Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:31AM

Lots of news on this guy.

##########

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/r5v5vc/our_independent_women_are_more_medicated/

"Our independent women are more medicated, meddlesome, and quarrelsome than women need to be. Without connections to eternity delivered through their family, such women gain their meaning through their seeming participation in the global project."

-- Scott Yenor

##########

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/29/boise-state-university-professor-scott-yenor-action-idaho

Boise State University (BSU) professor and Claremont Institute scholar Scott Yenor was the hidden hand behind Action Idaho, a far-right online media platform that featured inflammatory rightwing commentary on politics in that state, documents obtained by the Guardian reveal.

The documents, obtained through public records requests, also show that Yenor sought and received funding for the initiative from wealthy and influential donors like Claremont Institute board chair, Thomas D Klingenstein.

He also attempted to hire a rising conservative writer, Pedro Gonzalez, to lead the initiative. Gonzalez was later embroiled in a controversy about antisemitic remarks he made in online chats in 2019 and 2020. They also show him tapping a network of expertise that overlaps both with the Claremont Institute and the Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR), a secretive fraternal Christian Nationalist organization the Guardian has reported on extensively.

Yenor has not publicly disclosed his involvement in Action Idaho, and it has only been fleetingly mentioned in previous reporting on Talking Points Memo. The revelations could raise further questions about the potential conflicts between Yenor’s professorial position at a public university and his political activism.

###########

https://www.christianpost.com/news/christians-have-fallen-for-false-ideologies-that-impede-family.html

If families are to thrive, Christians are going to have to dispense with the destructive forces and ideologies that have made family life untenable.

In the book, The Recovery of Family Life: Exposing the Limits of Modern Ideologies, Boise State University professor Scott Yenor continues his exploration of the breakdown of the family and the contributing factors that have caused it.

The book is a sequel of sorts to his first book, where he traced the philosophical underpinnings that have undermined families for centuries. His latest book focuses specifically on the past 50 years, examining the sexual revolution, modern feminism, sexual liberation theory, and contemporary liberalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2024 11:58AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:54AM

Yikes!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 12:07PM

He sounds more like a Jordan Peterson than a Mormon. Mormons don’t generally spout philosophy to justify their misogyny. They just gaslight and say it is not misogyny and how dare you badmouth God.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 12:11PM

Regarding Scott Yenor's beliefs regarding families and family life:

"Every time Scott Yenor starts an
investigation with a conclusion
already in mind, the odds are good
he'll find the evidence he needs."

--Judic West, Modern Old Person

Regarding the Yenor family's religious affiliation, his wife noted her religious affiliation as Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Boise, Potato.

This Boise, Potatos church has a website, https://gslcboise.org/, but I haven't been able to connect to it.

But their FB page was easy to reach: https://www.facebook.com/p/Good-Shepherd-Lutheran-Church-LCMS-Boise-Idaho-100064704544979/

Amy is the Events Coordinator for the Ambrose School
https://theambroseschool.org/about/staff2/administrative/

Logic would have us concluse that Scott is also a Lutheran.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 12:49PM

I miss the days of my bike leaning on its stand at the top of the embankment, while you stood in the cold waters of a creek about a foot deep. A nice hot summer day over ninety but the thick tree growth at waters edge keeps you from getting sunburned, your buddies nearby as you laugh and kick water at each other.

Finally you get home at dusk, twist the channel dial on the TV and perhaps come across a preacher asking for money or yelling we are all going to hell. Well you just move past that TV channel looking for something you care about.

On Sunday you put on the fancy outfit, trek to church, and sit bored out of your mind while someone dribbles on about something you could care less about. The bishop gives you a smile and asks you how your are doing and never bothers you or asks creepy questions. He is just there to make sure the meetings go as planned.

What happened to those days? Seems everywhere I look these days its just a idiot parade.

Date: March 29, 2024 02:12PM

It's always been an idiot parade. We just hear more about it now. My mother was a rural southerner. When we would go down there to visit in the 1950s, one of the best forms of entertainment was tent revivals.

