Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 01, 2023 11:16PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 01, 2023 11:28PM

Good grief. This is mortifying. Idaho is out of control about the abortion issue. More qualified doctors are leaving all the time.

On the local TV news yesterday, there was a horror story about how a woman had to travel to address an emergency and the local doctor was heart broken not to be able to help.

Then they interviewed one of the conservative law makers who helped pass Idaho's extreme laws. He admitted they went too far and need to address the mothers "health" instead of just the mother's "life." It's a dire situation here and abhorrent they are going after people trying to help.

Imagine the little snoopy people around who are looking for this kind of thing so they can report it. It's sobering to think these are my neighbors.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2023 11:38PM

I don't think this is a straightforward case. The girl was a minor who was transported not by her parent, but by her boyfriend and his mother across state lines. Plus the boyfriend may be looking at a statutory rape charge.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 01, 2023 11:47PM

It appears that the charge here is kidnapping not transporting someone out of state to get an abortion.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/11/prosecutors-not-relying-on-new-idaho-law-in-case-against-mother-and-son-after-girl-taken-to-oregon-for-abortion/

"An Idaho woman and her son have been charged with kidnapping after prosecutors say they took the son’s minor girlfriend out of state to get an abortion."

"Recently, the state made it illegal to help minors get an abortion without their parents’ consent, legislation aimed at preventing minors who don’t have parental approval from getting abortions out of state. However, that law is being challenged in court, and prosecutors in the kidnapping case aren’t relying on it.

According to an affidavit, the mother of the girl who traveled for the abortion believed her daughter was living with her father but told authorities she later discovered the teen was staying at her boyfriend’s house for several months in Pocatello.

The girl told law enforcement officials she began having a consensual sexual relationship with her boyfriend when he was 17 and she was 15. The relationship continued when he turned 18, right around when the girl said she became pregnant."

"The girl told authorities she then traveled to Bend, Oregon — about 550 miles (885 km) from Pocatello — with her boyfriend and his mom in May to get an abortion. Police later used the girl’s cellphone data to confirm that the trio traveled to Oregon around the same time."

"Prosecutors have since charged the mother with second-degree kidnapping and the son with the same charge, along with rape and three counts of producing child sexually exploitative material after authorities said that the boyfriend captured sexually explicit video and photos of the girl."

"Prosecutors say the kidnapping charges were brought because the mother and son intended to “keep or conceal” the girl from her parents by transporting “the child out of the state for the purpose of obtaining an abortion.”

Date: November 02, 2023 12:04AM

It doesn't look like the girl's own parents had much concern about the girl either.

The clinic performing the procedure would have needed the consent of the parents I would think.

I don't think the whole "kidnapping" thing here fits well either.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 12:49AM

In Oregon 15 year olds can consent to medical treatment without parental consent.

https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le9541.pdf

"Minors who are 15 years and older can consent to
medical and dental services administered by a licensed
provider without parental/guardian consent."

Date: November 02, 2023 01:02AM

Hmmm. Thanks for that information.

Date: November 02, 2023 06:18AM

That's good, but it still doesn't address an adult who is not a parent or guardian taking the girl across state lines without her parent's or guardian's consent. Although I suppose it's possible that the father gave consent.

I don't think this would be a good test case for an appeal of the law. A good test case would have a parent taking their child across state lines, or an adult taking another consenting adult. JMO

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 07:49AM

The last paragraph from the quote of the East Idaho News article would never have occurred except for Idaho's new anti-abortion law. That said, I agree with you that the behavior of her boyfriend and his mother was not above board and was also very shameful.

Date: November 02, 2023 09:39AM

To me, this particular case is too muddied to be useful for an appeal of the law.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 12:12AM

What about prosecuting the minor for being a hussy?

Everyone knows ghawd doesn't like hussies!

I say, bring back the stocks and the pillory!!  And the dunking chair!  

With the dunking chair, non-mormons could receive just one dunk and they're perfect!  (Did you know that in early, Brighamite, Utah, repeat baptisms were a thing?  Yeah!  Sin, get another baptism; sin, get another baptism, rinse and repeat as needed.)

People need to feel the consequences of their sins ... or the sin of their consequences*!!

Where's Lucifer when you need him?!?!  He'd get these people to fly right!

*  "sin of their consequences" is dumb, but I created it, so I'm kinda obligated to raise it until it's capable of going out on its own and, hopefully, making it in the world...  I think that's how ghawd views me.  He probably doesn't think I'm even worth keeping his fingers crossed.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 03:28AM

You may be onto something. What about 24-hour drive-thru baptismals at temples? For those late night emergencies.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 02:12AM

Let the lawsuits begin !

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 06:09PM

Sounds like her parents need to be charged for abdicating their parental responsibilities. Is de facto emancipation a thing, because that sounds like what was going on with the 15 year old.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 07:11PM

I was reading just this morning of a case in Madison, Nebraska where a mother who helped her teenage daughter obtain abortion pills n her third trimester was sentenced to two years in prison. The daughter, then 17, was recently released from jail after serving about half of a 90-day sentence.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 04:30AM

The case sounds a little more complicated than simple abortion.

It sounds like a Freshman and Senior were dating. The Senior turned 18 but the Freshman was still 15. The age difference is greater than 2 years in that case.

They were also giving her illegal drugs and cigarettes. They coerced/threatened to kick her out or punish her if she didn't do what they wanted.

They did things without the consent of her mother (or Father, but apparently she had moved out of her father's to live with her boyfriend for 6 months).

They were treating her rather badly according to the article, especially after the abortion.

The Girl seems happy to have had the abortion (considering how she was being treated by the BF and his mother...not sure one could blame her).

I'm not sure what the right way to do things legally here is.

Charge them with supplying illegal drugs to a minor, most likely. Kidnapping is more questionable. I don't know what the situation with the mother (especially for 6 months) is, but that's a long time to have your kid with someone and not charge them with something prior to that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 03:26PM

She could have been charged with shipping Ore-Ida tater tots to Montana. It's against the law to ship potatoes to Montana. Capital offense for first time offenders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.