Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TempleDiner ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 09:47PM

Any thoughts about the cafeteria in the temple ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 09:49PM

Since you brought it up, you presumably have some thoughts on the subject. Care to share them?

Posted by: TempleDiner ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 10:15PM

The cash register?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 10:48PM

The price of admission takes my appetite away.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 03:05PM

Back in the day when I was still deeply mired in the mormon cesspool, I heard mention of the temple cafeteria. However, I never did venture there to see. Why eat cafeteria food when there was a Mr. Steak so close by?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 03:17PM

> Why eat cafeteria food when there
> was a Mr. Steak so close by?

Ah, the memories!

But you can't be referring to the one that I worked at...

Date: January 06, 2024 07:44PM

In Ogden, on the boulevard (West side)? Hmmm, not too far South of the famous Ogden bridge sign?

Date: January 06, 2024 09:07PM

I made $90/week cooking at the Mr. Steak on State St., in Provo, '68 - '70.

Rent for a two bdrm house on 3/4 acre, across from the Lakeview Ward chapel was $75/month.  Remember those days?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 09:22PM

No.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 10:01PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 06, 2024 10:04PM

I hate to break it to you, persona anciana, but the short story contest ended years ago.

Date: January 06, 2024 10:49PM

I shan't give up!!!

Date: January 06, 2024 11:03PM

Damn! Double post.

My internet went out and the first one vanished from my screen. Lo and behold, chaos.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 09:35PM

Date: January 08, 2024 01:43PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 04:23PM

I know that a number of people said on this board that the cafeteria food was rather good. I think meals were sold at cost. But like most things LDS, anything that truly benefits the members and costs the church money falls by the wayside.

I'm not sure if any of the busier temples still have cafeterias.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 04:24PM by summer.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 04:32PM

Our Elders Quorum demanded that EQ temple night be on Thursday because that was roast beef night at the temple caffateria.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 06:01PM

Absolutely! If you're being asked to endure that nonsense, at least you can be well fed for your efforts.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 06:46PM

Don't know about the temple but the cafeteria at COB was pretty good.

Date: January 06, 2024 07:02PM

Is that you, Elder Bednar?

Date: January 06, 2024 07:12PM

Brings the Q: Were the ingredients acquired from church farms & ranches?

Could TR holders dine at the cafeteria without 'going thru a session'?

Hmmmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 07:14PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 07:23PM

I ate at the Church Office Building, breakfast, lunch, and dinner for two weeks. The missionary training center was across the street. A few times I met my parents after a session at the Temple Cafeteria when the members were allowed.

Did you pay for the temple meal? Yes. Was the meal expensive? No. I do not remember if we had to pay for our meals as a missionary. This was around 45 years ago.

There was no prime rib or steaks. But I do remember the food was good. They had good cooks on staff. However, I do remember there was no going for second helping at the COB. They gave you a plate, everybody got the same thing, portions were the same, and you had 30 minutes to walk across the street, go to the cafeteria, eat, and be back in the missionary training center.

Date: January 06, 2024 07:57PM

Ah yes, I remember this place well. The MTC was a 3-4 story building with bunk beds and dorm style rooms. A huge meeting room on the main floor where all of the indoctrination took place. Parents dropped off their kids in front, not much time for goodbyes. Yeah, was there for about a week and then off to the train station.

Date: January 06, 2024 08:08PM

Was that the LTM? I associate the MTC with Provo and later.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 08:30PM

The MTC started in SLC. It was originally called the Mission Home then the MTC.
It was moved to Provo in 1978.

The LTM was always in Provo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Training_Center

Date: January 06, 2024 08:53PM

I think it was just called the mission home then.

It was from here that I did my first temple session and was given a special name. Back at the dorm, we were discussing how special the temple experience was until one of the missionaries told us he knew what our secret temple names were. They were all the same frigging name!! What a let down that was.

Date: January 06, 2024 09:24PM

Thank you both.

Date: January 06, 2024 09:46PM

When he and his dad got to the Salt Lake Mission Home, it was a reverent madhouse; just over two hundred kids were being dropped off within the two-hour timeframe the instruction letters had mentioned.