… Hot August night and the leaves hanging down
And the grass on the ground smelling sweet
Move up the road to the outside of town
And the sound of that good gospel beat
… Sits a ragged tent where there ain't no trees
And that gospel group telling you and me
… It's love, Brother Love say
Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show (part of the party)
Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies
And everyone goes
'Cause everyone knows Brother Love's show
… Room gets suddenly still and when you'd almost bet
You could hear yourself sweat, he walks in
Eyes black as coal and when he lifts his face
Every ear in the place is on him
… Starting soft and slow like a small earthquake
And when he lets go, half the valley shakes
… It's love, Brother Love say
Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show (part of the party)
Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies
And everyone goes
'Cause everyone knows 'bout Brother Love's show

Those tent revivals were a real thing back in the day. As for racism back then, there were bombings and assassinations, people murdered for registering black voters. Strom Thurmond ran for president in 1948 as a "Dixiecrat", winning 4 states. He tried to get Ezra Taft Benson as his VP candidate, but David O McKay nixed that idea. George Wallace ran as a segregationist in 1968, and won 5 states, very nearly throwing the election into the House of Representatives.

And of course there was good old Joe McCarthy.

There have always been crazies. What is new is the 24-hour cable news cycle where the talking heads need to find something to prattle on about for hours on end, and the internet, where the crazies can coalesce.

I do remember going off to play around the neighborhood all day long. The rule was that I was expected to head home when the street lights came on. In the summer, I was supposed to head home somewhere around 6 pm for supper. And nearly all students walked to school, even the ones a mile and a half away.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 07:29PM

I LOVE that Diamond song!
When I lived in Alabama, there were still signs of those revivals.
People are so needy and gullible.

Yes, it has always been an idiot parade. Comically, I didn't see it when I was convinced I was a "god in embryo."
I didn't see it because...I was marching along in the idiot parade. I probably still am, but at least I know it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 07:37PM

LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) is on the more conservative end of Lutheran and Protestant practice. I only know enough about it to know that it never interested me in the slightest.

Date: March 29, 2024 07:46PM

>> "Our independent women are more medicated, meddlesome, and quarrelsome than women need to be. Without connections to eternity delivered through their family, such women gain their meaning through their seeming participation in the global project." -- Scott Yenor

What a small-minded, insignificant man.

I was reading today about the female naval officer who masterminded the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips from Somali pirates, Michelle Howard. She became the Navy's first female four star admiral and was also elevated to the position of the Navy's vice-chief of staff (which I believe is the second highest position in the Navy.) I was also reading about two female generals (one Air Force and one Army) who were similarly accomplished.

It's a good thing that we have a lot of independent women. Our country would come to a grinding halt without them.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 07:46PM

The Wisconsin Synod makes the Missouri Synod look downright liberal. There are a couple even more conservative. I’m a lapsed members of the ELCA, we pretty much live and let live.

Date: March 29, 2024 07:49PM

Yes, I had a wonderful relationship with the people of the local ELCA Lutheran church while growing up. They hosted the Girl Scout troop of which I was a member. Lovely people.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 08:02PM

My troop met at my church. About 25% of our girls were Jewish. Pastor still walked in to greet us every week.

Date: March 29, 2024 08:24PM

When I lived in Dakotasota, the joke about LCMS was that they were so conservative that they were still mad that the services weren't in German anymore.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 02:17PM

No, he is not mormon. Here is a Yenor thread from 2021:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2405861

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 09:36PM

"Our independent women are more medicated, meddlesome, and quarrelsome than women need to be. Without connections to eternity delivered through their family, such women gain their meaning through their seeming participation in the global project."

"meddlesome, and quarrelsome" Really means to tell men no, to mind their own business and f off.

"connections to eternity delivered through their family" Really means be delivered of more children.

They don't want partners, equals. They want slaves with wombs.

Disposable ones.

They sure don't like having to support the women long term and support the children to at least age 18. Women have looked around and seen that if they want financial security for themselves and their children they damn well better get themselves educated and into decent paying jobs. Take care of their own retirement. Manage their own assets.

To some extent, men have created their own "beds" and they are now having to lie in them.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 02:13AM

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that conservatism is going on in Boise!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.