Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 10:52PM

tonight, 3/18. 'The Book of Mormon' is a category.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 11:18PM

"No one in Canada wanted it."

"It is said to be useful as a bulletproof vest."

"It has had almost 4,000 editorial changes since being published."

"The Library of Congress does not recognize the historical claims of this popular book in Utah."

"The name of this book was once used as a reference to an American church, but that reference was banned in 2018 by that church's prophet."

"This American pseudo-history uses the phrase, 'and it came to pass' 1,430 times."

"The first 116 pages of this American religious novel were stolen by an irate housewife who knew her husband was being swindled."

"As of 2021, this American religious book has been either fully or partially translated into 115 languages, and in none of them does it make sense."

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 11:52PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 12:15AM

Agree.

Especially the last one.

EOD is on a roll.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 11:32PM

That was really lame. The whole darn category was to get them to name people who are Mormon.

I don't remember all the clues, but this is what I remember:

Something to make them say Gladys Knight.

Something about Flowers from the Killers being in the "I'm a Mormon campaign." (They gave a year.) Who the heck cares about the church's advertising "campaign" anyway?

Something about Paul Walker who I really wasn't familiar with.
(Apparently he is now some kind of generic Xtian, but Ken's still calling him Mormon).

Something about some actress from 27 Dresses who I didn't recognize the name. Ken mentioned "she is no longer practicing," which I thought was weird. Mormons say not ACTIVE usually, instead of Practicing I thought. I never called anybody at church practicing or not. Maybe she is an exmormon and he didn't want to say so. Shrug.

Comically, they used the word Mormon for the category. I guess the whole darn name won't fit on the gameboard.

Would they have a whole category naming famous Muslims or Scientologists? Maybe. I've not seen similar categories though.

A week or so ago they had another question about Mormon stuff. I've forgotten what it was now.

The contestants mostly left the category for last. LOL.

Date: March 18, 2024 11:51PM

I think Katherine Heigl is the 27 Dresses (never heard of it) actress. This is tragic:

“In 1986, her older brother Jason died of injuries suffered in a car accident, after being thrown from the back of a pickup truck while out for lunch with some of his high school classmates.[9] Her brother's death led Heigl's Lutheran mother and Catholic father to convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Heigl, then eight, was raised in that faith.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Heigl

Did they mention Amy Adams or Tara Westover?

Date: March 19, 2024 12:14AM

That is sad about Heigl. Mormons are good at preying on people who are vulnerable.

I don't think they mentioned Amy or Tara. I was only half listening though.

I think they might have a Mormon on the staff that writes questions because what normal person would know (or care) about the media "I'm a Mormon Campaign" thing? That seemed pretty obscure, even for Jeopardy.

Date: March 19, 2024 12:24AM

SNL needs to write a skit where Keenan Thompson plays a Black Ken Jennings on “Mormon Jeopardy.”

Date: March 19, 2024 12:28AM

That would be rich! LOL
I love Keenan's facial expressions when he hosts the SNL game shows. He's such a hoot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 05:33AM

Here's a possible item -- "This American Idol finalist left the faith due to not being able to live an authentic life as a gay individual."

But Jeopardy is not going to go there, is it?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 12:57AM

I noticed it too (hard to miss) but thought I shouldn't talk about Jep here any more for a while. Like maybe we've done it to death and determined there's no doubt that Mo clues showing up regularly must be a clause in Ken's contract.

I note the category was actually called Book of Mormons (as opposed to their 3 or 4 fairly recent Book of Mormon categories). I somewhat think there has for sure got to be a deliberate push for mo-related clues as there has been a noticeable number since Ken's recent advent to permanent host.

So it was a little play on words that made Ken chuckle.

I was surprised that the contestants knew all the answers but maybe the Mormons mentioned are well known to others though not to me.

I too noted the wording of Ken's extraneous comment re Heigle (sp?) that "she no longer practices". I've heard that terminology in relation to maybe a Christian Scientist or the like. Mormons don't express the thought that way as far as I know.

Also, to be completely literal, if she "no longer practices" then what's she doing in a category called 'Book of Mormons'?

No doubt church folks will be happy to see a widely watched program rack up more mo references. Plus now potential contestants will be reading mo material in prep for their game if they have noted the uptick in Mormon clues.

So win/win for the church I guess.

Date: March 19, 2024 01:03AM

I wasn't going to mention it either since I sound like a broken record about it by now!
But, since GNPE brought it up (thanks GNPE), I couldn't resist.

Date: March 19, 2024 01:45AM

Same here, dagny. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 05:30AM

The phrase "no longer practices" is used in the mainstream Christian churches.

Date: March 19, 2024 01:15AM

Date: March 19, 2024 01:45AM

Thanks Beth!

From a serial Jeopardy! RfM offender.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 07:08AM

"Utah's most popular fantasy role-playing game."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 07:21AM by bradley.

Date: March 26, 2024 11:08PM

dagn-eeee!!

It's getting to be weekly now. Another Mormon clue on tonight's show. It must be true that it's in Ken's contract that LDS references pop up regularly.

Tonight's clue: The quorum of 12 these are a governing body in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

One of the contestants rang in with the correct response: apostles.

What an obscure factoid for people out there in the real world.

It isn't the worst thing ever but it bugs me because it just seems sleazy to take advantage of Ken's new gig. I guess you just have to laugh or shake your head or both.

Date: March 26, 2024 11:25PM

Hee hee. I saw it and thought of you.

It feels like they were treating Mormonism as if it were equivalent to the other major world religions in the category.

(Doesn't everyone know the leadership structure of Mormonism like they do Catholicism? LOL.)

Date: March 26, 2024 11:34PM

Yeah, good point dagny. Leadership structure - so obscure.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 02:43AM

Questions you will never hear on Jeopardy:

What was the Mountain Meadows Massacre
Who were the LeBaron brothers
Who were the Lafferty brothers
Who is Rulon Jeffs
Who is Mark Hofmann
Who are the September Six
What is a Lamanite
Who is Steve Benson
What is polygamy
What is Utah (to the statement “the only state that does not permit the sale of “airline” minibottles of liquor”)
Who was Brigham Young (to the statement “this territorial governor was not invited to the driving of the golden spike, marking the completion of the transcontinental railroad.)

Date: March 27, 2024 11:17AM

Some more:

What is blood atonement?
What is The Pickle Parable?
What is a Jaredite barge?

Date: March 27, 2024 11:58AM

What IS the pickle parable?

(Do I really want to know?)

I'd fall off my chair if they ever mention blood atonement. Maybe we should petition Jeopardy to get into the nitty gritty of the whole thing. It's an important part of LDS history, right?!

Date: March 27, 2024 02:17PM

Ha! I *think* the pickle parable is a metaphor for the Adam-God Doctrine.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 02:49PM

Who was Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young
Who was Laban
Who was Zelph

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.