Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 03:30PM

My oldest daughter, who is 47 and had never been married, married a lovable divorced LDS guy in his early fifties. His parents just drove from Utah to Washington to visit, and, although we had met them once at the wedding, we were invited over to all have dinner together. All I knew in advance was that she was the stronger one in the marriage, and was extremely outspoken, far right-wing, and believed in "a lot of notions." I was instructed not to react to politics, and to not challenge any of her notions.

In spite of not knowing us, sheit into politics, starting with immigration. Our Current President "loves" people who enter the states illegally, even though she believed them all to be criminals and rapists. But, she also clicked her tongue about Rusty Nails, who said -- according to her -- to be kind to the immigrants because "they are of the 'House of Israel.'" I was like, whaaaa'? Da f*ck you say! She continued on all evening with batshit crazy and unbelievable Mormon stuff that she obviously had misinterpreted and digested. Her short term memory is beginning to fade, and she asked some four or five times, "Did you know we went on a mission to Haiti?"

But the weird thing was , "...and we know that we didn't put a man on the moon "because of its ring. It was all a hoax." I had to intervene. I said there was no ring around the moon." She went on about it taking special equipment to identify the ring, which was made up of the most microscopic particles not seen with the eyes. She said that it's a force field that prevents objects from landing there. Hence, all countries that tried were never able to land any objects, even un-manned ones, like equipment or anything else on the moon. She heard this astounding info from someone she knows and trusts.

I just kept saying in a calm and respectful way that she has believed incorrect information. I also used the explanation that the moon is pock-marked with craters that frequently hit because there is no atmosphere, and they don't encounter any force field. My daughter and her husband were looking down and remained unresponsive. But I heard about it later, having contradicted her several times.

But I can't tolerate stupid. Just can't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 03:52PM

I had a similar situation with my ex-TBM wife when she proclaimed, Sandy Hook never happened. She had crossed the line and I let her know. My children soon jumped in and started giving it to her worse than me.

People that say absurd things and if you don't respond they keep upping the ante until they get a response. I can ignore most of the BS but Sandy Hook crosses the line.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:00PM

Hate to say this cuz I like you so much, cludgie, but . . .

So the daughter wants you to keep your mouth shut and just take it but gives free rein to her mother-in-law to blabber all she wants?

No one should ask anyone to tolerate another person's rude ignorance. If that is necessary, why even bother with the dinner? It's like eating an ice cream with a roach in it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:24PM

. . . on the other hand I should be more like EOD and just enjoy the great stories from the evening and laugh about it all.

And the poor daughter is stuck with her.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:08PM

If I'd been there, I would have turned my phone recorder on, agreed with everything she said, and eagerly asked for more!

Then I'd send both a transcript and the voice recording to everyone I could, and say it was from my dinner with Gladys Lot.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:27PM

Dinner??? It was lunch--in a public place with plenty of witnesses!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:35PM

How does her husband respond to her? Or has he just been beaten down over the years?

Maybe asking questions would be the better approach. Instead of telling her about the meteorites that have hit the moon, ask her how the moon got so pockmarked compared to the Earth. She might tell a very entertaining story about it! Or ask her about the Moon Quakers. Or Kolob. lol

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 10:03AM

But but but...
The Osmonds recorded music on their 'KOLOB' label, therefore it Must be True !!!

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:42PM

"I was instructed… to not challenge any of her notions."

That's unacceptable. She doesn't get to give "instructions" to you. Speaking only for myself, I could/would never have agreed to those conditions – and if that means I don't ever meet or sit down with them, then so be it.

"which was made up of the most microscopic particles not seen with the eyes"

Everything is made up of those particles. They're called atoms.

Date: September 07, 2023 04:46PM

BoJ once told me that the smallest constituents of matter were not atoms but "quirks."

I'm pretty sure I heard him correctly.

Date: September 07, 2023 05:07PM

I've been told that I have lots and lots of quirks, so there's that.

