Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rosie ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 12:24PM

My mom is all about the 72-hour, emergency preparedness kits. She bought herself a large packpack full of emergency supplies (distributed by a mormon-owned company of course) and bought me one too. She lives in a tiny apartment, but has large stock piles of that freeze-dried "THRIVE" food storage crap (another MLM scam run by mormons), despite having NO room and being only ONE person! She has enough food storage/emergency supplies for a family of 6!

So what is it that mormons teach that makes them crazy about having the latest and greatest 72-hour kits/food storage? And why 72-hours instead of 48-hours or 12-hours? I mean, yeah obviously there is a small chance there could be a disaster at any moment (especially with all the damage we're doing to Mother Earth, but that's a whole other post), but seriously, are they preparing for the 2nd coming or something? Really, what is up with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 12:26PM

It's 72 hours because studies show that after 3 days your neighbors are going to figure out you have food storage and will kill you and you're entire family.

Other than that, I have no clue. However, here in hurricane alley the kit is also 72 hours.

Ron

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:42PM

I thought you took the 72 hour kit along while you stand in line at FEMA

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 02:29PM

+1 nice

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 12:27PM

This goes around every few years as it looks like we are in end-times. My parents had food storage up the wazoo in the 70's and finally threw it away when the cans started to bulge etc. They had spent thousands on that crap that NO one would eat anyway. It is ok to have an emergency plan, but, really, who is going to eat on that freeze dried stuff for months?????

Posted by: Lost ( )

It's just another attempt by the LD$ to make a little money selling these things, while keeping the sheepie busy.

Posted by: ginger ( )

Your mom and my mom should get together and go bowling. They sound so similar. My mom has all of the supplies too. I don't know why 72 hours though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 12:28PM by ginger.

Date: July 20, 2011 12:30PM

Ginger: Nah, you and I should get together and have some wine! You sound fun (and made me laugh several times since joining this board a week ago) :)

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 12:36PM

This was something drummed into me when I lived in Southern California back after the Whittier earthquake (1987). It did come in handy when we had the Northridge earthquake (1994). I didn't have a "3-day supply" as your mother probably overdid it, but I probably overdid it as well by having a backpack with not just a 3-day supply of food, but other emergency stuff that might have been needed should things have gone bad.

I also carried a 3-day emergency kit in my car just in case. This kit didn't just have food and water, but a flashlight, a reflective blanket, batteries, a radio, a first aid kit, and some other stuff I don't recall.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:06PM

Well they used to push for having months worth on hand, and you were all kinds of extra righteous if you had two years covered, goals of six months or a year were common when I was growing up.

And so many mos felt like failures because that stuff is expensive, and disgusting!

So 72 hour kits are like the bare minimum, "everyone can manage this!" edict. And just another way to apply guilt and pressure.

So you're telling me you didn't have enough food and water on hand to last 72 hours before your mom gave you this kit? ;) ;) ;)

No seriously, think about that one for a minute. Anyone here who isn't currently in a college dorm NOT have enough general snacks on hand to make it through 3 days?

It's just a way to apply.guilt and squeeze money for overpriced kits.

Date: July 20, 2011 01:11PM

Aw thanks Rosie. I've been told I am kind of random, but it's cool. We should get together for wine. I think we're close to the same age. I just turned 33. Yikes!

Date: July 20, 2011 01:24PM

I'm 30. We're young! Not by LDS standards, but by REAL standards!

Where do you live? I'm in San Diego, CA.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:18PM

My mom had several years supply in the 70's too. Luckily most of the stuff she stocked up on was stuff we ate, so it was rotated as it was used. But she went thru phases when she bought nasty stuff she learned about in relief society. The worst was probably the dehydrated soy meat. Blecch. Second worst was carob. Dunno why they pushed that in RS cuz it's supposedly healthier than the regular chocolate and mormons aren't known for healthy.

About half the house was taken up with the food storage including wheat and grinder. Now I know why it always seemed so cluttered.