The manner of the ‘drop-off’ ran a predictable gamut. At one extreme were the partings like PG and his dad. They unloaded his two suitcases, they shook hands, did a quick, but manly, hug, and then PG turned, picked up his suitcases, and hustled up the steps and into the building’s foyer. His dad returned to the truck, got in and drove off. There were no long, lingering looks.

At the other extreme were those parents, few in number, who demanded to enter the Mission Home to help get their child ‘situated’; you know the type…

There were more than a few who felt that they were above the 'no parents' rule due to a circumstance that they were, at first, eager to explain, and then as time wore on, were insistent on explaining! Accusations about the rule being stupid, along with those enforcing it, were few, but sincere.

But the instructions had been clear, and they were enforced: no parents could enter the Mission Home and none did. Nothing served to get the rule waived, no matter what was said, because the rule had the imprimatur of the Prophet and it WAS enforced! PG didn’t pay any attention to how these situations played out, he frankly didn’t care.

In between the two extremes were the rest, involving at least a little angst, and in many cases tears, the missionary’s, the parents…or both. One, or both sides, just didn’t want to part, especially knowing that if everything went according to plan, it would be two to two-and-a-half years before they’d see each other again, with their only two permitted phone calls, on Mother's Day and Christmas, of each year. Yeah, even if a kid from Brigham Fork served, say, in Las Vegas, he or she was only permitted to speak with the family on those two dates.

The two-and-a-half-year period was for the ‘hard language’ missions, where the language, one not taught at the LTM, had to be learned in the field. Those missionaries were felt to be virtually useless for six months, thus the mission calls were for the longer period. These included missions with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Samoan, etc. languages.

Once inside the lobby of the Salt Lake Mission Home, PG got in one of the lines leading to a table, behind which stood some male adults in suits (What else!). Well-trained as he was in the ways of the Mormon Church, PG patiently moved forward and eventually got face-to-face with one of the adults. He was asked for his name, and he responded. The adult consulted a list on his clipboard and found PG’s name. He then picked up an index card and wrote ‘B-12’ on it, handed it over to PG, and said, "You’re in the basement, down those steps (pointing), room B-12," and then he looked over PG’s shoulder, at the next Elder in line.

With the index card tucked into a coat pocket, he picked up his two suitcases and made for the staircase. At the bottom of the staircase, there was only one direction to turn, and PG headed down the wide corridor. There were rooms on both sides, beginning with B-2; they were all even numbers.

When PG got to B-12, he pushed open the door. He would never lose this memory: The room was like the motel rooms the family had occasionally stayed in on trips, with one double bed, a chest of drawers, and a door, presumably leading to a bathroom.

Again: one double bed! And there were already two suitcases at the foot of the bed!! PG, in a daze, advanced into the room, with the double bed the focus of his attention…

He put his two suitcases next to the bed and glanced at the other two suitcases. Each had a tag. He leaned over and read one of the tags: ‘Kip Bowler,’ with an address in St. George, UT.

PG, who was not averse to saying words his mother did not want him to say, said some. And a statement was declared in his mind: ‘I’m not sleeping in a double bed with another guy!’

It’s easy to understand that as the only boy in the family, he had no memory of ever sharing a bed. And on camping trips, sure he shared a tent, but they were in sleeping bags, for crap’s sake!!

PG easily dismissed the idea that someone had thought two women were assigned to the room because for sure, no one could possibly mistake Plutarch Grant Dollinger for a girl’s name. ...Or could they? No!!

PG whirled and strode out of the room, intent on finding someone who would restore justice, mete out fair play, and preserve the American Way!

Back up in the lobby, he struggled his way to the front of the table, where he showed his index card, with the B-12 on it, to another male adult who was acting all in charge and tried to explain that he was a male, and there was a double bed… He wanted to add, ‘What the hell!?’ but refrained. He wasn’t ready yet to bring out the big guns.

Who can say what the gentleman truly thought of the issue at hand? What PG heard from the man was, “Okay, give us a bit and we’ll sort it out.”

