Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 02:38PM

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donny-osmond-says-he-has-never-cursed_n_64fdeb66e4b0ac049f6881d1

Looks like Donny Osmond has never had to wash out his mouth with soap.

The ’70s-era teen idol is known for being wholesome, so it came as little surprise when he told People magazine he can’t remember ever using an expletive out loud.

“Never. Because I never heard my father curse,” he revealed in an interview out Saturday. “He was tough, but he never swore.”

Osmond said he’s not completely curse-free, however.

“Obviously I still think the words!” he laughed. “There are certain people I would love to say certain words to at certain times, but I just think, ‘Be like your dad.’”

In 2004, the singer told the BBC he even asked for professional advice at one point, saying, “I remember hiring a publicist who figured out this whole campaign to get me busted for drugs and change my image.”

Osmond was brought up in a conservative Mormon household in Ogden, Utah.

The father of five talked about his relationship with the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints in a 2016 interview with the Minnesota Star Tribune, saying “I’m a Mormon. I don’t fake it. I’m not a hypocrite. I’m not the kind of person who thinks everybody [should be]. No. I love the lifestyle, the family unity.”

MORmON Family Unity, we’re United in our hatred of ‘others’ (non-straight, white men) and our belief that we alone are superior to ‘others’ because God loves straight white penis holders more than anybody else on His green Earth!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 02:45PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 02:50PM

And there's always a perfect time to swear, like smacking your thumb with the mallet or dropping your watch in a bucket of water.

He just needs to get over himself and be truthful.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 03:52PM

Whatever self-adorning moral virtue he claims because he doesn't swear is negated by the harm he's caused by inflicting upon us his "music".

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 10, 2023 07:44PM

hehehe

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 03:52PM

You can have "lifestyle" and "family unity" without paying 10% of your (in his case massive) income to a Really Very Intensely Boring So-Called Church. Maybe somebody could tell him that.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 03:58PM

"I was in the backyard playing with the dog, and yelled out, "Fetch the stick," and mom got all offended and washed out my mouth with soap."

— Some mormon, probably

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 04:00PM

Donny Osmond. . . Who on earth cares?

Date: September 11, 2023 05:46PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Donny Osmond. . . Who on earth cares?

He's Mormon. :)

Date: September 11, 2023 05:54PM

I understand. I just don't comprehend why a retired pop star who has achieved nothing else in his life is still relevant.

He didn't even experience the "real" LDS church because he was from start to finish a celebrity, a celebrity Mormon who is always treated with kid gloves and not subject to the rules that the unwashed masses must endure.

I'd rather hear about messygoop's experiences, or yours, or almost anyone else's rather than Donny's. He isn't a kindred spirit in any way.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 04:25AM

Date: October 08, 2023 02:30AM

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 04:48PM

>> I'd rather hear about messygoop's experiences, or yours, or almost anyone else's rather than Donny's. <<

I have some AP stories I could tell you! Get ready to be enthralled!

Date: September 12, 2023 05:23PM

I am, ever and always, your thrall.

Date: September 12, 2023 07:03PM

Oh! So you're from Triskelion! Good to know! I played Capt. Kirk in a school play in middle school so it all makes sense now. Could I a sandwich already!?!

"A drill thrall was responsible for attending to each new recruit, such as by providing each thrall with nourishment, and assuring they were well trained for combat. Once selected, a drill thrall could not be refused or reassigned. Kirk likened the term to a top sergeant. (TOS: "The Gamesters of Triskelion")

Date: September 12, 2023 07:09PM

I'll have your sandwich ready within five minutes of receiving my back pay.

Even in Triskelion, there is no such thing as a free trisket.

Date: September 12, 2023 07:20PM

Rules always get in the way! I'll have to pay you with Tribbles though. I think about 10 lbs. should settle things between us.

Date: September 12, 2023 07:29PM

Tribbles? You think I'd forget about Tribbles?

Word to the wise: don't open that cabinet in your laundry room.

