Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 01:21AM

Apparently Rusty thinks that temples are going to solve all LDS Corps. problems.

See this as quoted from KSL.com:

"Spending more time in the temple builds faith. And your service and worship in the temple will help you to think celestial," said President Nelson, who has announced 153 new temples since 2018. "The temple is a place of revelation. There you are shown how to progress toward a celestial life. There you are drawn closer to the Savior and given greater access to His power. There you are guided in solving the problems in your life, even your most perplexing problems. The ordinances and covenants of the temple are of eternal significance," he said

My Dad is at 96, he says all kinds of interesting things. But one thing is sure, he is no longer the critical thinker that I knew. Which of course will happen to all of us who get that far. Dad is now emotion based, obviously, so is Rusty.

So if the temple is so darned important, and the celestial kingdsom, and without it we are just plain screwed. Then why did God take a few thousand years to provide something that was so imporatnt from day one? Kind of like Christ being born the day before the end of the world. I mean would not that be up there with the ten commandments.

Maybe Rusty while pulling up to the drive through window at McDonalds looked at Wendy and said. "I had a dream last night, and we need to be just like McDonalds and put a temple on every block of the world, and put signs outside that say 1 Billion baptized and celestialized."

My last comment pertains to my experiences. That I can recall the temple never solved my problems. Plus, I believe that the Q15 says they do not see God or Christ, but get impressions or inspiration. So in my book that is not revelation, because if we get revelation in the temple while inside, would we not be ahead of the curve on the Q15?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 02:23AM

50% of people over 85 have some level of dementia. The church has its top leaders around that age or over. My dad had dementia and thought he still could drive. We had to take the car keys. Now put an old man with a huge ego with his reasoning slipping and he has the keys to the church. He also owns the shares of the church and has full control of the finances. He’s gone temple nuts.

Anyways it’s ugly. The more liberal church members were leaving but now the conservative members are saying Nelson and the church leadership are out of line. Everything is a shit show with some old geriatric in charge.

Date: October 02, 2023 02:28AM

I don’t know how you get revelation playing Simon Says? Knock, knock, knock. What is wanted?

Posted by: Observing ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 08:02AM

Is the Macdonalds dream quote yours? So funny And clever at the same time. I think the money used to build temples circles back to them really quick, also as
Someone else said before, those properties are a great investment. But your last paragraph makes a lot of sense. So many temples is definitely an aggressive marketing stunt. One designed to impress the people.
Isn’t it sad to know that they go to the temple to see the same thing over and over again? What a waste of resources!

Date: October 15, 2023 01:54AM

I think they are just building a ton of temples because they can afford to do so and they just think more temple attendance makes more obedient members.

I don’t think the massive temple building is going to end well.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 09:56AM

The building of temples is to form a wall, separating and isolating the conservative members who feel threatened by the large, outside, real world.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 11:52PM

The temple was the place the first time I went blew me away. When I made my way through the Masonic Blue Lodge later I was even more blown away. The temple is now a shell of itself.

Date: October 15, 2023 01:58AM

Ha! When I got initiated into a college fraternity I got a new name and the patriarchtical grip was part of the ceremony.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 03, 2023 10:26AM

The lobby chairs- I asked another lady who was trying to get me through the area. I asked -What are these chairs for? She became testy- They are not for you to sit in, (Ha, it proves the adage that you can't sit anywhere in the temple). I restated my question- These are lovely chairs. Who might sit in these? She finally gave me an answer- This area is reserved for temple workers.

It has never been an enjoyable place to visit. Even an open house it's all about control.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2023 10:31AM

"Spending more time in the temple builds faith."

I found nothing faith building in the temple. I found it disturbing.

And all those old ladies nitpicking everything to death like my sash wasn't tied in a perfect bow, etc. Really? That's what you are focused on?

Never made it back many times. I did get to sit in the lobby chairs the last time I went to the temple. I had been pulled aside for sealings as someone didn't show up and I was waiting for the "husband" to get done with the session. He had talked me into going back to see the new changes after 1990. Well, I never saw them.

