple. Stupid me. I did a lot of stupid things when I got married now didn't I? I'm chuckling.

My daughter thankfully didn't ask for extended family members except her dad's two clueless sisters. I like his BILs! They like me. They aren't stupid like his sisters are.

It was easier than I thought in many ways and more difficult in other ways more because it was where I got married. NOW that was bizarre.

I just remembered what bothered me that day and other times. Many people in this ward/neighborhood tell me what a wonderful daughter I have and I always think, "I wonder who raised her???" There is not one person who was at the wedding for my daughter who should have been there except my sister and her husband. My kids are very close to my family, especially this sister and her kids. I really like her husband's family, so I have no issues with his side.

When I think back to my wedding, there really wasn't anyone there I wanted there except my parents and this same sister and her husband (the rest are all heathens--it took me a while to follow in their footsteps). I was too messed up to know who to invite. I paused at the alter and my future husband said you can't back out now.

Most people that I know are disappointed in the wedding. My dad really was!!! He just said it was BIZARRE and that they were in there all day!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 01:38PM by cl2.

Date: April 30, 2023 07:28PM

I appreciate your post. I love that you arrived just in time. I wish I could do that.

Posted by: Tig not logged in ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:04PM

My church picked out my underwear.

Date: April 30, 2023 01:06PM

Many churches influence underwear choice.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 04:31PM

For example……

Date: April 30, 2023 05:08PM

For example Google this.

"choosing appropriate underwear as a Christian"

Date: April 30, 2023 07:43PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2023 10:20AM by blackcoatsdaughter.

Date: May 01, 2023 09:18AM

I dunno. I said influenced. In have an Evangelical friend who won't wear shorts or short sleeves because of his religion (Pentecostal if you need a specific one) and has mentioned how for him exposing flesh is like walking around in your underwear.

Date: May 01, 2023 09:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2023 10:20AM by blackcoatsdaughter.

Date: May 01, 2023 10:17AM

Shy? Lol. It is an aside and not on topic. So? As for underwear, to me personally, this isn't a true sign of a cult.

Date: May 01, 2023 11:43AM

Interesting. Different opinions and no belittling or name calling and you tell me not to talk to you.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 01, 2023 04:42PM

...I think the Pentecostals have joined the c--t (well, the OP said not to use the word) train.

Date: May 01, 2023 07:49PM

I don't think so. They rock at their church and dance to the spirit.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 03:24PM

For my birthday when I was a child, my grandmother would send me a birthday card with a five dollar bill enclosed. The card was usually intercepted by my mother who would replace the five dollar bill with four one dollar bills and a dollar in change so that I could pay tithing on the gift.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 04:16PM

My family didn't get a game console until I was sixteen because Mom thought video games were a tool of Satan to turn kids gay.

And when I was a deacon, I got chewed out for stopping to get food at a friend's house just before collecting tithing envelopes. The tithing envelopes still went out that Sunday and came back, what's the point of berating twelve-year-olds for grabbing a couple pieces of bread beforehand? Besides training them to be God's loan sharks?

ETA: in addition to grabbing bread in that incident, we also went home to grab umbrellas, since it was raining. I didn't think soaked checks were cashable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 04:26PM by ookami.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 04:27PM

Displaying a picture of the LDS first presidency on the wall along with a picture of the local temple.

Wearing antiquated style underwear stitched with Masonic stone cutting symbols.

Viewing coffee drinkers as sinners.

Feeling uncomfortable around people who don't believe the weird sh_t that Mormons believe.

Feeling a stronger loyalty to a religious organization than to loved ones.

Excluding friends and family members from a wedding ceremony because they don't have a temple recommend.

Believing that a man who was a conman, treasure seeking womanizer was chosen by God to lead the only true church.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 04:30PM

I grew up believing these were the ‘Latter Days’ so much so we called ourselves,”Latter Day Saints” as if we were ‘saints’ and the apocalypse was any day now, which we gladly welcomed with open arms, because we were safe, because we paid our ‘fire insurance’ aka ‘tithing’!
And everybody else was not going to survive the Earth being turned into a sun again.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 08:00PM

Strangers calling each other "brother" or "sister" has always bothered me.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 08:33PM

Plus, wouldn't that mean that TBMs marrying other TBMs are committing a form of incest?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 09:08PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strangers calling each other "brother" or "sister"
> has always bothered me.

I know what you mean, brother!

Date: April 30, 2023 09:23PM

Dammit ! *LOL*

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 01, 2023 04:57PM

I always got the pause and stare from leadership during my final years of off and on attendance.

They would call me Brother and I would look at them and say, "you don't look like my brother". Then I would ask which one from which city. Which would then cause the stare.

I would then finish with, "You're not my brother, your an acquaintance, please call me by the name given me by my actual mother." It took a couple of years, but nobody refers to me as "Brother", not even my actual brothers.

Date: April 30, 2023 08:10PM

We were on our first vacation after I was mentally out but two months before I had resigned. I needed some new undies (hadn't packed enough) and they don't sell them at the ABC tourist stores in Waikiki. I finally broke down and asked a passerby about nearby clothing stores. It sounded like she said "Meshies." She was telling me Macy's. LOL!

Date: May 01, 2023 10:25AM

It's odd, in retrospect, that it took so long for me to discard the garmies and opt for regular underwear. You'd think that would be one of first things to go after one's shelf breaks.

Date: May 01, 2023 11:41AM

It took me a long time as well

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 01, 2023 09:56PM

Me too! When I finally threw out my garments, years after I had stopped wearing them, I followed the LDS guidelines and cut up the stitched in masonic symbols into little pieces and then discarded the garments. The Mormon fear mongering runs deep.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 02, 2023 02:05AM

As a BIC I did everything wrong to piss off church leaders.

I think I could write a book titled - How to really annoy people without even trying.

Here's one: Partake of sacrament using your left hand.

Apparently, there was an article in a church magazine around 1958 that declared it was sacrilegious to use your southpaw.

Date: May 02, 2023 02:11AM

A cult will not allow you to leave with your dignity intact.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2023 05:47PM

First Sunday of the month I had to go ask poor widows and single moms for a donation....for poor people.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 04, 2023 11:53PM

When inquiring of my ZL companion about oral sex, he tells me that oral is mocking god lmao. Even better, i tell the other two Elders in my district and one of them imitates the ZL in bed when his wife starts going down on him, he screams “wha! what are u doing!”. LOL!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.