Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 07:15PM

No prior generation of mormon missionaries has EVER been as good as the current generation!

But then it got a bit wishy-washy:  "They have the capacity to be the best..."

But if they're not the best ever, it's not ghawd's fault; it's the missionaries' fault for not trying as hard as they should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI1OdA1BuMM

Apparently, ghawd has new copywriters doing his ads; I base this view because there's so much more nuance than in the past in the word of the lord...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 09:29PM

The Church is potentially true. Some restrictions apply. Void where prohibited.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 11:09PM

Wow, that is one insulting video. If the church wants to keep its older members out of the fold, just play this during the next General Conference.

I guess those tech savy kids who no longer have to go out and visit people, and have the church manage their money for them, and instruct them on everything they must do, are the cream of the crop now. I guess snap to attention and yell yes sir, is the true measure of elite missionary status.

Never mind those of us who had to find out own apartments, actually talk to people, walk for hours door to door to have it slammed in our face over and over again. Then there was that day the car breaks froze and I was out in minus 40 degree temps to get them working again so we could make an appointment. Then there was that blizzard I drove through for 60 miles that took 5 hours to get the Zone Leaders back to their area. No special coats to cut the wind chill, and heck we had to prepare our own food, and no-one was assigned to feed us. Of course medical issues were a little more complicated with less treatment methods, and you had to deal with those bike falls on your own. There were no cell phones, so if you lets say had a companion who broke his leg, well you just had to find a way to get him to the doctor without having a means of calling for help.

Of course church growth was going up then, unlike today which has null growth and obvious signs of number fudging when it comes to those stats every 6 months..

Yep, us old codgers, we just did not have what it took to be a real missionary. But when this special crop ages and gets a clue from real life events, lets see how that turns out.

The old adage of shooting yourself in the foot is applied here, except, the makers of this video are using a AR15 extended clip and has the trigger locked and the automatic firing is engaged.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 12:08AM

At least there was a time when we were The Best...

I guess we just weren't good enough.

I have a recollection, shortly after returning from the mission field, of hearing a projection for the year 2000 when the figures showed that the church would reach the 100,000,000 mark.

Obviously, that was based on the work they'd see me do while in the mission field.

Hey!  That could be interpreted to mean that the fact that the church didn't make the 100,000,000 mark is the fault of whoever replaced me because my two years contributed to the data that allowed for the projection!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 05:12AM

The church's "best" are recruiting future donors to the $100 billion dollar trust fund.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 05:19AM

Something tells me if Jesus came to collect, they would give him the bum's rush.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:08AM

I thought the church's propaganda video is...odd.

Did anyone else find it strange?

It starts with a ghastly looking woman (who looks so pale as if she is a skin burn victim with skin grafts and unnatural lips- her lips remind me of bumper car bumpers). There's no title given to her. There's no cue music.

I think it's funny how the church now looks to the other auxiliary organizations to prop up the image of the missionary department. They have interviews from the young women president and primary president. It seems that the church leaders are frustrated with their own people assigned to head the missionary department so they went out and recruited other church leaders to make this promotional video.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:37AM

That ghastly looking woman (I think so, too!) is Bonnie Cordon, the former Young Women president, and now the head of Mormon-affiliated Southern Virginia University.

I rolled my eyes at the first set of female missionaries, who looked like FLDS escapees to me. The dresses fit a little better as the video went on, but they still look rather dowdy. I'm at a loss as to how dressing so very conservatively is supposed to win converts for the church. And why no pants on the women? Shouldn't they look like they are at least somewhat in touch with the modern world?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:52AM

That ghastly woman. So phony she could be starring in a lot more infomercials than just this one. She seems like the female Bednar. Calculated. Like a living breathing AI machine.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:52AM

That woman does look like a zombie.

How dare she say those clueless kids are the best the Lord has sent?! That title belongs to The Greatest Generation.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:54AM

That's the thing. By saying what she says she is abasing many who have gone before. And I would put The Greatest Generation at the top of the list.

Of course propaganda rarely traffics in truth.

Posted by: SEculR Priest ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 01:38PM

I was told 60 years ago I was the best generation. Todays missionaries are mostly lost and clueless. They need to be in school getting an education. Most just seem to be wasting their time

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 06:19PM

That video is just so creepy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.