Date: September 12, 2023 07:30PM

*Assuming you know where your laundry room is.

Date: September 12, 2023 07:53PM

I knew you didn't forget. How could you forget about one of the main staples of your diet?

And I know where my laundry room is. I'm wearing my laundry room right now!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 01:35AM

He's mormon royalty.

Date: September 12, 2023 02:25AM

Yes, but not of the important sort.

I mean, here he's boasting about having never sworn. Putting aside whether that claim is true, it is indicative of his moral universe.

We live in a world of great evil, great suffering, and people are struggling to remedy those problems every single day. But when it comes to the Osmonds and in fact most good Mormons, the moral universe is limited to whether they use bad words or see a bare boob in a movie theater.

He may have been a decent performer (before my time and hence beyond my comprehension), but today he is neither a hero nor a villain. He is a moral lacuna, an absence, a disinterested spectator, living off the glory of his childhood instead of fighting for something. . . anything.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: October 08, 2023 05:50PM

Well put.

The point here is the moral universe in which he and so many other Mormons exist.

So sad. So pathetic.

Date: October 08, 2023 05:53PM

Yes.

The narrow focus of Mormons' "morality" renders them incapable of making a moral difference in the world.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: October 09, 2023 09:52AM

That’s a very important point. Thank you. Morality is all-encompassing. If you don’t understand that, your impact on the world will be thwarted. Mormons teach that morality is really nothing more than avoiding fornication and adultery. And they obsess about trivial things like cussing and coffee.

Date: October 10, 2023 07:52PM

Yep.

If a TBM never curses, and goes to TSCC every Sunday, and maybe even cleans the toilets once in a while, how would they compare to, say, someone who swears like a sailor and drinks an occasional beer, but they run a soup kitchen and homeless shelter? I'd respectfully suggest that the second person is more Christlike. Just my opinion.

In other words, are you living to please the Pharisees, or doing good in spite of them?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 10, 2023 07:59PM

You obviously don't understand Covenant Path. Only the first example is thinking Celestial!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 04:47PM

He's the sort of person that the church was built for, and caters to: white, male, heterosexual, wealthy, Utah born-and-bred, and willing to go along with the status quo. Of course the church works for him.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 04:46PM

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 05:50PM

Dear Huff Post it’s the Minneapolis Star Tribune, not Minnesota

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 05:50PM

Donny Osmond has kept himself and his wife out of scandal and from all accounts a good father and family man. Whether you like his skills as an entertainer or not, he has survived in a brutal industry. I congratulate him on that.

I remember when a young Donny and his sister Marie were on the circuit giving interviews. They were both opinionated and when asked hard questions, they differed to authorities in Provo. IMO, he was just a mouthpiece for the church and thought he was wearing big boy pants. For that part, I consider him a phony and his sister Marie, well. Where do you start with Marie...

Date: September 11, 2023 05:55PM

Yeah, what moe said.

Date: October 10, 2023 08:01PM

I recall the Barbara Walters interview when said that she wanted to ask about the priesthood ban. Donny confidently says, "you bet," like he's going to give an answer, but instead he deflects by claiming TSCC, even under the priesthood ban, offered "the black man" more than anyone or anything else (I'm paraphrasing from memory), and then defers to the big guys.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 06:36PM

The Donny has stated that he and his wife may serve a senior mission.

As to why he didn't serve, there is some justification for the notion that his celebrity may have done more good than two years in some posh country club mission like I did...

And he claims that over a ten-plus year span, he and a friend have answered non-mormons' questions on The Donny's blog, so he has probably exceeded whatever good might have resulted from taking a sabbatical from his pop-star career.

All of the Donny's sons served "honorable" missions...

Amusingly enough, if you check (but not too deeply...), I served an honorable mission, too!

Date: October 07, 2023 04:50PM

As explained to me by my last mission president who would not let me come home to be treated, a mission is meant to show the lord you will sacrifice your very life for him.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 12, 2023 10:01PM

Edog stated:
"Amusingly enough, if you check (but not too deeply...), I served an honorable mission, too!"