Well of course they would, PG assured himself! He wandered over to a front-facing window; there was still polite chaos going on in front of the building. PG wondered if Kip Bowler was out there, saying more farewells to whoever had brought him up from St. George? Or was Elder Bowler also looking for a redress of grievances? Surely, he, too, would have some concerns!

We'll cut to the chase. The two new Elders finally met up in the room a bit later and exchanged assurances of 100% masculinity and a deep interest in correcting the obvious error.

They didn’t know it, although the suspicion should have been present, that the Mormon Church had a rule that covered this situation: two or more male elders could NOT share the same bed! It was in black in white, and certainly those in charge there knew it.

And because they did not know that this was a set-in-stone rule they ended up accepting what they were told… They got a little talking about how, because the church was growing so rapidly and soooo many missionaries were accepting Mission Calls, the physical side of the church was not able to keep up with the wonderful and positive spiritual side, and this unfortunate manifestation of success translated into trials and tribulations ... blah blah blah.

In short, they were told, ‘You guys aren’t homosexual deviants: you know that we know that, so work with us here!!’

And the boys did. It was awkward, but they did it. They were doing the Lord’s work and the Lord’s very own servants had asked them to carry this small cross, to bear this light burden.

But PG would never forget the night he woke up, laying on his back, with Elder Bowler to his right, laying on his left side, snuggled up against PG, with his right arm thrown across PG’s chest. PG used the thumb and forefinger of his left hand to pick up Kip’s right arm at the wrist and move it off his body. Then he inched away a bit, tossed Kip’s limp right hand and arm away, rolled onto his left side, and went back to sleep.

During the week at the Salt Lake Mission Home, several, for PG, remarkable events took place. On Wednesday, the highlight, for the priesthood holders, was the visit to the Salt Lake Temple. Although both sexes went through a regular temple session, only the males, at the session’s completion, were invited to meet with the General Authorities.

The Lady Missionaries were excused, likely to do something more in line with their weaker constitutions. PG had no idea what they’d gone off to do, and it never occurred to him to find out...

From the Celestial Kingdom room, the men, who’d been told not to sit on the couches or chairs in the CK room, were led up a staircase to the floor above, which turned out to be a big assembly hall, with a double podium, meaning a podium level above the main floor, and then a second podium level higher than the first podium level. The Elders were on the main floor, and members of the church hierarchy were seated on the two higher levels.

After the Elders were seated, one of the General Authorities on the stand gave them a pep talk; if that worthy man was identified by name, PG didn’t catch it and he never even gave it a second thought. It was a weird experience, and he was way outside his comfort zone. If you know how the males dress in the temple, you’ll know why the comfort zone wasn’t even in sight. PG was not rocking the baker’s hat. The GAs were in regular suits and ties.

After the first talk, whoever it was who was presiding spoke for a few minutes about how a lot of details regarding the Plan of Salvation had not been revealed, but that it did not matter because the gospel was plain and simple.

But men being the curious creatures they are, many a church member ‘wondered’ about the facts that had not been made plain, and so, as he was sure all the Elders were aware, members of the church had identified a number of these ‘skimpy’ issues with their speculative considerations. Thus, a category of thoughts existed in the church that had come to be known as “The Mysteries.”

Truly, there remain to this day more mysteries in Mormonism than solid, dependable, unchanging, everlasting Truths! Just ask Black folk! Originally, they were ‘fence-sitters’ who had totally screwed themselves for all Eternity by not taking a stance during the War in Heaven but were still happy just to get a body.

(Lately, from all appearances, the only constant the Mormon Church holds to is that everything changes.)

In PG’s time, Mormon mysteries enjoyed a degree of popularity, and we were free to discuss them during the various classes of Priesthood, Sunday school, and Seminary.  Yes, we knew that there were no ‘final answers,’ but there were no rules that said we were forbidden to discuss our Mormon mysteries.

And since the teachers were just flawed human beings holding minor (and unpaid or low-paid) callings in the church, there was never any reason to suppose that a solid, unqualified answer would ever be given to a ‘mysteries’ question.

But that wasn’t the case during the session up in the Temple Assembly Hall. The men on the stands were the top dawgs of the Mormon Way of Life, the holders of ALL the Keys to the Kingdom. They were the ones who were authorized to take the Mormon-mobile out for a drive, with no regard to speed limits or rules of the road. And they didn’t have to be home before dark.

