Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Musca ( )
Date: October 10, 2023 08:33AM

Leaked videos show Mormon apostles discussing political influence, homosexual marriage, marijuana and more...

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=4423214&itype=CMSID

The link in the article: Mormon Leaks
https://www.youtube.com/@MormonLeaks/videos

I get the feeling that Boyd K. Packer was out of the loop and humored by the younger worldly replacements because of how staunch he was. For instance just a few days ago I read a quote by him saying in affect that the church's strong stand on homosexual issues will never in a million years change. Now that he is gone, the new apostles can say what they want within the Zeitgeist without confronting the "bear" as Dallin Oakes called him. And if I remember right they made arrangements through their financial contacts never to allow Packer to find out how much money was in the Ensign Peak church account. There was always an excuse of why he couldn't see it.

President Packer was prevented from seeing financials. He demanded as president of the quorum of the twelve under President Monsoon, but was told that only the president and presiding bishop could have access to it (corporation sole). I think even the presiding bishop is limited compared to the president. The president could spend the whole enchilada and nobody could stop him (corporation sole).

Packer was immediately censored twice in his talk on homosexuality and the Family Proclamation, in such a way that I believe it was from bureaucrats and not his fellow Brethren. I think they are largely held hostage by bureaucrats and agreements they have made with certain organizations behind the curtain, although they could choose to clean house and get rid of them (but it would be ugly in the short term).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 10, 2023 10:52AM

I don't think the younger apostles have changed or budged on any church policies regarding gays and homosexuality. Maybe it makes members feel better to pin all the SSA problems on one apostle. And we all know that BKP was an extreme homophobic, but I think anyone who believes the church is going to change now that BKP is long gone is drunk on kool aid.

The church was beyond livid about the SC decision to legalize same sex marriages and the church has changed its temple marriage to temple sealing because they are fearful that they will be compelled to seal men to men or women to women or trans to trans in their special sealing rituals.

Posted by: Sukaro ( )
Date: January 21, 2024 06:38PM

The appointment of Aaron Sherinian as church PR spokesman suggests otherwise. He is openly pro-LGBT. Packer would turn in his grave.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2024 08:01PM

No, the appointment of an apparently "progressive" PR spokesman does not necessarily indicate a more lenient attitude towards non-cis people.

It might, but in many cases the church has hired more socially acceptable representatives in order to project an image that differs from reality.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2024 08:13PM

They wouldn't hire someone into that position if they didn't think/know he was house broken.

Date: January 21, 2024 08:18PM

Exactly. He'll only challenge the church as much as the church wants.

He'll go no further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2024 08:19PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 03:07AM

I bet they are paying him well.

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 04:40PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, the appointment of an apparently "progressive"
> PR spokesman does not necessarily indicate a more
> lenient attitude towards non-cis people.
>
> It might, but in many cases the church has hired
> more socially acceptable representatives in order
> to project an image that differs from reality.

They know what they are doing. They are in full alliance with organizations that demand certain changes. With Packer out of the way, they can mainstream even more.

Sherinian shares a lot with the FP. He pretends to support good things, but his lifestyle proves he prefers oligarchy and authoritarianism.

Date: January 25, 2024 04:38PM

> They are in full
> alliance with organizations that demand certain
> changes.

Can you name those organizations and provide evidence of any "alliance" or "alliances?"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 03:05AM

It’s a public relations stunt. Hiring a guy like that gets lots of press coverage and makes it look like the church is more LGBTQ friendly.

Date: January 24, 2024 04:00AM

Yes

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 06:16AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s a public relations stunt. Hiring a guy like
> that gets lots of press coverage and makes it look
> like the church is more LGBTQ friendly.

The tactic of the Mormon leadership in most cases is Gradualism. Nelson is kind of an exception as he is abrup5.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2024 03:29PM

Pack-man may have been censured for that time he contradicted Gordon B. Hinckley in his talk at the next conference 6 months later. Hinckley had said that they church recognized that the homosexuals were not at fault just for being so, because people are born either straight or gay. Six months afterwards, Packer contradicted this, before asking, "Would God create an imperfect being?" Of course, that question alone caused a great deal of cynicism, with people asking things like, "Wait. Down syndrome? Spina bifida? Deafness? Language disabilities?" And on and on. Packman, despite what people say and think, was just another sniveling git.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.