Date: September 07, 2023 05:41PM

And that's why you matter, summer!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 01:34AM

I'll try to stop staring at her bosons.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 05:09PM

Maybe they were Quakes and Quisps.

OK, fine. I'll concede the point. But either way, the "microscopic particles" are hardly a mystery. The moon and its "force field" would be made of the same particles.

It's also possible that they're not the most fundamental particles either. We simply don't yet have the ability to break them down any further. I think it requires more energy than we can bring to bear IIRC. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 05:12PM

Some quirks are charming.

Date: September 07, 2023 05:15PM

Very true. I like to think that some of my quirks are charming!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:58PM

I heard him say it nearly 30 years ago, long before I knew or understood that some Mormons can't accept it because it would throw their favorite LDS prophet under the bus. I learned about it here at RfM that these ding dongs believe the moon hoax.

And this guy was an educated professor, so this is not some backwoods varmint. I think it went over the heads of my parents.

But then this same guy stated that the Vietnam conflict was also faked. That got my dad riled up as he personally worked on fighter jets during the conflict that were riddled with artillery damage and missing wings, tails and cockpits depending on the severity of war inflicted damage.

Date: September 07, 2023 05:14PM

Then how the hell did those 6 foot tall Quakers get to the moon? Answer me that!

Date: September 07, 2023 05:17PM

Exactly!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 08:42PM

Obviously, they installed the force field AFTER they arrived! ;)

Posted by: Mermaid's Mom ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 07:19PM

As we all know, people believe crazy shit and no well-reasoned argument can dissuade them from this insanity. It's why we have religion, dontcha know?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 07:24PM

It takes a lot of work and effort in this day and age to be that willfully ignorant.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 10:57PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It takes a lot of work and effort in this day and
> age to be that willfully ignorant.

No. It only takes which cable television network you decide to watch.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 09:47PM

You can't fix stupid but duct tape can muffle it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 10:37PM

Joseph Fielding Smith stated that god would not allow man to pollute a celestial sphere.

Hence....it is impossible for any man made object to land on any celestial object including Mars, Venus and Titan or was it Triton?

The prophet spoke, hence the thinking is done.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 01:41AM

Next time, just tell her that we can't visit the moon because we can't break through the firmament.

Date: September 08, 2023 07:39AM

I had an LDS friend back in the day who was convinced the moon landing was a hoax because JFS yada yada. His head pretty much exploded when Spencer W Kimball congratulated, in GC Priesthood Meeting no less, the astronauts who landed on the moon.

Date: September 08, 2023 10:10AM

Did you hear the Thanks to SWK from the astronauts for the congrats?

neither did I

Date: September 09, 2023 11:04AM

Hahaha! I was just wondering if any astronauts were even there! I’ll assume now that the answer is “no.”

Date: September 09, 2023 11:16AM

Actually an LDS astronaut was there, and spoke briefly. I don’t recall his name now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2023 11:16AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 10:34AM

And what about all those old time Patriarchal Blessings that promised the blessee that they would preach the gospel to people on the moon?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 11:09AM

It will all be worked out in the millennium.

Date: September 08, 2023 11:18AM

Relax, everyone:

the Real ForceField surrounds EvanChristian Fundys, kinda like Mormons living in their Bubble...

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2023 11:19AM by GNPE.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 11:23AM

That might be the mechanism for how they get raptured?

Date: September 09, 2023 11:13AM

Maybe the force field only stops some, the way vampires can’t enter a home w/o permission, or JS couldn’t reach the plates until he was worthy, or how unworthy mormons can’t enter the temple… Uh… hey, maybe we can sell people special access permits to pass the force field! How does 10% of their income sound?

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 10, 2023 10:55PM

How does one become so nuts?

Posted by: Scooby's Doo ( )
Date: September 14, 2023 12:46AM

I think that she may have heard something about humans not being able to live going thru the Van Allen radiation belts. And got it mixed up with a force field. I've heard that theory before..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.