I sat in the foyer chair meditating. Something I never got to do in the celestial room. I never went back. My boyfriend used to say that the Logan temple was a neat building. I said, "But I know what goes on inside."

And they've taken a lot of the uniqueness out of temples. They can't use the people save for years to attend the temple. Now it is should I get married in the temple down the street or in the next town?

Nothing exciting about temples anymore. My daughter knew everything I told her about the temple because she was anti along with her brother and I for a long time. Then she went back. She told her dad after going through the temple the first time the things that really blew her mind. She said she couldn't tell me about them. Her dad TRIES to avoid all conflict, so she told him. She said she had to talk to someone. (She went through a year before she got married there.)

So much for temples. They were built up so much when I was growing up that I realized a few years ago that the temple was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I got over it.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: October 04, 2023 11:14AM

I think Rusty is more concerned about his "legacy" and wants to be assured now that his name will be remembered long after he is gone.

Date: October 04, 2023 01:19PM

sunbeep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Rusty is more concerned about his "legacy"
> and wants to be assured now that his name will be
> remembered long after he is gone.

Exactly, because the church has conditioned members to ignore and forget previous church presidents beliefs and accomplishments.

Date: October 15, 2023 02:03AM

He took a piece of the Salt Lake Temple to have his tombstone made from so he’s clearly into legacy. He’s not Howard W Hunter who was humble and not egoed out like some of these church leaders are.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 05, 2023 05:25PM

As a nevermo I'm struck by how LDS pronouncements are almost always delivered in a way that can't be challenged. For instance in a prerecorded video, as in this example. Dialog is not what they're looking for. Questions are bad.

Date: October 15, 2023 02:05AM

The church runs like the military. It runs from the top down and you follow orders.

Posted by: Envy ( )
Date: October 05, 2023 05:31PM

No, it's because Rusty had a complex about Gordon B. Hinckley who was a najor temple builder and he wants to outdo him.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 04:55PM

Managed to contact a long lost ex-boyfriend from my post college days. He was BIC and I a convert. He used to send me all kinds of stuff about what the church was doing wrong and copies of Sunstone. He prided himself on being a rebel.

Fast forward 40 plus years and I couldn't resist the urge to find out if he was still LDS. Turns out he is about 100 pounds larger than the trim guy I dated and is steadfastly Mormon, He told me he loves going to the temple with his wife. She must be a good cook.

Guess that answers my question.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 06:04PM

What would happen if someone was to go through the temple ceremony and the just park themselves in one of those lobby chairs. When someone tells you to move along, you just tell them you want to contemplate, savour, and appreciate the temple ceremony while it was still fresh on your soul and mind. And just refuse to move along.

Would they call up some temple goons to physically remove you at the same time you're screaming that they were destroying your faith?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 06:20PM

They wouldn't care. They just want you out of there.

I remember sitting with my husband in the CK room not too long after we were married. We were whispering quietly. Some old temple battle ax came up to us and told us we shouldn't be discussing the temple ceremony. She said we needed to move along because another session was getting out soon.

Where else were we supposed to talk about the temple if not there? (Hint: they don't want you talking about it anywhere.)

At the time, it bothered me, but I chalked it off to a bossy old lady and not the temple. Little did I know, that kind of thing WAS the temple.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 06:37PM

I've never understood why temple-goers are rushed out of there. If a later group is entering the Celestial room, and they need seats, then sure. But why not let the members sit and enjoy what they have paid so dearly for?

Years ago, I remember seeing a video that purported to show Mitt Romney and his wife in the Celestial room after a session. It was taken from a distance, and if it was not MR, it was *somebody,* or more accurately, a whole bunch of somebodies. The session-goers, in full temple regalia, were either sitting, or strolling around in the Celestial Room, quietly conversing with one another. There were no temple matrons rushing them along. Perhaps the rules are different for the rich and well-connected.

