Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gilaman ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 09:07AM

Russell M. Nelson#, "From Heart to Heart" (Salt Lake City, 1979), is a treasure trove of information. In it we can find Nelson discussing things like his membership of the Skull and Bones frat at the UoU, and also his 2nd Anointing with Dantzel (what would she think now?) Both of these seem to be missing from later memoirs. I wonder why?

On p. 188, we can read about Nelson describing how Elder Hugh B. Brown received a visit from a former Prophet.
"Moving from messages of apostles of the nineteenth century to those of the twentieth, I would like to relate a personal experience with Elder Hugh B. Brown. It is sacred to me, and was also to him. Elder Brown had served earlier as a member of the First Presidency where, along with countless other matters, he had borne responsibilities relating to the building of the Washington Temple. I suppose that some of the decisions that had to be made did not go unchallenged.

'President Spencer W. Kimball extended an invitation to Elder Brown to attend the dedication of that temple in November 1974. As a physician, I had been invited to accompany Elder Brown, now enfeebled due to advanced age. Months prior to his passing on December 2, 1975, I received his permission to record this experience, from which I quote:

'"On the morning of the temple dedication, President Brown greeted me [R. M. N.] with the news that he had been visited during the night by President Harold B. Lee (President Lee had died the year before)." Elder Brown "described it as a glorious visit, one that meant much to him, for President Lee had been aware of some of the difficulties encountered by President Brown in the decisions that led to the construction of the temple in Washington, D.C.

'"Later that morning, as we took President Brown to breakfast, Sister Harold B. (Freda Joan) Lee approached us. As we exchanged greetings, President Brown said to her, 'I had a glorious visit with Harold last night. He is just fine. It was so good to visit with him.'

'"This was such a moving experience for us all. We felt the presence of President Lee's spirit in the temple through the witness of President Brown."'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 11:16AM

TSCC claims that the bible is true "as far as it is translated correctly".

Maybe they didn't think Deuteronomy 18:10-11 was correct, or they would pay more attention to it.

Not a good idea to mess around with familiar spirits.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 12:27PM

"Later that morning, as we took President Brown to breakfast,"

Major correction: It was President Brown who took you Mr. Nelson to breakfast. You were a nothing squat in 1975. President Brown was a somebody in the church in 1975. Nelson was a nothing back then.

Just another glaring example of how Nelson makes himself appear to be more relevant than he really is.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 01:21PM

Mormons, when trying to shut down discussion: "I've had experiences too sacred to share."

Nelson: "I would like to relate a personal experience with Elder Hugh B. Brown. It is sacred to me, and was also to him."

So, mormons, is your "sacred" experience more sacred than Brown's? Is your warm fuzzy feeling more sacred than Lee's ghost dropping by for a chat? If Nelson has no issue with talking about this, then you can certainly talk about yours.

Of course, it's all BS, but this can help put them in their place.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 01:46PM

To sacred to share unless I can tell a second hand story that may help my book sell.

Posted by: Gilaman ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 05:32AM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To sacred to share unless I can tell a second hand
> story that may help my book sell.

He was a bit shyer about his Second Anointing although it does get mentioned.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2506343

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 09:42AM

......President Brown said to her, 'I had a glorious visit with Harold last night. He is just fine. It was so good to visit with him.'....'"This was such a moving experience for us all. We felt the presence of President Lee's spirit in the temple through the witness of President Brown."'

We all have our world view. Mine is that there are no ghosts, spirits, demons, visits, visions, NDEs, etc.

The stories of any of those who claim to have had these kinds of experiences can be totally discounted and ignored and those story tellers can be considered dishonest or loony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2024 09:43AM by Twinker.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 09, 2024 01:02AM

Has someone written (a credible) collection of NDE experiencs thar include names, dates, places?

Wouldn't that be gold to the religous crowd?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 09, 2024 10:03AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has someone written (a credible) collection of NDE
> experiencs thar include names, dates, places?
>
> Wouldn't that be gold to the religous crowd?

The LDS book store used to carry non members' books about them.

My mom despite trying her best to fit in as a TBM, would buy them by the truck load. She had them prominently displayed on her coffee table.

Our home teacher saw them when making visits to our home. He would say nothing about NDE books which was smart. However, the HT's wife might say something catty to my mom- You know we have to be careful when choosing what we bring into our homes. We shouldn't be going to non-LDS bookstores when choosing our spiritual readings.

My mom would ask Mrs Catty to flip over the dust jacket of a book- The store had its stamp- Covenant Books or LDS Bookstore. Some of these experiences were even published by the church's publisher Book Craft.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.