Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 12:30PM

I couldn't find another topic discussing this.

There is a video from RFM that recently popped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TA707YeWc

It says it is a transcript of the 2nd Annointing. I read a LOT faster than I can watch something like this (an hour long...sorry, I suppose I'm from that "younger" generation with no patience. An hour is just too long for a video about a subject that...while interesting...is not something I want to really invest that amount of time into).

In the comments others ask for an actual transcript and they say there is one...but I cannot find it (I assume they are meaning it is subtitles written in the video...I don't want to spend THAT much time just watching a video).

Can anyone find an actual transcript or the supposed transcript they say they also have where we can read the thing out?

Or, does anyone want to type it out?

Thank you.

On a secondary note on this, it is this type of stuff that kind of makes me peeved about the LDS church at times. Members seem to say that it is open to all, but this seems to point out that only a select few get to actually go to their heaven. This ordinance only seem to go the rich and powerful of the church (didn't Jesus teach that you should be more like the poor and humble and it was nigh impossible for a rich person to get to heaven?).

It seems to me (the Widow's Mite) that according to Jesus, the poor actually sacrifice far MORE than the rich in the worship, yet, this ordinance seem to ignore those who sacrifice the most (the poor but faithful and active of their church) and promote those who seem to be the opposite of what was described in the New Testament (the Rich and Powerful) as the only ones to get salvation.

I may be wrong though. This ordinance may actually say something very different. It would be very useful to actually be able to read what it says. That is why I would like to read the actual transcript wording rather than try to watch an hour long video.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 12:41PM

I think the RFM on that video refers to a guy who calls himself Radio Free Mormon, or something like that.

The ceremony doesn't take an hour - that is the length of the radio program. That said, I won't spend an hour listening to it either. It's not like I would return to the fold if they said something wonderful. It's a marketing promo where they give the recipient a unicorn. I am no longer interested in having more unicorns.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 01:14PM

I'm under the impression that prior to the St. George temple, none of the temple ceremony scripts had ever been officially put down on paper.

Wilford Woodruff, the temple's first president, sought to remedy that and called a conference so that those "in the know" could huddle up and prepare an official set of scripts. (Jesus used to say this to the apostles: "Okay, guys, huddle up...")

(Wilford Woodruss is also the glory-hog idiot who announced that the principal forefather American founders all appeared to him in a dream, demanding that their 'temple work' be done for them when, in fact, they'd all dead-dunked multiple times.)

My point is that it is just as likely that the 2nd Annoying (official RfM spelling) existed for quite some time as an oral tradition, assuming that there does now exist an 'official' version.

I personally suspect that it's like when very important men (such as myself) get set apart to have more power than the Pope ... as an ordained Deacon. (Tremble; cower in fear, lest I point my pinkie finger at you...)

So, en fin, it's not like blessing the snackerment; the officiator has been told he has the power to give the gift, and so he gives it, very likely in much the same manner in which it was bestowed upon him.

(If you ever cite me as a point of authority on this issue, you are required to donate $6.66 to our church building fund.)

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 11:36AM

“Appeared in a dream?” You mean like Joseph saw Jesus and God Daddy in a dream/vision, or Moroni? I have better dreams on Ambien and a box of wine! Just kidding about the Ambien.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 06:34PM

If you use the YouTube app or a desktop version of a browser, YouTube has a transcript function. Usually hidden in the more menu below the video.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 07:56PM

dogbloggernli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you use the YouTube app or a desktop version of
> a browser, YouTube has a transcript function.
> Usually hidden in the more menu below the video.

Yes, for me it's the last option on the right hand side of the screen below the video - just 3 little dots (I don't know what that is actually called) but I clicked on it and the script came up.

I listened for a couple of minutes but already got fed up - the speaker hasn't got to the point yet, he speaks very quickly and meanwhile his fundraising requests are front and centre. He keeps saying he's going to be "performing" the ritual but I didn't wait once I saw the "script" pop up. I scrolled down a bit but so far it's just him still yakking.

Maybe you can find a part that interests you if you figure out what to click on to get the script up.

So far I just found it a bit annoying. It could be me - too hot and fed up for today.

Hope you can access what you're looking for.

Date: July 18, 2023 10:25AM

It seems this transcript is from one of the fundamentalist offshoots and the script is believed to be close to what the LDS did/do.

