Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: John Corrill ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 05:45PM

All the talk about UFO's & UAP's in the news and in congress got me thinking.

I have no beliefs either way - but it's fun to think that extraterrestrial visitors may be among us - as long as they don't use us for experiments of some sort :)

I am curious why the intelligence folks would keep something like this so secret. One of my theories is that religious folks would completely freak out if an alien being of superior intelligence were discovered, because it would call into question their idea of God and Jesus, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 08:49PM

Whether or not religious people will have their feelings hurt is not a criterion upon which classification is decided.

Seriously. Consider how capable believers are in maintaining their beliefs. They have perfectly well established mental paths that enable faith in spite of whatever facts surround them. It's a fantastic skill that they have. They won't miss a beat in incorporating aliens into their myths. The intel community isn't blind to this. Protecting the sensitivities of the parties of God is not one of their concerns.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 09:59PM

There are two likely reasons for "aliens" to be interested in the humans of Sol's #3 planet:

1)  We are just so cute!

2)  We taste so darn good!

If there are intelligent beings out there who have dedicated their lives to "doing good" for underprivileged, planet-bound, up & coming, 'reasoning' beings, the first question I'd want to be answered is, "Why?".  What's in it for them?

If humans from Earth were to undertake such a venture, which country would you want in charge?  Think of all the countries that were involved in "colonizing efforts" over the centuries...

What do we have that they want?

Now, with that on the record, there is a Sci-Fi book series, with off-shoots, that deals with this topic: The Union Station books, by E.M. Foner.  A plausible answer is provided regarding the who and why of such intervention...

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TDJLzkozL84zYPSSTkksSVXIy0zPKFHIz1MozcsEksUliSVAGgA4ZA74&q=date+night+on+union+station&rlz=1C1CHZN_enUS941US941&oq=Date+Night+on&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgDEC4YgAQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiABDIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQLhiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCTEzMzkxajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

The series, probably in the low to mid-20s by now, dating back to 2014, has fascinated me.

Plus, and it's a big plus, it gets around to explaining what happened to The Cat's Neanderthals!

Thanks to this series, I no longer have nightmares about eight-foot-tall spiders rending humans limb from limb after snacking on human baby appetizers.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 10:39PM

Just keep them away from your novel object.

Posted by: Occasional Geek ( )
Date: July 23, 2023 01:51AM

Teenagers out on a joy ride!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 03:06AM

LOL! Now that is a good answer. Makes sense when you think about it :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:57PM

Ya ever wonder how they can travel across intergalactic space just fine, but when they get to earth, they just keep crashing? What is their problem?

If they want to say hello, why don’t they land and leave a PostIt note or something. They’ve been circling the parking lot for 70 years now. Park already.

And if they don’t want to say hello, turn off their lights. These people are not very bright.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2023 04:57AM by Maude.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 01:09AM

"when they get to earth, they just keep crashing? What is their problem?"

Radar systems mess up their propulsion. A lot of UFOs were purposely captured this way.

I once had a friend who lived in the Arizona desert. He could summon UFOs with his mind. His dogs had a habit of bringing home Sonoran Desert Toads and licking them for hours. I don't know whether the UFOs showed up for him or his dogs.

Date: July 22, 2023 01:16AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That’s all the evidence I need
> that there is no evidence.

I don't think you can say that until you have examined in minute detail EOD's novel object.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 12:43PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Ya ever wonder how they can travel across
> intergalactic space just fine, but when they get
> to earth, they just keep crashing? What is their
> problem?

Hehehe!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 02:59AM

I wonder if a visit to us counts as "Community Service".

Nice to see you 'round John :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 12:39PM

Hi, I'm your Visiting Home Universe Teacher!

Date: July 24, 2023 01:07AM

Thanks Susan...I drop in every now and then... I'm happy to see things are still rolling here :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 10:50AM

Date: July 24, 2023 01:05AM

Ah...very interesting...I was unaware of this before!