Date: July 20, 2011 01:26PM

Oh damn I'm in Utah. We have family in Cali and we visit at least once a year. Maybe I'll have to let you know when we're there next.

Date: July 20, 2011 01:29PM

Yes please do! My dad lives in Cedar City and I visit him occasionally. Are you in Southern UT?

Date: July 20, 2011 01:33PM

I live in Northern Utah, closer to Salt Lake.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:34PM

If you are forced to evacuate from your home, you could be three days just getting out of town due to heavy traffic!

Imagine your city or town under an evacuation order, and you are on foot because no car can move due to the congestion. As you march with hundreds of others, what are you going to eat or drink?

We all saw with our own eyes people in Louisiana waiting for help from...the government, the Red Cross, anyone! Wouldn't it have been nice for all those people in the dome if they had a backpack with food and water?

After the tornados, tsunamis, volcanos, earthquakes and electricity crisis we have had, it makes perfect sense. Even if you are stuck in your own home without electricity, the stores are not going to be getting shipments and you are on your own.

I have a three day kit in a rolling suitcase I bought at a thrift store. I am also prepared to live in my home without electricity for three weeks. Beans and rice and powdered milk will get me through. I remember the Northridge earthquake- I was in So Cal at the time TWO WEEKS after the quake, they were still communicating to the residents by airplane trailing a sign.

Anagrammy

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:50PM

I agree, a 72 hour emergency kit is a very good idea. But fill it with stuff you will use, not dehydrated soy "meat". And if it takes up more than 20% of the total space in your house, it's too much. ;-)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 02:43PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am also prepared to live in my home without electricity for three weeks.

There are times when I'm really grateful that I have a gas stove. Even when the electricity goes out, I can have hot food.

We had a hurricane here some years ago, and the electricity was out for at least a week. Even using ice, pretty much everything in my fridge had to be tossed after a few days. That was instructive!

What kind of food to you keep in your rolling luggage, Anagrammy? I'm also wondering about what kind of food would best keep in a car trunk (which wouldn't be a bad idea.) It gets hot in these parts.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 03:54PM

I bought a 3 day supply of MRE's for about $50 from REI. DO NOT BUY the 3day from efoods or any of those Mormon stores. Reason is theirs contains useless fillers like hard candy and oatmeal. Plus they charge a fortune for shipping. You want good quality meals where you only need hot water. You supplement the MRE's with oatmeal and instant milk (NIDO-buy in middle eastern food stores) and they can last you 10 days--Oatmeal for breakfast, beans/rice for lunch, MRE for dinner.

Then I bought a way to heat water. Something dependable that you can afford. Because I'm older, I bought the easiest and most stable backpack stove with the flat rounded fuel source (I am clumsy and knock stuff over a lot). I also bought a pump type water purifier so I could scoop up filthy water with my coffee pot and then pump it into my water bottle for fresh drinking or cooking water. I packed 2 bottles of water to start with.

First Aid Kit - I packed a big pill bottle of medication and every time I get a refill, it goes into the red rolling bag and I use the one I had in there. I also save one antibiotic from every prescription and rotate those in the same bottle.

A tiny coffee pot for boiling water and making stuff (again because I spill things). I also can eat from it. Everything else I included - Tang, oatmeal, rice, could be made from just hot water. Also packed salt, sugar and instant coffee. I brought extra rice and beans to share food with others.

For baths, adult diaper wipes. Extra socks, underwear (1 set of each), a sweater, a rain poncho.

Incidentally, I keep empty bleach bottles of water along the floor in my closet 2 deep for eight feet. I also catch rainwater in an empty trashcan outside (purified with Clorox) and plan to use that for laundry and dishwashing for the three weeks without electricity.

THe last thing and maybe most important is a quick-grab bag which I have hung by the door. Flashlight/windup radio, facemask, water bottle, extra keys, medication, kleenex, first aid and rubber wedge to prop door open. Often after an earthquake the air is filled with cement dust. In a fire, it's smoke. You are advised to wet a mask and put it on your face to protect your lungs. When the ground starts shaking or the alarms go off or you smell smoke, this is what you grab first --mine fits on my waist--then the rolley bag. If there's no time for the rolling bag, at least you have the essentials for getting out safely.

