Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 07:00AM

I think it was calculated to make the announcements of wearing garments public. Looking at the comment sections on various LDS You Tube channels the TBM members are praising that temple recommend holders who aren’t living up to their temple covenants were publicly called out. Of course the church leadership hopes to create a peer pressure and shaming atmosphere in the church. Those who don’t fall in line will be singled out and shamed.

I saw lots of prideful statements from people who really think their temple activity will soon be rewarded by being chosen to help Jesus as he runs the world after his return. Another member said the leadership need to separate the sheep from the goats.

Conference has already stirred an elitist faction in the church to look down on those who aren’t as fanatical in their worship. Also these commenters complained about the young people in the church not being slack on their church values.

In short, this will only motivate the young people to leave or pack together and protest the church. The young people are smart. They aren’t going to take this crap. Their attitude is you will die soon and we will be running things soon enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 11:30AM

It's been a while since I checked out this discussion. This garment think brought back memories of one of the Bishop's counselors walking up to me to have a conversation, then patting me on the back, rubbing my neck, then feeling for the eternal smile. It was so creepy.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 12:39PM

They are finally learning. Give the members some nonsense to distract them from the church's real problems.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin no ( )
Date: April 27, 2024 05:05AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/mormon-church-multibillion-investment-fund-sec-settlement-rcna71603

When I was an active LDS member I didn't care who wore their garments and who did however I truly believed that the LDS church did the most on God's earth to help the poor.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 03:27PM

Yeah, Jesus shows up at Temple Square and after he is detained by church security for 3 hours, he holds a press conference to announce that the only people worthy to lead his Team Jesus are the ones wearing his brand of Jesus jammies underwear. No, his team couldn't possibly be people who help others, volunteer with shelters. Nope. Just a bunch of narrow minded people who look for the sure sign of temple garments.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 04:09PM

No matter which church denomination I have ever attended, not a single person has once even mentioned my underwear, never mind policed my choices!

Personal privacy. What a concept.

The bishop at the ward I attended blushed during one of our apparently mandatory little chats (overall very few) as he hesitantly edged around asking about personal stuff like all church leaders of every denomination do (NOT!!).

He was a convert too so maybe he could think back to a time when the world was normal and adults didn't question other adults about their personal and innermost lives. Just the thought of how out of line the Mormon way of leadership is embarrassed him.

Or so it seemed.

Because really. Not even with the JWs was I required to have regular meetings with leaders to question my private life. Not that they didn't keep a watchful eye on members but at least they didn't inquire about undergarment choices. Relationships, quite possibly, skirt lengths definitely, but at least they left you to make up your own mind about colour and style choices when it came to your underwear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2024 04:10PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 04:32PM

"after he is detained by church security for 3 hours"

Any bets on why he's detained?
My guess is--you know there are signs all over downtown SLC about not giving money to the homeless, or some bollocks like that...my guess is the Jesus gets charged with giving to the poor.

Then when he calls his lawyers at Kirton McConkie, they don't have any idea who he is.

Posted by: S. RichardBellrock ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 04:35PM

When they realize who he is, at the press conference welcoming him back, the press asks President Oaks if he's going to apologize for having the Lord arrested. Oaks stifles a chuckle and changes the subject.

Posted by: haines man. ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:01PM

unfortunately.

I used to be LDS.

I still wear white t-shirt/undershirt under dress/work shirt.

During break in deposition, opposing counsel, who I'm familiar with, and who is a stake president, couldn't contain himself.

As we were talking, he reached around my back and grabbed my t-shirt under my dress shirt with two fingers, pulled it up and to the side, so that he could see the tag.

"Haines" he muttered sadly.

I said - "You're really weird".

The court reporter said. "mormons are weird"

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:48PM

I admire your restraint.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:49PM

OMG. That is extremely weird. Hard to believe that an SP was that clueless about normal human boundaries.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:56PM

You've highlighted out a notable difference between mormon human boundaries and normal human boundaries...

If we could forge some kind of amalgamation, we could wind up with mormal human boundaries!!

Posted by: haines man ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:57PM

I've teased him about it a few times over the years.

In his defense, he can't believe he did it - looking back, and is embarrassed about it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 07:13PM

He should be embarrassed about that. OMG. I would never. lol

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 06:33PM

I told my wife to look at it from an outsiders view.

How in the world is it OK for another man to ask my wife about the kind of underwear she wears? It's NOT NORMAL. In fact it can get you a black eye, or worse.

Also, is their any other religion that requires you to wear required underwear, pay 10% of your income (gross?) to them, and swear allegiance to the church and promise to be willing to give all you have to it...in order to attend your own child's wedding.

It's absolutely bananas!

Date: April 16, 2024 06:38PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 07:02PM

Haines man--are you saying you were in a court proceeding with another lawyer (or legal professional)--with whom you apparently have, or had, an ecclesiastical relationship, and he pulled the underwear tag out? I'm assuming you wore a dress shirt, buttoned to the collar, a closed collar, and a tie? And he managed to get the underwear tag out?

I mean, really?...That's...something..."unwanted touching" = assault in very many cases.
That's something that can be brought up to the court supervisor or bar association for discipline. Imagine if this were done on a woman!

Date: April 16, 2024 07:27PM

Yes.

and yes - he had to reach behind my neck while standing in front of me and squeeze two fingers in between my shirt collar and skin, to pinch the undershirt and pull it up.