Date: October 15, 2023 07:21PM

They do give you a few minutes. Most people wander out. The rooms are usually large enough for people to linger and could handle more chairs.

I think they don't want people from the next session coming through the veil and the first thing they see is gossipy Sister Fruitcake when they were expecting to see God (or at least feel God's presence).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 07:30PM

The strongest memory I have today of the temple is the smell of certs.

Date: October 15, 2023 07:34PM

Yep. Minty ones.

Date: October 15, 2023 07:39PM

. . . and the visual image, from ward houses if not the temple, of some elderly gentleman pulling one out of his slightly moist pocket and plucking some lint off before offering it to a hapless child.

Date: October 16, 2023 11:03AM

tumwater Wrote:
> What would happen if someone was to go through the
> temple ceremony and the just park themselves in
> one of those lobby chairs. When someone tells you
> to move along, you just tell them you want to
> contemplate, savour, and appreciate the temple
> ceremony while it was still fresh on your soul and
> mind. And just refuse to move along.
>
> Would they call up some temple goons to physically
> remove you at the same time you're screaming that
> they were destroying your faith?

I was at Provo while at the MTC and I was sitting at their waiting room just beyond the front desk. I was quietly sitting there minding my own business while 3 missionaries went to do "iniatories". I wanted no part of being naked under a "shield" and I decided to wait for them inside the temple.

While sitting there, temple workers (two men and a sister) kept stopping to ask what I was doing. I was very frank with them- I do not wish to participate with iniatories. I am waiting for them.

This did not sit well with them. There was a lot of hushed talk and finally there were two men who were wearing the "LDS temple presidency suits". These suits are also adorned with a gold chain time piece. It can be intimidating.

They told me- Elder, you can not stay here. You must join the other missionaries. If you do not get up from your seat, I will have church security remove you and take you back to the MTC. It will only get worse from there.

This led me to join them at the iniatories (where I was hit on the back of the head by an abusive temple worker for allowing the bottom garment to touch the floor).

Like so many others, the church wants you in and out of the temple FAST!!! They don't want you to dilly-dally anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2023 11:04AM by messygoop.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 12:53AM

messygoop Wrote:
> tumwater Wrote:
They don't want you to dilly-dally anywhere.

I understand, but the current term is "dawdle", formerly dilly-dally...

Date: October 16, 2023 11:13AM

From my temple open house visit.

I mentioned about my visit to the sealing room (which they wouldn't let me see UNTIL I visited the celestial room first.

I asked them- May I sit here for awhile? My leg is bothering me a bit.

The sisters said. -No. They don't allow visitors to sit in the furniture. You're almost done with the tour. We have seating outside the temple.

I said- Yeah, but it's over 100 outside.

Can you direct me to the bathroom?

One said- They're across the street in the meetinghouse. You have to walk over there.

Posted by: Zelph the Apostate ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 12:38AM

I have told this before, but I must share again.

I went through the temple back in the days of the naked poncho. I was battling some infection then, which the doctors prescribed a potent cocktail of antibiotics that had a... liquidating effect.... I was already holding back the brown sea.... then when I was reduced to the poncho, with nothing between my clenched butt cheeks and the holy ground... then the officiator blessed me, to make my bowels strong, the containment system suffered a catastrophic failure and I spackled ghawds holy floor. Popping, flapping, bubbling.

Not only did the ceremony stop... but I just stood there mortified, with vesuvius down my legs, a crime against humanity on the floor, and a smell. It was a good 30 seconds before I was ushered out buy a nice old lady muttering some polite condemnation.

It was a while before my courage allowed me to try again. I am one of a select few who had to try twice to take out my endowments...

St george temple will never be the same, nor will I.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 12:29PM

Zelph the Apostate ( )

Thank you for the best laugh ever, better than the older SNL skits.

Date: October 17, 2023 01:10PM

Makes me want to retract that dinner invitation!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.