Anagrammy
(Tenant's Survival Committee)

Date: July 20, 2011 04:08PM

Rather than REI, you might want to try Major Surplus and Survival at http://www.majorsurplus.com - they seem to have slightly better stuff (I use both Major Surplus and REI, so I have experience with both).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:36PM

mix in A Little good, Common Sense with the other B.S. they pedal.

Yup; Been There, Done That.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:48PM

When I was in the Marines I finally got one of my buddies to come to a single adult "Family Home Evening." It was on the the campus of the University of Hawaii and I thought it might be cool to meet some college girls. I'd only been there once before. The lesson was on 72 hour kits.

IT WAS ONE OF MY ALL TIME TBM MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENTS.

After watching disaster videos in the dark we had to compile 72 hour kits in the dark. Then there came a testimony meeting, in the dark. My friend was totally creeped out. He still hassles me about that night and it's been 7+ years ago. At least he only has bad memories of mormons and won't ever join.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 01:49PM

Chances are we will never need such a kit but in the rare case that we would, it is better to have something like that.

FEMA says it will take about four or five days before they can get their people out to a disaster site. The way the government is, I wouldn't expect them for a week. This is kind of where the idea of the 72-hour kit came from. While we are waiting for FEMA, we are on our own...hence the emergency preparedness and the kits.

In looking at the Japan earthquake, it took about a week for their government to start coming into the zone and Japan is a lot more prepared then we are for such things.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 02:49PM

I come from a background where you grow it in the summer, can it, then eat it in the winter.
I have food that would last us about 4 to 6 weeks. HOWEVER it is food that we eat on a regular basis so we eat what we bought first and back it up with food that we eat on a regular basis. NOT misc. food that we would probably never eat.
You should use judgment and not blindly buy just to satisfy the whims of the so called leadership

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 02:51PM

I've lived in California earthquake country for over ten years. I store water in cleaned juice bottles, keep kits in my car and in my home. I've actually used the water a handful of times, though, not because of earthquakes. I've used the first-aid kit in my car lots and lots because I have crazy boys who know no fear.

I think the key is balance. Be prepared, not a fanatic.

Date: July 20, 2011 04:02PM

I agree, it's about balance. But my problem with the kits is that you have to replace the food every 5 years or so. Seriously, who has the money for that.

And do you really need an emergency blanket, 3 flashlights, a tarp/tent thingy, etc all in the same kit? I mean c'mon - she lives in a populated area. Does she (or the idiots selling it to her) really believe she is going to need a tarp/tent? It's not like she lives in the friggin' desert! How much of that crap is just scare-tactics and how much of it is really needed? I can buy into the purified water packets, dried food and first-aid kit, but beyond that - give me a break! It's Southern California I'm talking about. There are no snow storms, you aren't going to freeze to death no matter what time of year it is.

I guess if you are an avid outdoor person and go on lots of road trips, it would make sense. But to sell this kit as a "must-have" to gullable mormons like my mom, is just plain robbery if you ask me.

Date: July 20, 2011 04:39PM

rosie Wrote:
> I agree, it's about balance. But my problem with
> the kits is that you have to replace the food
> every 5 years or so. Seriously, who has the money
> for that.
>
> And do you really need an emergency blanket, 3
> flashlights, a tarp/tent thingy, etc all in the
> same kit? I mean c'mon - she lives in a populated
> area. Does she (or the idiots selling it to her)
> really believe she is going to need a tarp/tent?
> It's not like she lives in the friggin' desert!

Maybe you could suggest that your mom make her own kit, based on things she thinks would be useful. Maybe get a list of suggestions from a preparedness website.

