Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:34PM

bhroberts.org/2023survey

It's clearly intended for the Church to accurately understand where people stand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:38PM

It's funny how a church based on divine revelation has to resort to surveys, isn't it?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:39PM

They need to show the doubters that ghawd always gets it right.

Date: September 28, 2023 05:43PM

Interesting...

This is from the 'cover sheet':

"If you have any questions about this study, you can contact survey@bhroberts.org.  If you have any concerns about your rights as a research participant, you can contact the BYU Institutional Review Board (IRB) at irb@byu.edu."

I'm gonna participate!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BCNJ5T3

What's the bratwurst that can happen?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 06:05PM

I did it!

There's a decent chance the church's computer servers will explode when my answers register.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 06:52PM

me too

Date: September 28, 2023 07:35PM

Did you sign up to participate in additional surveys?

I gave them my EOD email address...; it's not like they couldn't have figured out who I was from my answers, nor much less that I'm not already in their data bank.

After all, I've been gettomg JosephSmithness cards every December for the past nine years from my handler on the SCMC*; he has always shared with me the pride he feels in riding my coattails up the leadership ladder of the church.

You can well understand why it's hard for me to be humble!

Date: September 28, 2023 07:42PM

I did not sign up for the other surveys. Yes, the $5-20 payments would be useful; I could get a second Happy Meal some days. But the church would want to know where to send the wire transfers, and I am not giving Brother McPeterson access to my bank account.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 06:44PM

Lol, LDS Inc. doesn't understand why so many are leaving the true church. They have to send out a survey to figure it out.

I don't think the results really matter. The PR department probably needs to show that it is doing something so they send out a survey.

Date: September 28, 2023 07:07PM

Most of the questions were general, but two themes keep arising: the status of women and the role and treatment of gay people. Sentiment on those scores is, I think, what they are trying to gauge.

No doubt they'll cross reference that data with family size and income. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2023 07:08PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 05:50AM

I felt the same way, Gays were a general theme. For the question, why did you leave the church? I answered, "I matured out of it"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 11:02AM

That's a great response to that question. I'm stealing that.

Date: September 28, 2023 08:52PM

Funny how God needs surveys and public opinion so he knows what to reveal to his prophet. LOL

Date: September 28, 2023 08:54PM

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Date: September 28, 2023 08:57PM

So that's how it works! From Lot's Wife to God's ear to the prophet to the masses.

Date: September 28, 2023 10:09PM

Dammit. Now I have to kill you.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 10:17PM

improvements in how they treat women and gays.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 10:38PM

In the survey they ask for a zip code. I wouldn't be surprised if the stake president from that zip code gets the survey results.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 01:44AM

I completed it and it's a dumb survey because I gave them a truthful answer about my spouse being deceased. Then about ten questions later they ask how my spouse identifies herself as a member (believes and attends, believes and doesn't attend, is a non-member etc). I chose the most truthful statement: She no longer identifies as a member!

They also asked questions about plural marriage.

I felt that if I really answered truthfully about how repulsive and repugnant the church is then they would throw away my answers all together.

My organization does hundreds of these survey gorilla types every year. To me they accomplish nothing~ This new survey is to see how employees feel about filling out the last survey sent out last week. Ughh!

Date: September 29, 2023 01:49AM

She laid across the keyboard and fell asleep at question #2.

The tabby cat wants to know if she will be paid in gift cards from PetSmart.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 02:04AM

Wait a cotton picking minute!!

BH Roberts? The man that confronted the 12 and wanted answer to Book of Mormon questions? Whose manuscript was published after his death and tears apart the book of Mormon?

That guy?????

Seems disingenuous to me.

Date: September 29, 2023 02:14AM

Book of Mormon Studies is a splendid piece of research.

But you know that. ;-)

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 08:46AM

I looked up one topic in particular - Fanny Alger. The documentation is excellent. Here are some examples.

When you click on any of these items at bhroberts.org you get the source material.

May 1887
Joseph learned about plural marriage in 1831; Alger is listed as "one of the first plural wives sealed to" Joseph

Feb 15, 1838
Letter from Marsh with multiple testimonies regarding Joseph's and Alger's relationship.

E.R. Snow identifies Alger as "one of the first wives Joseph married."

Jan 21, 1838
Cowdery calls Joseph's relation with Alger a "dirty, nasty, filthy scrape/affair."

There are over 40 documented references to Fanny being Smith's first plural wife. The documentation is listed with source. It makes the site quite credible. It certainly is not faith promoting to the average Mormon. With that in mind, I am not sure if the survey will be presented in any format to Mormon leaders. It will be interesting to see the results.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 10:54AM

I did the survey the whole idea of which is so the Omniscient Lord of the Mormons can get a clue as to how to fix his church which is tricky as he is the same "yesterday today and forever"* but still in need of change, or more likely, a come-back.

The story the selected questions ask tell a story as others have pointed out here.

They are clearly looking for reasons why people are leaving today so having left pre-google and back when the rest of the country was the same with gay people as the G.A.s are now, the survey was hard to give appropriate answers.

I was glad for the essay part. That I hope they read what I wrote.

*Painted into a corner.

Date: September 29, 2023 12:09PM

As is my wont, I wrote five bullet points. The final one was "there is not a single general authority who could honestly pass the baptismal interview that an eight-year-old goes through."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 12:27PM

Good one.

One I said was the church could not stand up to scrutiny on any level.

Since their main focus seemed to be about "those gays",
I also reminded them of the coerced Electorshock at BYU when I was there, and the suicides as they threatened to out the kids to their TBM families, freeze their grades and that OAKs knew and he lied when he said he didn't. On top of that I mentioned the Justice Administrations 299R class where in students could get credit for going undercover to trap the gay kids.

None of this will really matter in the end. I just want to do anything that will make them squirm as they try to jump from the painted in corner to the sofa. Hard to do at 90.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 01:55PM

I wrote: It is like that bag of Potato Chips I no longer buy. Because it is overpriced, has no value, and full of air. Hence Mormonism, and Organized religion in general.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 02:04PM

gays to marry straights. I told some of my story in the essay part. I included my e-mail as I want to answer more.

I said that they should allow gays to marry in the temple.

So I was working on filling it out and my ex wanders in from his walk and says, 'I got a postcard yesterday asking me to fill out a survey for B.H. Roberts . . ." I said I'm just filling that out now.

I don't care if they can figure out who I am.

If we got one in the mail I can only imagine how many people got asked to answer the survey.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2023 02:05PM by cl2.

Date: September 29, 2023 02:33PM

Maybe my cat filled it out instead of me.

My cat is interested in a giant litter box in the temple and feels intimidated for wanting to scratch the walls in the chapels.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.