The script is interspersed with theorizing by the host who's reading it with extra commentary from their knowledge of Hans mattson and Tom Phillips experiences.

My guess is that the white apron is not part of what the current practice is. I don't recall them mentioning the hosanna shout in Tom Phillips or Mattsons recountings.

I suspect the wedding feast option is part of a polygamist practice and not part of what the mainstream LDS offers.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 10:43AM

This is Tom Phillips's account of his 2nd annointing. I think it's as close as you are going to get. He can't remember every last detail, but it's a thorough account of his experience.

http://www.mormonthink.com/files/tom-phillips-second-anointing.pdf

As a nevermo, the 2A strikes me as being a "get out of jail free" card given to those in the inside circle. Mormonism has always had insiders and outsiders, going back to the early times when polygamy was first instituted. Some members knew about the polygamy, but many didn't at first. I'm wondering if JS drew from his experience as a Mason, where there are different degrees, and new knowledge is doled out accordingly the higher you get in the organization.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 04:09PM

It is the sign sand token that God is a respecter of persons which Smith denied.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 06:49PM

It is fundamentally different than Freemasonry. Yes, Masonry has different degrees, but there is no exclusivity involved. Everybody is welcome and actually encouraged to ascend the ladder as a metaphor for greater spiritual understanding. The Second Anointing is based on exclusivity. It seems to be another artifact of JS's constant need to divert his critics' attacks by making them feel ever more special. First there was Jesus Saves. Then there was the Priesthood. Then there was the Melchizedek Priesthood. Then there was the endowment. Then there was the 2A. And at each stage, there are people who get advanced and lots more people who are left out of the club. Even for the Q-12, the most senior members get first pick of the Cavanaugh's chocolates every Thursday. They just can't help it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2023 11:09PM by slskipper.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 06:52PM

Fair point.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 06:55PM

I think you and summer are both correct.

JS wanted ever-higher orders to reward his closest friends. His experience with Freemasonry taught him that there was a new way, and a new degree, that could be used to tighten his network while also shutting up those who knew about polygamy.

Posted by: Occasional Geek ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 11:18PM

dogbloggernli mentioned this in a previous post. Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TA707YeWc

I'm using a Win10 computer with Chrome and Firefox. Both work for this. I have no idea how it will present on a phone or a mac.

Under the video, Look to the right.
There are three dots ...
Click on the three dots.
You are offered: Save, Report, Transcript. Click on Transcript.

You can scroll the information listed in the podcast. The transcript shows up in the right side of the screen. Drag it down.

That said. Our RFM Eric is wonderful. A true pioneer.

Not to be confused with Radio Free Mormon Corbin Volluz. "Operating behind enemy lines" Radio Free Mormon.

Take a look at his video. You don't have to watch the full hour. Click the three dots just under the video screen on the far right side and select transcript.

You may know Volluz debated the Midnight Mormons and trounced them. They came with testimony, he came with facts. Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o27nxFx7OTc

Do You know the Midnight Mormons? Cardon Ellis, Kwaku El, Brad Witbeck. Cardon actually used the Cry Card as we all have seen in Fast and Testimony meeting.

Posted by: Rubricon ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 12:00AM

The same church that warns against secret combinations practices secret combinations. I guess you become a made member of the leadership when you get your second anointing.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 03:05PM

What would be the purpose of a second anointing? It doesn’t promise anything extra. You get the same blessings regular faithful members promised.

The second anointing covers you for lying for the church. Go ahead and lie because your calling and election are made sure.

Also if you deny the church is true you become a Son of Perdition instead of just getting a lower kingdom.

The second anointing is a license to do anything for the church except deny the truth of it.

Date: July 19, 2023 03:55PM

The difference is certainty.

The regular annointing or endowment is that you "may become" ...

The second annointing, or calling and election made sure is that you "will be" and are guaranteed salvation. You may sin in most ways and pay your own penalty.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 04:47AM

The purpose is to make you feel special and that you won’t feel guilty if asked to do something dishonest for the church.

It does give a hall pass to be naughty. I wonder if any church leaders order some hookers at the Marriott?

Date: July 20, 2023 11:13AM

That too.

Makes one wonder if the accountants over the big fund have had the second annoying so they can commit tax fraud with eternal impunity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.