In reference to the tent/tarp, I can think of a few reasons why they would be useful, even in a populated area, especially soCal. If there is a powerful earthquake, chances are homes/apartments may not be safe to live in. What if she has to evacuate? I lived in a tsunami zone in Newport Beach. I was always prepared to evacuate.

Date: July 20, 2011 04:10PM

Queen of Denial Wrote:
> I've lived in California earthquake country for over ten years. I store water in cleaned juice bottles, keep kits in my car and in my home. I've actually used the water a handful of times, though, not because of earthquakes. I've used the first-aid kit in my car lots and lots because I have crazy boys who know no fear.
>
> I think the key is balance. Be prepared, not a fanatic.

Precisely! My kit came in useful when the Northridge quake hit in 1994. I was 9 miles from the epicenter. I had what I needed just in case.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 03:19PM

I think its horrible, just awful, to take advantage of someone's anxiety & make them buy junk that is useless to them. Has she even tasted any of this food? Or is she related to back packers she needed to supply food to interfering with her budget for years (that sporting good dehydrated stuff is expensive!)

Agree with above posters re a week of earthquake food. I used up lots of my snacks & quick meals on a new job assignment four years ago; I had no office but sent to move between buildings with no desk or office constantly doing presentations. I began to use up things I had considered emergency food (like one serving apple sauce, cups of soup, lipton's cup of soup mixes, small servings of raisins, & camping food like oatmeal packets) All I needed was hot water. I didn't have access to plates cups or bowls, anything but a microwave, and no refrigerator or space to leave any cup or plate. So using that 'emergency one serving stir & heat' sort of thing, It was far less expensive than eating in a restaurant, and one was not available where I did the work, or between the presentation rooms which were on a strict time schedule. Working giving presentations in five locations without a desk or work platform changed how much food, the types of food, and snack planning for me. I learned finally to travel light. The 72 hour kit is like that. For getting by traveling light, having the essential snacks to just get by.

so I tore up my earthquake kit & lived on it, kept re purchasing, & kept supplies behind my seat in my vehicle so I'd always have snacks, lunch, possibly breakfast if I needed it. & I was working full time, not homeless, just commuting only 17 or 19 miles one way. Leaving home & returning in the dark doing presentations without a home base, basically living out of my vehicle for food. You wouldn't imagine you would need food so light you could carry it, where you didn't need to refrigerate it, where you did not need cup bowl or plate to serve it, lighter in weight than an apple or sandwich - wow that was pretty challenging. Good thing I learned to drink the coffee.

Is this some package deal nobody is going to touch, or an integrated favorite food. for instance anjo ango peppers come dried, getting fresh peppers is expensive & nearly impossible some time of the year. I grind them in a blender with water to make my enchilada sauce.
Dehydrated foods make soup making faster- have you ever used dehydrated tomato power? like magic. but expensive. Tomato paste is less costly for me to make sauces with than tomato powder- but again, I may be closer to the fields, and just twenty miles from a tomato cannery actually. The weight for freight might take the prices higher so dried or powdered tomatoes become cheaper further away. So what are the prices? how can you get the product cheapest & still experience it?
Myself, While I would love to never peel a carrot again, or cut an onion- so if I could find those dried to throw in a soup or stew it would make life easier. Probably not going to do it- I live near farms- the real things are cheaper, accessible, & local.

You have to be concerned about palitability/flavor so its edible, but living on it might get someone sick or make their allergies or immune system dip if it has too many preservatives like msg (causes some people migranes.) so check that out- some things are intended as temporary measures with limited access which wouldn't hurt you, not daily consumption forever (high salt/sodium would be a blood pressure concern etc.) Read that label before you consider eating your dehydrated food storage or ready made food for daily consumption- you could increase your blood pressure or gain weight through fluid retention &* need all new clothes when you were trying to save weight consuming your food storage.