That reminds of the scene in the movie "The Wizard of Oz", where the Wizard says,

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 07:47PM

Besides being a singer, Donny Osmond once had a radio show during the early 2000s done up in the style of John Tesh's "Intelligence For Your Life." I think the only difference was that where John Tesh allowed each individual station to pick the music that would be played, Donny actually chose at least some of the songs played on his show. Tesh's show is still on the air in many markets; Donny's show ended about a decade ago--he never could achieve the number of stations that John Tesh had and continues to have.

The LDS church has treated donny and his brothers and Marie somewhat differently than it treats most of its members, meaning that Mr. Osmond is probably not the best representative of the LDS institution if one is seeking accurate information on how that church works for most of its members.

Date: September 11, 2023 08:45PM

To me, he seems like a juvenile goody goody type who never grew up. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, but everything about him seemed kind of boring and corny (as in not deep).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 01:55AM

Reportedly Mark Peterson said ( not well documented) that he'd never seen his wife nude...

Who's 'the winner' is this game of one-upmanship ?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 11:51AM

I think that is what they taught, so I guess he has cursed.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 04:29PM

Define curse words.

Space Mormons (original Battle Star Galactica) used the word frack.

Heck replaces hell, darn replaces Damn.

Growing up, I was a fan of Tintin so I used Thunderation.

The words differ the concept is the same.

Now....Granddad had mules, he could curse and make a sailor look like a sunday school girl. He'd describe things he'd do to the mule, was far more scary than a few forbidden words. So..... I learned to curse without using swear words and I offend more people that way.

By all the gods is one I use a lot. Offends lots of folks.

The other day I told off someone by saying let the very depths of the pit open its jaws and spew for demons to torment you for a thousand days.

Of course like J Golden Kimball, these curses come from a far larger vocabulary.

Date: September 12, 2023 04:45PM

>> Donny Osmond swears he’s never uttered a curse word, but thought plenty <<

Well, its the thought that counts, right?

Date: September 12, 2023 07:44PM

"As you think, so shall you become". (Bruce Lee)

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he ..." (Prov. 23:7)

“As You Think, So Shall You Be.” (Wayne Dyer)

So. Not entirely innocent then. :)

Being isn't only what you portray on the outside (NG et al).

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 08:13PM

Years ago my old Mormon Seminary teacher taught that using substitute slang such as "Oh my Heck" is as bad as saying the real thing.
So to that I say, "Oh my Hell"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 13, 2023 11:22AM

Crap was too much and so was crud. I said rats and that was too much for some Mormon parents.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2487540,2487668#msg-2487668

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 03:01PM

One day when I was hoeing beets with my older sister, she started making fun of me for saying crud. She said it was a stupid word and she'd never heard of it. She went down the row of beets and every time she cut out a weed, she'd yell out "Crud" several times, on and on and on.

That was typical of living with my older sister. I didn't need a bully. I lived with one. We are getting along better than we have in the years since our parents died 15 years ago just recently. I've had a lot going on and she has risen to the occasion. So crud is special.

My dad didn't care if we cursed. My mom would say something, but my dad cussed all the time and most of we kids cuss, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 03:01PM by cl2.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 02:21PM

Thought he had dropped an f-bomb at the end of his boxing fight with Danny when Danny made a comment about Marie

Date: October 07, 2023 04:52PM

I don't remember which talk show he was on when he said this, but this was back in the era where he was trying to look more mainstream.