Date: July 24, 2023 10:44AM

UFOs In The Bible -- Supposedly

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel%201%3A4-28%2CEzekiel%2010&version=NIV

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a human being, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. 11 Such were their faces. They each had two wings spreading out upward, each wing touching that of the creature on either side; and each had two other wings covering its body. 12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. 13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

22 Spread out above the heads of the living creatures was what looked something like a vault, sparkling like crystal, and awesome. 23 Under the vault their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body. 24 When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing waters, like the voice of the Almighty,[a] like the tumult of an army. When they stood still, they lowered their wings.

25 Then there came a voice from above the vault over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. 26 Above the vault over their heads was what looked like a throne of lapis lazuli, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. 27 I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. 28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Posted by: Extraterrestrial Visitor ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 12:46PM

John Corrill Wrote:
> it's fun to
> think that extraterrestrial visitors may be among
> us - as long as they don't use us for experiments
> of some sort :)

Ok, we won't.

Date: July 24, 2023 01:14PM

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!!

Could you, like, post a list of the experiments you want to do and let us make our own decisions?

Date: July 25, 2023 08:03AM

Hindu fundies want to make mythological things true — just like like their Western counterparts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimana#:~:text=It%20may%20denote%20any%20car,%22aircraft%22%20in%20Indian%20languages.

Vimāna are mythological flying palaces or chariots described in Hindu texts and Sanskrit epics. The "Pushpaka Vimana" of Ravana (who took it from Kubera; Rama returned it to Kubera) is the most quoted example of a vimana. Vimanas are also mentioned in Jain texts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaim%C4%81nika_Sh%C4%81stra

The Vaimānika Śāstra (वैमानिक शास्त्र, lit. "shastra on the topic of Vimanas"; or "science of aeronautics", sometimes also rendered Vimanika, Vymanika, Vyamanika) is a 20th-century text in Sanskrit. It makes the claim that the vimānas mentioned in ancient Sanskrit epics were advanced aerodynamic flying vehicles.

The existence of the text was revealed in 1952 by G. R. Josyer who asserted that it was written by Pandit Subbaraya Shastry (1866–1940), who dictated it during the years 1918–1923. A Hindi translation was published in 1959, while the Sanskrit text with an English translation was published in 1973. It contains 3000 shlokas in 8 chapters which Shastry claimed was psychically delivered to him by the ancient Hindu sage Bharadvaja.[1] The text has gained favour among proponents of ancient astronauts.

A study by aeronautical and mechanical engineering researchers at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, in 1974 concluded that the aircraft described in the text were "poor concoctions" and that the author showed a complete lack of understanding of aeronautics. Regarding the "Rukma Vimana", the study noted, "If the craft is taken to mean what the drawing and the text say, it can be stated that the craft is a decided impossibility".[2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Indian_Science_Congress_ancient_aircraft_controversy

The 2015 Indian Science Congress ancient aircraft controversy refers to protests that occurred during the 102nd Indian Science Congress in Mumbai, on 4 January 2015 when a paper claiming to prove that aircraft were invented in the Vedic age was allowed to be presented.

In December 2014, it was announced that Anand J. Bodas and his copresenter Ameya Jadhav, who claim that aircraft more advanced than today's versions existed in ancient India, would be allowed to speak at the Indian Science Congress and present a paper on aviation in the Vedic age. During an interview, he said that such aircraft were huge and could fly to other planets. He also said that those planes could fly backwards, left, or right, contrary to modern aircraft that can fly only forward.[2][3]

Bodas, who was a principal at a pilot training school in Kerala and Jadhav, currently a lecturer at the Swami Vivekanand International School and Junior College in Mumbai,[4] cited a text called Vaimanika Prakaranam (also called Vaimānika Shāstra) as evidence. Scientists from the Indian Institute of Science studied the text in 1974, concluding that "craft is a decided impossibility” and that the Vaimānika Shāstra was written no earlier than 1904.[5] Bodas stated that modern science rejects anything that it cannot explain. He claimed that of the 500 guidelines described in the text, only 100 to 120 survive today. He attributed this loss to the passage of time, foreign rulers of India and artefacts which had been stolen from India, during that time.[3]

The five-day conference was held at the Kalina Campus of the Mumbai University starting on 3 January 2015. The paper was presented on 4 January, as a part of the larger symposium on "Ancient Sciences Through Sanskrit".[3] Other papers presented in the symposium were "Engineering applications of Ancient Indian botany", "Neuro-science of yoga: understanding the process", "Advances in surgery in Ancient India" and "Scientific principles of Ancient Indian architecture and civil engineering".[4]

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:38AM

Anybody else interested in panspermia? Kinda cool if it's true.