Everyone's access & choices to use food is different. My brother was an accountant at a big salsa producer, and tasked about the most expensive products actually the best, grade, fresh ingredients, and the lower end ones were made from dehydrated ingredients. It was a really big deal. so you have to be concerned with more msg or flavor enhancers being added to dehydrated foods (which I heard aren't that good for you sadly) That's a sacrifice with dehydrated stuff, unless its like potatoe flakes from Idaho- that's just potatoes, not an entire meal needing to be spiced up.

One of my family members is a gourmet cook, was vegan now vegetarian, did big events on the california coast- great food. They cook for pleasure & leisure. their food is a dream.
another member of my family eats half their meals, gets a yogurt and a bagel at university food services on their way to work. they buy a sandwich or salad for lunch and bring it back to their department. They see if their husband cooked anything or if they're going out with friends, or eat left overs from going out or their last event at night. They don't cook & they like meat. This family member lived for 6 years with a two foot closet kitchen, primarily used a microwave they just don't cook they didnt' need it. Presently one intelligent family member finds it absurd to procure the fixings for a meal, so takes his entire family out strategically to fast food based on the daily specials because he estimated a cost savings overall. I don't have the heart to tell him a medical cost benefit analysis might not see it that way or suggest read the nutrients or biochem rather than finances in his strategy. So everyone's really really different about how they could access or use foods.

Its been a ridiculous impromptu run through life- I cannot count the times I have eaten my so called 'food storage' (regular food in a pantry not dehydrated) so I could buy a camera. Another month, drive 700 miles; another month a computer (remember how much they used to cost)

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 03:53PM

We are subject to winter storms and power outages that can last up to a week here, not to mention the occasional big flood, where bridges and such are washed out and roads are impassable.

We keep at least weeks supply of non perishable food, lamp oil, firewood, and water purification supplies at all times, and it usually comes in handy at least once a year.

We also keep plenty of ammunition for our weapons in case it comes down to hunting game (or protecting the family) should it ever came down to that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 03:56PM by Hillbilly Heathen.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 04:10PM

Agree with all the common sense here, not because the church says so; supplies at home AND the car, if for no other other reason than if the I-5 or I-15 has a big rig flip over and block the freeway for hours, you can have a drink and a couple of good snacks, plus extra clothes. It's happened to me before (in the snow) and boy howdy was I glad.
I used to be able to get MRE's @ 2 bucks each and thought they were actually good--great for grossing out the other wimpy guys at a paintball game.
The idea is to rotate, and keep the critters from nibbling your stash.
Did anyone here have wheat storage in 10 gallon blue cans? After a few years our cans starting peeling and revealed the olive drab paint and Civil Defense logo---urrrggghhhhh! Yes, from a Utah company...

Date: July 20, 2011 04:45PM

I have had this happen to me more than a few times, mostly because of horrible accidents. Not too long ago on Donner Pass there was a horrible accident. I was stuck for a couple hours, engine off, nowhere to go. I popped the truck and we had water and food.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 04:28PM

The 3 day (72 hr) period is the time usually deciding if you are going to dig in and wiat it out after an event or strike out ofr greener pastures.
When Ike drifted by here we had power again by the 3rd day, but the majority of people living within 10 bocks of me were out a week. After 3 days a lot of people decided to wait somewhere else.
A few year ago I lived in northern NJ and we were without electricty for 6 weeks. All well water near us too. If I could have left I would, but my job was working with developmentaly disabled populations, the state ran out of spare beds, so we all stayed, hauled and boiled water all day log. You can get clothing reasonable clean by sloshing around in a wading pool.
After 3 days of that we were all ready to go ...anywhere.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 04:30PM

I wonder how much of the wheat that Mormons have purchased through the years has actually been eaten (by people, not by bugs.)

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 04:32PM

Pay your tithing!

Then the windows of heaven will open for you, manna will appear and you'll have quail for breakfast every morning.

Pay tithing=no worries

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 20, 2011 04:45PM

Up where I live in the North the only dangers we have are tornadoes and snowstorms, so a three-day emergency kit is a good idea too.

I remembr one senior woman in our ward talking about the Sam Andy food she got in the 1970s and never ate!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.