According to available records, the most asked question during these ‘no holds barred’ sessions was, ‘Where are the Lost Ten Tribes of Israel?’ At some point in time the go-to answer became, ‘Well, Elder, if we knew that, they wouldn’t be lost, now would they?’

Rumor had it that the bigwigs would draw straws for the privilege of being able to be the one to supply that hilarious answer.

PG endured, and the week passed quickly. PG and Elder Bowler got along fine. They were both Utah semi-farm boys who had each done well in school. They had almost everything in common...

And then it was on the LTM!

Yes, this is the time Joseph Fielding Smith was flipped the bird by a future Hall of Shame missionary!!

Date: January 06, 2024 10:05PM

I hate to break it to you, persona anciana, but the short story contest ended years ago.

Date: January 06, 2024 10:50PM

In my heart, short story time is forever...

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 02:38AM

I arrived at the Mission Home less than a week into 1979. The dropping off, and walking up those stairs was still the same proceedure. The double beds where gone. Replaced by open dorm type rooms with bunk beds that went up three bunks. Each had a ladder for the winner of the top bunk. You were assigned your bed, you did not get to choose.

All was shared in that big room and attached bath area. Each morning you would see various stages of dress between showers, visits to see John, and waiting for your turn to comb your hair or brush your teeth. You had 45 minutes. Privacy did not exist.

Lectures in that big meeting room were during the morning and afternoon. Late afternoon and evening was set aside for classes. I did not know what was worse, the lectures on those stone seat chairs with nothing but a 1\8th inch gap between and about 14 inches for your knees. Bathroom breaks, don't even think about asking or excusing yourself. Then those long classes that ran until 10:00 P.M., and then you had 30 minutes to get into bed. Lights out, no exceptions.

Most of us hoped something like a meteor would hit us, to spare us the intense boredom and those daily lectures about staying away from the girls. We were all sure it was going to get better in the mission field.....for me, not really, it was just a change of scenery. Ahh the ignorance of youth, if I could just go back for 5 minutes so I could find myself, slap the crap out of me, and tell me to run like hell away from that buidling.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 10:49PM

The Cardston temple had good bran muffins last time I was there in 1960? for dead dunking...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 01:47AM

My parents thought the temple cafeteria was good, but I thought it was grossly overpriced. This was right after the church was pushing high attendance at temple~ 1990. Someone figured out that the Oakland temple cafeteria could make a tidy profit.

I still remember some of the prices. The lunch special was usually Cream of Potato soup. It came with a glass of water and 4 saltine crackers (2 two cracker packs)- more on that in a moment. It was 6.75. If you wanted milk or juice it was 1.75 for a 6 oz cup. Any soft drink 8 oz can of Sprite or Root Beer was 2.25. For comparison, the big Hungry Man Campbells Soup was 1.25 in the store at the time.

The big ticket item was a Salsbury steak for 12.50 or 13.50 (The reason I remember the price was that Sizzlers steak house was offering its steak, baked potato with a one trip thru the salad and taco bar for 10.50). I thought it was very inflated for a giant TV dinner.

Back to the soup. I usually eat a bowl of soup with 10-12 crackers (please no criticism of my sodium addiction). Did you know they rang up 75 cents for each additional two cracker pack? The bill with my parents went well over 20 dollars.

My mindless mom (who regularly wrote rubber checks) whipped out her checkbook despite a big sign at the cash register - No Checks! I gave my mom another 20 to cover the meal.

A few other ways they charged temple patrons:

They charged an 8% gratuity on parties of 3 or more.

They charged everyone a table fee of 1.50

When they brought the potato soup, the server said- We ran out of soup. One bowl was less than half. I was told that they would gladly serve me the Salsbury steak if I agreed to pay the difference. No thank you!

There were other signs on the walls. None of these were handwritten, but laminated in block letters (black with a white background). They were snarky in nature which greatly reinforced the terrible experience at the temple.

