Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Disinherited ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 08:23PM

So I left the church 6 years ago. My dad had already passed away. Well my mom is still around they did the will behind my back. And apparently I am left out being a non member. I no longer want to continue having any kind of relationship with these people. What can I say to them to let them know how messed up this is? Especially where I am the poorest I live on disability and am the youngest. Most of them are well off. Thanks in advance for any good bitch out advice lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 09:14PM

I'm terribly sorry. I wish I had words of comfort for you. What a bunch of mean-spirited sociopaths.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 09:39PM

Depending on the laws in your state it might be an illegal will. Get legal advice.

I would advise you to keep your mouth shut about what you discover. If they learn the will is invalid they might fix or otherwise distribute things before death still keeping you out.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 09:57PM

Any attempt at "revenge" will be taken as proof that they did the right thing.

I certainly would not encourage anything invovling vocal, written or physical revenge.  

After thinking it over, I think what I would do is choose one, or more, or all(!), from the following list:

1)  Chant a prayer of cursings on
    them before your evening meal

2)  Follow them on social media and
    enjoy it when fate poops on their
    heads (I do this w/ BYU football)

3)  Step on sidewalk cracks, hoping
    it breaks your mother's back

4)  Find something to be happy about
    and then be happy about it, and
    then follow it with...

5)  Realize in your heart of hearts
    that they are small, mean-spirited
    soulless jerkwads

6)  Forget they ever existed

It's my personal philosophy that there is no ghawd who keeps track of what individual humans do (or don't do) such that appropriate rewards or punishments are handed out or will be handed out.

It's not always fun, but a review of the Bell-Shaped Curve can be illuminating.  For 50% of us, it can be saddening.  I take the point of view that every new day the dice are tossed on what the new day's Bell-Shaped Curve will look like.  But I'm lucky in that overall, I can't complain...

But definitely, living your life waiting for karma to poop on your enemies is not a life well spent, in my opinion; but I've never been in your position, except for those times I was.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 09, 2023 09:54AM

That was good. VERY GOOD. Obviously you plagiarized Judic--- again, but still, great advice. I wish I could take it myself.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2023 03:16PM

Thank you for the compliment, even though I did it in free verse...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 10:50PM

"living your life waiting for karma to poop on your enemies is not a life well spent"

It's like waiting for a pot to boil. Better to dust your shoes off at them and forget about it.

I have to admit the death of Elder Ballard was rather meh. Maybe some worms will get a free meal.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 09, 2023 04:00AM

Your own mother?? That's horrible. Did the other siblings take control and she didn't have much of a say in what happened.

Luckily my parents never decided who got money depending on their church activity. There weren't many left in the family going to church.

I have two disabled brothers who also are on disability. The plan was that the rest of us would not get anything and we knew that all along and we were all fine with that. We had no idea that we would also get an inheritance, but we would get half what our brothers got. It is what helps them survive on the disability money they get. Even with that and their disability pay it is tough to get by. One brother lives in my parents' house (they died 15 years ago) and that helps him.

I can't figure out how they decided disability payments. I don't know anyone who can live on that amount of money. You can't even pay rent. I hope your mother rethinks things.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 09, 2023 10:52AM

while I have no (good) advice as to how to treat the rest of your family, I will recommend that, if you can stomach it, consider going to the closest vocational rehabilitation services office in your state. Under current U.S. laws, those state organizations are supposed to assist those disabled people who wish to find employment in the field of their choice. And that in turn may assist with some of your cash flow issues.

Posted by: Villagers ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 01:08PM

I am so sorry and I actually can relate. A little different.

My parents wrote a fair will but after they were both deceased my siblings rewrote the will to their liking. They are dishonest Mormon attorneys and there are a whole lot of them in Utah.

The church actually encourages this.
To write out non-active children. They made a video that was very blatant about this and then they edited it so it wasn't so harsh.

Somewhere I think I have the original.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 01:13PM

I told anyone about it who would listen. I still have things on my to do list concerning what happened.

I am not forgetting or forgiving.

Karma does happen but it takes a while.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 10:33PM

My situation was a bit different. When my grandfather passed away, my cousins got a house, cars, money etc. I was awarded nothing in his will because I had converted to Mormonism while in college. He refused to talk to me when I returned from my mission to Finland. It was a huge price to pay (joining this damn cult) with both relationships in the family and monetarily. We have all suffered in various ways.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 11:36PM

Yep. My situation was the opposite of yours: cut off for leaving the church. Later most of my siblings left too, but by then it was a common pattern for which no discipline was imposed. So I remained the sole black sheep.

Your experience shows that not all assholes are Mormon.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 11:48PM

Black Sheep is one of my favorite John Anderson songs. Seems to be a common theme here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GIOkyDXAglw

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 16, 2023 02:07PM

Hmm? I really don't want anything from my parents. So if they chose to disinherit me I would be great with that.

My very TBM father died a few years ago, and was survived by his wife (my evil step mother). I was actually relieved he went first. I don't have to clean up the house, throw away a bunch of useless garbage, or sell the house. Plus I never have to see her again. A nice clean break.

My mother is not well to do, so nothing of note to inherit anyway. But she would never hold my non-religious status against me anyway. I can't be coerced by anything other than a sound argument and evidence.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.