Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 07:19PM

For your entertainment, and completely off-topic: Husky tantrums.
See the linked example. lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuskyTantrums/comments/18y9bwc/throws_a_full_blown_tantrum_yet_still_doing_what/

One of my neighbors just got a Husky puppy, and he has no idea!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 07:28PM

I once heard an animal shelter person here in SE Idaho say that they had more rescue Huskies returned than other breeds. I wondered why. They sure are beautiful dogs, but too big and busy for me.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 07:32PM

Looks like the husky released loads of pent up energy. Probably had a good nap after.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 08:17PM

They can be a challenging breed. As always, form (and temperament) follows function. They are a dog that needs a job AND a lot of physical activity. They are a pack breed and not all of them are... bright. You have to be careful with them around kids. If you have a relationship with the neighbor that you can talk to them, tell them the "crazy dog lady" you know STRONGLY suggests they do at least one round of puppy classes. Not one on one with a trainer but group classes. First I would ask for a recommendation from the vet. They are the ones that will best know the quality of local trainers. If the breeder is local I would ask them too. If they have to just look on line, ask for references of past students. You can't start classes until they have had all their shots and are considered immune (they should not be around other dogs or in public places period). Even at 8 weeks you should be starting GENTLE leash, sit, watch me and come. No rough play. Add in potty training and it is a LOT of work. Six hard hard hard months then six more hard hard ones.

This little Papillon of mine is a smart, trainable breed and I am still EXHAUSTED. She is an extremally easy puppy, I think because she stayed with her breeder until she was 12 weeks. I have never had a pup that sleeps this well. A husky can be a fine family member but you have to put the work in.

Date: January 05, 2024 12:34AM

I will let him know when I see him. I personally thought it a bone-headed choice of breed considering that he is in his mid-70s and we all live in condos. I don't think he'll be able to keep up with this dog. He says the pup is nine months old (although the dog looks small for nine months,) so I wonder if perhaps the pup had a prior owner.

Date: January 05, 2024 01:33AM

Oh boy. This could really go sideways.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 01:57AM

"Husky tantrums" are what EOD throws every time he breaks another scale.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 10:01AM

About a year ago, a husky breeder (later deemed illegal breeding operation) released all his dogs into the national forest outside of Whitefish. A few days later, a local woman shot one of the dogs thinking it was a wolf. She skinned the dog and posted it on social media to "impress her boyfriend she could shoot and skin a wolf."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 10:40AM

The U of Washington mascot is a Husky (sometimes a Malamute) named DUBS; One of the previous ones was named SUN DODGER...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 10:54PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 10:44AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 10:03PM

He is over 2 years old and he obviously lived with someone else as he was potty trained completely and he knows some commands, etc. But OMH! He is so much work. I've finally got him to the point he doesn't jump on me like he used to. He doesn't bother my ex either, but he does bother our son. He loves our son and he mauls him to death.

He wears me out. I hate to admit it, but my ex-sister-in-law has always worked with animals. She finds homes for pets whose owners can't handle them. She found a home for my parents' dog after they died. She is looking for a home for my dog.

He does still herd me when I go outside. He was just trying to nip at my ankles an hour or so ago while I was outside. He can't be around my daughter's dog as he is too crazy--my dog is too crazy.

My boyfriend has had 2 German Shepherds and I did fine with them. I got old somewhere along the way. Having lost my 2 chihuahua/terrier brothers 9 and 5 months ago it has been really difficult to not be able to take care of this dog the way he needs. I think he needs a few other dogs to play with.

Date: January 07, 2024 10:10PM

Yes, that's another very challenging breed. Perhaps an active young family might be just the ticket for him.

Perhaps a small, less demanding dog might be right for you? One neighbor has a Westie, and it's small, friendly, and doesn't seem like too much work. There are Westie rescues.

Date: January 08, 2024 12:17AM

Westies are a nice breed but they are a terrier and were bred to hunt vermin and are great at Earth Dog trials. They can be diggers and harder to train. My Papillons were bred to do nothing lol. Not a damn thing. They are very smart and can do well at many things but it is more on a dog by dog basis. This is a good list of "companion" dogs. I disagree with them on some, a Poodle of any size is a working dog.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 12:23AM

Papillons were bred to look pretty with those gorgeous butterfly ears. That's their job!

Date: January 08, 2024 01:50AM

Don't be fooled by the pretty. They are Border Collie smart. The puppy has learned to manipulate her big sister and my big girl is still in shock that the little one can do it. I swear the puppy can snicker!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 11:31PM

My former gf bought a weeks-old Siberian husky years ago, he's a great dog, barks loudly when someone comes to the door, chases rats, minds a leash well & good potty habits. 6? years old now, no problems whatsoever.

Date: January 08, 2024 12:18AM

Good on her! She has put in the work :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.