Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AlmostGoneOne ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 01:07PM

Another colossal waste of time. Just got an email from SLC about it:

On October 22, 2023, youth around the world are invited to gather for a first-of-its-kind youth testimony meeting to bear witness of Jesus Christ. As youth gather and share locally, the world will be filled with testimonies of Jesus Christ.

President Russell M. Nelson; Young Women General President Emily Belle Freeman; and Young Men General President Steven J. Lund will participate in this meeting by sharing their testimonies in a short prerecorded message to be used in localized gatherings.

This event is not a centralized broadcast. Youth and leaders are encouraged to gather at 7:00 p.m.* local time on Sunday, October 22, to view the prerecorded message and then share testimonies with one another.

Youth can also connect globally during the 24 hours of testimonies by sharing their experiences with friends, family, or on social media using the hashtag #AllThingsThroughChrist.

I will not be participating in any form.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 01:31PM

This doesn't at all remind me of the evening of Sunday, February 09, 1964, when Bishop Worthen had the 2nd Ward youth come over to his house to watch the Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 04:37PM

I remember that Sunday evening very well. My family had invited a Mormon family that we knew well to have dinner and spend the evening with us. I had never heard of the Beatles, but the family we had invited over had two teenage girls, so we all gathered around the TV to watch. My first reaction was “why is everyone screaming,” but I soon became a fan, and have remained on for the nearly 60 years since.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 01:35PM

At least when you f--k ed up 30 years ago as a mission, Elder Ballard was there in real time to chew your ass out.

Now it's a pre-recorded message but YOU have to be there in person to receive it.

In another thread, I mentioned how the top 15 dinosaurs meet in private to inflate their egos of their self grandeur and boast of how they are so important to the youth. And this meeting proves it. Another youth fireside that does nothing.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 05:57PM

Why aren't the youth bearing testimony of Joseph Smith? How will anyone know they are Mormon?

When I was a TBM youth the most import part of a testimony was "I know the church is true" and "I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God." I don't remember including anything about Jesus.

I think this is just another attempt for LDS Inc. to show the world that they are Christian.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 06:15PM

That's what struck me as well. It appears to be a part of Rusty's rebranding effort.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 06:58PM

It makes me weary to hear things like this. Sure glad I grew out of that religion! All religions.

Date: September 06, 2023 10:06PM

Amen

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 08:07PM

Wait one cotton picking minute.

Testimonies OF Jesus Christ not the NAME of Jesus Christ????

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 08:30PM

You are *such* a stickler for trivia and truth and such. . .

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 08:38PM

Think how many hours of time will be wasted on this. Imagine if they actually did something to make the world a better place instead of telling each other they know Jesus. They'd all be better off reading a book.

Date: September 06, 2023 10:05PM

“They'd all be better off reading a book.”

Well, most books. The Book of Mormon, or the Miracle of Forgiveness? Not so much.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 10:11PM

Sad, Very Sad, but...

Hasn't the Book of MoFake Forgiveness been banned?

Forgive me, I'm out of that loop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2023 10:20PM by GNPE.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 04:21PM

I just saw a commercial on TV. At the very bottom in tiny letters, it said:

Testimonialists were compensated for their testimonies.

I started laughing. #1 I had never heard of that word.

#2 I immediately connected it to mormonism and now I will think of all these testimony-bearing members as "testimonialists"!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 05:15PM

So...I'm a non-believerist?

And I practice non-believerism ~ ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 05:17PM

Could you speak up a bit? It's hard to hear you from. . . you know.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 04:40PM

You would think the teens would get tired of the constant church demands.

I was talking with a woman lately who works for a local Catholic church. She was mentioning how the young people who are being confirmed in the church go off on a retreat, which is similar to a Mormon youth camp experience. We didn't do that back in my day -- just regular weekly catechism class followed by a ceremony at a certain age. I was thinking, just how much indoctrination do the youth need to stay in the fold? -- Evidently quite a bit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.