Date: October 08, 2023 02:30AM

> The ’70s-era teen idol is known for being
> wholesome

Donny can: go away, little boy…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2023 02:31AM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: Som of Paleface ( )
Date: October 08, 2023 01:08PM

Maybe he hasn't cursed out loud, but this isn't the issue is it, it's all the media crap like this which is lies to form a certain image. To get us to stay in line, buy their crap, etc.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 08, 2023 01:26PM

"Donny Osmond swears"

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 08, 2023 11:51PM

It’s the height of irony to claim you are so moral that you refuse to say a swear word, but you have no problem whatsoever with singing the praises of a man who had his way with his followers wives and teenage daughters, despite the fact that violates two of Gods 19 commandments and the Law of the Priesthood 5 different ways when Joseph claimed he got straight from God.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 09, 2023 12:07AM

Off from Donny....I just saw a commercial with Marie. She has had a face lift and plumped up the lips. And I use to think as a lovely s woman for a TBM, now just gaudy.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 09, 2023 12:26AM

I recently saw her in a commercial and didn't even know it was her. I recognized the voice but it took me a while to place her. I am not sure what all she has had done but she looks... odd. There are a few doctors on YT that do Plastic Surgery Analysis where they break it all down for you. I think hers will be long. Some of it may be reconstructive like Madonna. Bad work can really mess you up.

*Edit to add, it was an Instaflex commercial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2023 06:46AM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 09, 2023 05:04AM

Her face looks a lot thinner, and mask-like. The skin has been stretched too many times. I wouldn't recognize her if I saw her on the street. Yes, I think a plastic surgeon would have a very long list if Marie's appearance were to be analyzed. Compare her appearance with her husband Steve's. Steve looks like what he is, a nice looking older gentleman. I understand that entertainers survive on their looks, and that it's especially difficult for female entertainers, but there are limits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2023 05:05AM by summer.

Date: October 09, 2023 05:25AM

I ran into this and watched because I recently saw her and didn't recognize her. I found this one interesting because it went year by year and shows what was done to correct earlier mistakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYl0sPXPBw&t=12s

I freely admit that I use all kinds of crap on my face. I really like the stuff from Korea and have for years. I am too damn cheap to pay the REDICULOUS prices for some of the US stuff and when you do your homework I think Korean is better. We don't make sunscreen in the US that is nearly as good. But really, other than that I don't intend to do anything radical. I don't want to end up looking like one of these women.

Date: October 09, 2023 06:09AM

I've used sunscreen pretty much daily for years, I stay out of the midday sun, and I have a skincare routine that utilizes vitamin C, AHAs, and retinol. People are always shocked when I tell them my age. If Marie had done the above, with maybe *one* facelift, neck lift, and browlift, she would look amazing. Instead, she looks like a woman who has had way too much work done. You just can't stretch the skin that many times without it taking a toll.

I've heard wonderful things about Korean skincare. My friends who travel abroad were singing its praises long before it was generally available in this country.

Date: October 09, 2023 11:13AM

Wow. That video was quite educational. I can't relate to wanting to do any of that stuff. I'm glad I don't have to.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 09, 2023 05:31PM

Date: October 09, 2023 05:41PM

Sus's post higher up mentions Madonna.

It was still interesting to hear the plastic surgeon describe what he saw.

Date: October 09, 2023 05:50PM

But it's instructional, and probably similar to what Marie has gone through (and spent.)

Date: October 09, 2023 07:34PM

I didn't find one for Marie - YET. Here is the commercial. Notice how her hairline and ears are covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll13HRlXafg Joan Rivers got this same look later in life. I think it is the combination of having a lot of work, some bad work and then fixing the bad work that gives this distinctive look.

Now pass me the Cosrx snail mucin :) !

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 09, 2023 08:06PM

"...older genleman..." Hard to get my mind around that as I had season tickets to BYU basketball when he was playing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 12, 2023 03:58AM

He's made me think of a few.

Posted by: jordan ( )
Date: October 12, 2023 04:52AM

Never cussed, never left the Utah cult..

Damn!

Posted by: unconventionalideas ( )
Date: October 12, 2023 05:19AM

Staying in a cult for a lifetime could mean, lack of critical thinking skills, lack of intelligence, lack of integrity, or perhaps a lack of courage.

I want to believe that for most people, it’s one of the first two.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.