Date: July 25, 2023 12:13PM

As in "out of the frying pan and into the spermia..."?

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:28PM

We don't need scientific facts to know that Joseph Smith knew all along about people who lived on the moon.

“The inhabitants of the moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the earth, being about 6 feet in height. They dress very much like the Quaker style and are quite general in style or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; coming generally, near a thousand years. This is the description of them as given by Joseph the Seer, and he could ‘See’ whatever he asked the Father in the name of Jesus to see”

I'm guessing they moved to another planet once humans started moon travel. Makes sense to me.

Date: July 25, 2023 04:40PM

I had someone ask "what's up with this UAP nonsense."

They seemed to think it is the gummint yet again trying to hide The Truth™ about aliens visiting the earth.

The problem with UFO is that while the U part is OK, the object may or may not be flying, and it may or may not be an object. In particular, if an "object" changes direction instantly, or accelerates at impossible speeds, it is most likely not an object at all, but an image refracted through air with layers at different temperatures.

Anybody who had done much travel in desert heat has seen a "water" mirage. That is the sky (which is why it looks like water) reflecting off a very hot layer of air next to the ground. Such mirages tend to be shimmery because hot air at the ground is unstable. It is lighter than the air above it, so it tends to rise and displace the cooler air.

Barry Lopez in his book Arctic Dreams writes about mirages of mountain ranges in the Arctic. They are so stable that they can be mistaken for the actual mountain range, and explorers have gotten lost and died because they had gotten their location wrong because of mirage mountains that looked far closer than they actually were.

Heavy physical objects cannot reverse course on a dime, or take off with impossible speed. Images can. If I had a big enough laser, I could shine a light on the Oquirrh Mountains, and flip it from one end of the range to the other and back again in less than a second, and that is operating by hand. With computer controlled mirrors to move the light around, it is possible to use the light to paint very complicated pictures fast enough that they constitute "motion pictures".

That is possible because images don't weigh anything, so are not subject to Newton's laws of motion.

Google "ships floating in the air". That's another example of light refraction. If you are driving along, or are in a jet, if there are different temperature air layers, those layers thicken or thin as you move from place to place, which can rapidly move the refracted image as the air profile changes.

And as I mentioned, hot air mirages are easy to recognize as such, because the air is shimmery. Cold air mirages are much more stable.

One of the major UFO sighting areas is along the line from Lehi, UT to the SLC airport. You can find photos of lights hanging in the southern sky online. The one that was sent to me by a friend was taken in Lehi.

Here's what's happening there. When the wind is coming out of the north, common in the winter time in Utah, planes approach the airport from the south. They can't approach from the east or west because there are mountain ranges on both sides of the airport. So planes come in to a single approach pattern in southern Utah County, down near Payson, UT. They are about 50 miles from the airport at that point.

It is not uncommon in the early evening when the bulk of incoming traffic arrives for there to be 4 aircraft in the landing pattern, all flying the exact same flight path, but separated by about 12 miles each. From an observer on the ground directly under that flight path, it will look like 4 bright lights in a tight bundle slowly driving back and forth, but otherwise barely moving.

Of course, if you watch long enough, the closest bright light will pass directly overhead, and it will be obvious that it was an airplane. The photographs and short videos posted on the internet never bother to mention that either because the photographer was unaware they were landing lights, or just thought it would be much more interesting not to mention that fact.

And that is why the official designation now is Unknown Anomalous Phenomenon. The A originally stood for Aerial, but it dawned on them that the image was not necessarily airborne. Mirages of city lights and ocean ships can appear in the sky. So Anomalous.

OK, more than you probably wanted to know. :)

Date: July 25, 2023 04:56PM

TL;DR

UAPs are alien space craft that the government wants to hide.

You're welcome.

Date: July 26, 2023 03:44AM

Still not buying it until TFG declassifies a UFO with his mind and sneaks off with it, and puts it in a basement room at Mar-A-Lago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2023 03:45AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.