Date: July 19, 2023 11:30AM
Ballard and his movie go beyond "mistakes". My sense is that they deliberately exaggerate, exploit, and lie about their efforts.
T-Bone asked for "the ideal person to be the face of the anti-exploitation movement." Perhaps THORN, the group advocated by Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher answers that plea.https://www.thorn.org/about-our-fight-against-sexual-exploitation-of-children/
In the meantime, interested parties might want to watch the Op-Ed video Lynn Packer produced three years ago re: Tim Ballard, UT AG Sean Reyes, O.U.R, and "The Sound of Freedom" addressing these concerns:
- Stockpiling $30M in donations that are not being used to save children.
- Excessive compensation to Tim Ballard (over $300k/year).
- Unethical accounting that now is likely hiding Tim Ballard's total compensation.
- Lavish expenditures (e.g., first-class flights, 5-star hotels, dramatic helicopter appearances) with no financial accountability about how funds are used.
- Using false statistics to overstate the prevalence of child sex trafficking worldwide to lure donors.
- Using excessive emotion and religious manipulation to lure donors, including claims to be called of God, and to be protected by God in OUR's work.
- Using affinity with Mormon celebrities like Mormon apostle M. Russell Ballard, Glenn Beck, and Elizabeth/Ed Smart to lure donors.
- Claiming credit for raids that they were not involved with.
- Engaging in illegal and unsafe raids (jump teams) that often yield no positive results.
- Alleged unsavory behavior of jump team members, including illegal drug use during raids, sexual assault, etc.
- Drawing money and attention away from legitimate charities who are meaningfully providing solutions to the problems OUR decries.
- Victimizing and politicizing the suffering of children for political gain (Sean Reyes).
- Associating with and taking advantage of known false conspiracy theories like QAnon.
- Using the LDS Church's law firm (Kirton & McConkie) to intimidate and silence whistleblowers.
- In summary, manipulating wealthy donors through religious and patriotic emotion and misusing or misallocating funds, all on the backs of a very vulnerable population.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_cM6mZgD2E