In my 20's I wasn't active and several times when talking with older "priesthood" holders - I'd be patted on the arm or chest in a way that was an obvious attempt to check for garments.

Lack of respect between two men.

Looking back on it now - I take the position that Mormon males - the real believers - see themselves as saviors in a way.

Trying to assess the worthiness/mindset of a young man by checking for garments is probably seen as a service.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 16, 2024 08:41PM

in the name of god.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 12:26AM

That was extremely unprofessional, not only rude/abusive
Mo leaders think they're celebs with 'special privileges', which explains a lot, supported by a (claimed) direct pipeline to the Almighty with the HG as a sort of side-car.

Lame excuses for a sorts of MoAbuse, is that clear to everyone?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 01:10AM

I am all for it. They need to separate the sheep from the goats! And I know just how to do it!

MAKE 'EM WEAR THOSE NASTY OLD ONE PIECERS! The nylon ones that would turn that lovely shade of yellow. Too much fabric to tuck in like the sinners do these days. Stick to you like wet Saran wrap if it was humid or if it was not freezing out. Bras on the outside ladies and guys, no ditching them at the gym. And of course, they must be worn during sex! It's the Lard's Way! It proves your dedication to your spouse too.

Date: April 17, 2024 01:58AM

And I’ve never SEEN them!

But that synthetic funk? No bueno.

Date: April 17, 2024 03:34AM

I can't find a link but think adult onesie with a slit in the crotch.

Date: April 17, 2024 04:31AM

But no slit in the crotch. There was a butt flap and buttons down the front.

When I was about 13, a friend invited me to go skiing, so my mom bought me this awful thing to wear under many, many layers. It was cotton, I think. I was sweating my ass off, peeing required taking off my jacket, sweater, turtleneck and the long johns. So embarrassing. But I had a great time.

Date: April 17, 2024 05:12AM

At least long johns are fitted. Think this, but sewn together, with a full cap sleeve. And baggy, way baggy. And remember, they went UNDER regular underwear/bra.

https://blog.mrm.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/FemaleTempleGarment.jpg

Date: April 17, 2024 11:37AM

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 12:32PM

When I was well on the way out, and my DW had accepted that this was inevitable, she realized how distressing it was for me to wear garments. She went to the store and bought me several sets of regular non-white underwear. I know that was incredibly difficult for her and extremely compassionate. This was one of several things my wife did for me that significantly lowered my anxiety that my leaving TSCC could blow up our marriage.

A few weeks before the above event, I was in my therapist's office. I told them, “… I still feel I need to wear these fucking Mormon undergarments with bastardized masonic symbols against my skin for my wife’s sake...” My therapist had little knowledge of what garments were. I think that was also the session I told her about the temple and stood up and demonstrated how everyone would pantomime their death in three different ways. That might have also been when she started to see that I may not be overreacting about the effect that 55 years Mormonism was having on me.

It is still extremely difficult for me to put on a white T-shirt, and well over a decade later, I can still count on one hand how many times I’ve put on a white shirt and white T-shirt for a formal event that requires one.

So yeah, I can see fully how controlling this new emphasis is on wearing garments.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 01:28AM

You've got a great wife, Mannaz!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 01:36AM

+1

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 02:51PM

Yes, I am very fortunate. It's good to see you here, Phantom Shadow—and as you know, I did marry up :-).

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 24, 2024 11:23PM

I check in now and then. You and your wife are both fortunate. Anyway, this is my take from a distance.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 06:32PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 01:44AM

Speaking as a neverMo, a church getting worked up about what underwear you put on is just odd. At what point do the TBMs nope their way out of that conversation?

Date: April 27, 2024 05:48AM

Posted by: ElohimTheOriginal ( )
Date: April 26, 2024 08:27PM

As Elohim...

I believe I shall inspire thy wrinkle-free, green-screen, AI assisted prophet to announce the following at the next General Conference:

In addition to the already sacred markings on the temple garment, there will now be the addition of the following:

The official church logo shall now be on every upper garment, rendered in black across the entire chest area, featuring the full name of the church, as well as the ever-present picture of Christ featuring His own sacred unclothed upper right torso.

This so all of us in the CK can shake with loud laughter at the irony of it all...

PS - it shall no longer be known as the Book of Mormon, but the Book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Nicknames are of Satan.

Date: April 27, 2024 05:52AM

Posted by: ElohimTheOriginal ( )
Date: April 26, 2024 08:41PM

One last thing -

By their Fruit of the Looms, Ye Shall Know Them.

Date: April 26, 2024 09:46PM

Woman in / near St. George who pulled down another females skirt

Let's hope it doesn't continue or get worse;

Sharia law, anyone?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 07:23PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Woman in / near St. George who pulled down another
> females skirt
>
> Let's hope it doesn't continue or get worse;
>
> Sharia law, anyone?

Why did she pull down the skirt?

Date: April 28, 2024 07:38PM

in or near St. George, UT; the perp told the skirt gal that she was indecent/obscene bc showing too much skin; see other thread here 'Enforcing Modesty in Public'

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 10:11PM

I hated life
Among Pharisees
Who counted their steps
And bent their knees

I'd've been happier
If unaware
Of Pharisaical
Underwear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2024 10:15PM by donbagley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.