Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 01:43PM

True believers who respected hard line prophets like Spencer W Kimball and Ezra Taft Benson are very critical of the current church leadership. They feel the church has become too worldly trying to fit in with a society that has gone off the rails.

They feel there is no real leadership in the church anymore. Both the liberal and ultra conservative members are not happy with the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 04:15PM

A: The Church is what it has always been -- a scam.

Date: November 04, 2023 04:30PM

True but the scam is changing the script and some members aren’t liking it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 05:17PM

anybody Wrote:
--------------------------
> A: The Church is what it
> has always been - a scam.

Yes, but it used to be the one true scam, and now that the formatting no longer makes enough money, they're trying to improve it.

So now it's the new, improved scam, but ever so many of us have lost respect for the brand; we're no longer calm and reflective about mormonism.

And to me, it's shocking that people would want to join!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 06:09PM

The church is no longer the One True Scam. It is now the One Truer Scam.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 10, 2023 04:39PM

It's like New Coke vs Old Coke -- just a new scam to replace the old scam.

Date: November 10, 2023 04:41PM

Except that Coke was able to go back to the original formula, something Mormonism cannot do.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 10, 2023 07:26PM

But the formulation is sacred, and secret!

I know because I went to the World of Coca Cola in Atlanta a few times. They have a vault where they "secure the secret formula" and call it real magic. I kept waiting for a secret through a veil at the end of the tour.

Date: November 10, 2023 07:40PM

Yeah, you need Certs for that to happen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 12, 2023 06:36PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A: The Church is what it has always been -- a scam.

Either

a) No one told them/they didn't get the memo

or

b) they received the info, but choose not to believe it and/or adapt it into their lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 09:47PM by GNPE.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 06:26PM

Rubicon- do you have any stories you can share? Thanks.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 05, 2023 10:50PM

Over the time I've learned and shared views and opinions of LDS, The trends and thoughts of this current thread and today's Cathoic readings at mass seemed to mesh with many peoples opinion on the status of the LDS leadership.

I'd like your opinion, Matth 23, 1-12

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Date: November 06, 2023 12:06AM

There is a lot of religious leadership failure shown in the Bible. Why would it be any different now? Christ himself didn’t exactly get along with the church leadership.

Date: November 06, 2023 12:19AM

Dancing around basic, substantial matters such as Honesty & Kindness hasn't gone unnoticed: I suspect many younger are ok or tolerant of alt lifestyles; that won't help Russ & Company

Posted by: Occasional Visitor ( )
Date: November 10, 2023 02:31PM

The Church is watering things down left and right. Seemingly with each passing week it is becoming more and more generic, losing it's market uniqueness.

As you suggest, what is it anymore.

-------

Switching subjects, with the wholesale hemorrhaging of members in my area, including former bishops and stake presidents, you would think that the current bishops and stake presidents would start to be a little more casual in how much active members (whatever the hell that means) must toe the line.

I'd say the number one impediment to the church retaining members is the world wide web.

All of my stake presidents teenage children are so completely wrapped up into every facet of being a good Mormon child, walking the line of perfection, it's not hard for me to imagine that someday, 5-10 years down the road, one or two will crack so to speak, and break free of the shackles.

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: November 10, 2023 09:27PM

With that darned new fangled internet clearly showing LDS Inc is a scam and the GAs know its a scam, how long can they lead.

There's no more hding things. It's a slow sinking ship.

Date: November 10, 2023 09:31PM

+1

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: November 11, 2023 08:36PM

When I was a child when the Holy Prophet would say something then I would instantly obey. There was no need to do any thinking as the Brethren do all the thinking we need on things. We just have to think to obey.

Today when the Holy Nelson says something then I'm supposed to instantly obey. There was no need to do any thinking as the Brethren do all the thinking we need on things. We just have to think to obey.

In 50 years from now when the Holy Prophet says something then the good little lambs in our folds will instant obey. There won't be any need to do any thinking because the Brethren will do all the thinking needed on things. The good little lambs will just have to think to obey.

So, as far as I can think about this, it's an unchanging religion because it believed in obedience back then, its believing in obedience now, and it will believe in obedience in the future.

Now some people whose brains aren't fully programmed to think as the Correlation program groomed them to think might ask questions about whether the doctrines taught in the past compared to the present have changed. I really can't answer that question because the Correlation program didn't teach me to ask unapproved questions and I only really remember one doctrine ever being taught much. That's the Doctrine of Obedience. Of course there are some sub-doctrines of Obedience like Tithing, Keeping Covenants, Following the Brethren, Serving Missions, nagging my neighbors to get assimilated into the Church, getting all my ancestors necrodunked, and others. That Tithing one is especially important so Heavenly Father can accumulate a big pile of money.

So, if any of you are thinking the religion is changing its probably because your brain isn't fully programmed to think the way the correlation program was designed to ensure that the Church curriculum would get your brain fully washed by immersion to be wired to think the Correlation way. As long as you'll get yourself fully correlated to be a good little lamb then you'll be able to be completely immersed into the teaching that the Church is unchanging - we believed in Obedience in the past, we believe in Obedience in the present, and we will believe in Obedience in the future.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 12, 2023 12:32PM

It is a social experiment in progress. All the money is in the hands of the top guy, no one else.

He and the past few have been gradually removing all the "fun" things from the religion to see just how much they can get rid of before members leave in droves. No more sports tournamens. No more road shows. No more pageants. Removing a lot of what would bind members together in friendship.

Once they see a ton leaving the money will all be in the hands of the top dog. He and his closest buddies will 're-form' things, take the money and run.

Date: November 12, 2023 01:13PM

U didn't mention the discontinued Gold & Green Balls, I'm just wondering why !?

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 12, 2023 08:13PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> U didn't mention the discontinued Gold & Green
> Balls, I'm just wondering why !?

Because I don't want to check to see if mormon guys have Gold and Green balls?

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 07:51AM

Well said. They manage to fall between two stools on all these things.

Posted by: hrp ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 08:15PM

I gave a talk on this subject at the 2011 Exmormon conference.

You can check it here: "The Everlasting Gospel in the Ever-changing Church"
http://exmormonfoundation.org/files/media/2011Conference/04%20Richard%20Packham.mp3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 08:18PM by hrp.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.