-Only one refill of water per meal

-Be considerate of others and conclude your meal within 15 minutes of seating

-Loud laughter is NEVER appropriate in the House of the Lord

-Please leave your table area is clean. Remove your tray when leaving the table

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 07:17PM

TempleDiner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any thoughts about the cafeteria in the temple ?

Eat meat sparingly, only in times of Cold or Famine.

So God inspired the invention of Air Conditioning?

And global news reporting so we can see there is always a famine... somewhere?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 10:08PM

I always wanted to go to the cafeteria and never made it there. I went so few times and I always had somewhere I had to be right after I went that I never did eat in the cafeteria. Too bad???

Date: January 08, 2024 10:24AM

On one of the youth baptismal trips, I had a few dollars. I went with a couple of boys and a girl. I think it was after 9 am. I think it was closed or full. The cafeteria staff had a stanchion (velvet rope) blocking the entrance. A man told us that they were closed until lunch.

I remember that I barely had enough to buy a small box of dry cereal. It was 2.50 or 2.75. If you wanted milk with the bowl, it was 4.50

I think they had an early bird special that consisted of poached egg and a slice of toast for 5.25

The temple cafeteria may have been open around dinner. I only went for lunch.

Date: January 08, 2024 12:47PM

Yikes! on those price$, messy!!

Please tell us what year or at least era - epoch that was, OK?

Date: January 08, 2024 01:31PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yikes! on those price$, messy!!
>
> Please tell us what year or at least era - epoch
> that was, OK?

1990-1995

I only had cafeteria experiences at the Oakland temple.

I attended the Dallas temple twice with a ward/stake trip. If the temple food was great or the experience was exhilarating, then we would have made our way to the temple cafeteria. Instead we did a session, changed into our grubbies for a bus trip home then went to eat at Luby's.

Luby's is a Texas institution for cafeteria food.

https://www.lubys.com/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 01:52PM

It must have been back when Jesus was complaining about the moneychangers in the temple. Apparently he was not successful extracting the moneychangers from temples. :-D

Date: January 08, 2024 02:13PM

Isn't that one of the great ironies? The temple is one enormous money-change machine: from tithing to get in, to clothing to rent and food to purchase.

I'm sure Jesus will express his outrage just as soon as he can schedule a meeting with President Nelson.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 02:41PM

That's the thing. They condemn what they actually do. They say the most outrageous things out loud and people still buy it!

They insult their followers by calling them sheep (herd them around and fleece them) and the followers still don't get it.

People like to be lied to in general I guess. They have zero issues with hypocrisy. Stupid humans.

Date: January 08, 2024 02:52PM

I remember when I was first learning about China's re-education camps from the 1950s. Confessions, public penance, brainwashing, etc: I was stunned by the similarities with Mormonism.

I brought this up with my father, and he denied the facts. I shook my head and said the better argument was the old canard that Satan copies all of God's best ideas and, viewed from that perspective, Chinese re-education methods were a perversion of God's pristine educational processes.

But hey, the bigger the lie the better it sells. Right?

Date: January 08, 2024 02:42PM

In addition to nudity and being molested (which no one warned me about being washed/touched), the money charge for everything MADE no sense!

Seriously, I can't think of anything positive of being there.

-Sat on floor while waiting for your turn to change to become dunked
-Told to hurry up, font not drained when someone puked
-Youth with bloody noses were told that they were wicked/had unresolved sins
-Clothing very tight for both young men and young women- I'm a guy who got ribbed from the yw for having a nice crack (butt)
-Youth held in auxiliary building because the church didn't want a ward wrecking the outdoor ambiance

-Hassled for sitting in vehicle parking lot
-Not allowed to sit down in celestial room
-Ran out of dressing room--> told to leave temple area
-Forfeiting a session because nature calls for a restroom emergency
-Not allowed to finish a session because robe was on wrong shoulder with hat string the wrong way
-Hit by temple worker for letting temple garment touch floor during initiatories

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 01:44PM

Back when there were only 13 temples, they had cafeterias that were actually pretty good -- save for the Swiss temple that served things like gelatinous white fish that had the consistency of watery cream of wheat, topped with a mystery, putrid green sauce. It cost 5 francs, which was money ill spent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.