Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:31PM

LDS bishops are supposably recommending this camp. It has the hashtag Paris Hilton.

https://www.lifelineutah.com/

https://www.tiktok.com/@mormonstoriespodcast/video/7325101948921924910?lang=en

Jodi Hildebrandt was in the news not too long ago and Rubi Franke for child abuse. I grew up in Germany. Anyone living in Utah can you confirm or deny that the lds church is recommending those camps to parents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 07:26PM

I haven't heard anything about that in my neck of the woods. That sounds off even for Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 08:06AM

Those reviews are brutal.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 06:30AM

elderolddog the yelp reviews are awful about lifeline.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 08:56AM

You're right, the reviews are not only awful, but also unanimous. The place sounds horrible. If it were just scamming parents out of dollars, it would be bad enough, but their mistreatment also causes genuine harm. Disgusting.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 03:41PM

I live in an area of Utah that is very highly LDS. I have not heard of bishops recommending this program or others like it, but I do know of Mormon families who have sent their children to programs like this.

I'm in the middle of listening to this podcast. It's very interesting. One thing that the woman who's being interviewed mentions is that Lifeline is very expensive. Her parents paid $4000/month almost twenty years ago. She said that there were those who attended the program whose families could not afford the fee and it was paid for by the church. Her experience was quite awhile ago and that may not be the case today, but a really terrible use fast offerings nonetheless.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 05:19PM

I've edited the following from a March 2023 SLTrib article:

Since 2020 Paris has pushed for reform to oversight teen treatment programs in Utah and other states.

Hilton wrote extensively about her time in wilderness programs and teen treatment centers — including at Provo Canyon School — and how the alleged abuse affected her into adulthood.

The current owners of Provo Canyon School, repeatedl declined to respond to Hilton's story saying it did not own the facility during the time she said she was abused.

...arriving at Provo Canyon School in 1997 she was forced to submit to a pelvic exam before being handed a pair of faded sweats labeled with the number “127.”  Hilton said staff referred her by this number...

...While at Provo Canyon School, Hilton said she endured late-night gynecological exams for no clear medical reason.

“They called it a ‘medical exam,’” Hilton wrote.  “And because I wasn’t ready to call it ‘digital rape,’ I called it a medical exam, too.”

In her book, Hilton recalled being haunted by memories of being taken to an infirmary several times in the middle of the night for a vaginal exam that had no clear medical purpose.

If the girls resisted the examination, Hilton said, they were threatened with the injection of a sedative.  These injections were used with such regularity during that time that residents and staff nicknamed it “booty juice,” she said.

“There was always a tray with syringes,”

Hilton said her mother told acquaintances that she had gone to school in London during that time.

As an adult, Hilton googled “Provo Canyon School” and said she was surprised to learn it was still open.

She has returned to Utah twice for advocacy work — once in 2020 to hold a rally outside Provo Canyon School, and again the following year to testify before a state Senate committee urging members to pass regulatory reform of Utah’s booming troubled-teen industry.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/03/14/heres-what-paris-hilton-says-about/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 07:12PM

Good gawd.
Don't take your kids anywhere if they require "medical" exams, religious practices or coaching that require removing clothes in any way without a parent present. Cameras and people looking for opportunity are everywhere.

I think probably there were always things like this happening, but people didn't talk about such things when I was a kid.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 02:05PM

My cousin, who was in his teens, died on one of these wilderness treks of bubonic plague, this was like 45 or so years ago. His parents sent him on this to in hope it would get him shaped up and back on track. They were way out in the Utah desert doing the wilderness survival thing. I was told that they believe he picked it up from a flea that jumped from a small animal they might have trapped or something. Anyone with basic medical training would likely realized that his symptoms suggested a rapidly progressing bacterial infection and gotten him somewhere for medical treatment. If if they did not test for plague they'd have likely given him a broad spectrum antibiotic, and in most cases this does the trick. Bubonic plague, unbelievable.

Posted by: agnome ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 06:47AM

What is this? A camp for unruly children?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 07:23AM

Pretty much -- or children that the parents deem as "unruly," which in Mormon-speak means that they are not into the entire church way of doing things. Utah has a history of having these abusive institutions. From the article, it looks like Lifeline has both an outpatient and residential option. It's the residential option that is in trouble.

These programs need to be shut down. It's obvious that the state has no idea how to monitor such programs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.