Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:02PM

A co-worker just told me that she overheard someone in the office say that they just got a letter from COB telling the members that it is no longer a requirement for elders quorums to help people move. Her comment was: why do they need to be told everything in writing? Why don't they just use common sense. Ok, that made laugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:04PM

Top down organization. The bots will not move without commands from their overlords.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 04:51PM

"It is a weak man that needs to be commanded in all things." Storm Rider

Just a quote from someone, say ,,, from another board where I belive they would prefer you show your TR to participate.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:05PM

Guess we can't say Monson has just stuck with the status quo anymore eh? Just kidding...I know it isn't much but I'm not sold that this is legit yet...

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:07PM

Hey, if it is a real document, than TSCC is way more controlling than I ever ran into.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:24PM

I know they mentioned this specifically in the last leadership training session earlier this year, I have not seen or heard of a letter.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:48PM

Sounds to me like a backlash they are most likely getting from requiring the members to clean not only the ward houses now but the temples. Col. M.'s 87 yr. dad did it AGAIN last week, cleanred the temple, dressed in a white jump suit, complained to the Col. about not being able to find the proper stuff to clean the toilets, honest.

I'll bet they are thinkin' "We'll let them out of some neighbor to neighbor crap and require all they have to give be given to the church itself." Just maybe. They may just be getting the word that members are starting to burn out, or maybe even leave.

As well they know that most neighbors have made at least a few good friends that will freely offer to help, so why need it be a church responsibility?

In other words, "Go help your neighbors on your own time, it's one of the 10 commandments basically; but we are demanding you give the CHURCH any extra free time you may have that we need, because in the temple you promised you would, remember, or slit your throat ?"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 03:56PM by think4u.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 05:02PM

The direction from our Bishop after that training (that I skipped even though he sent us all an email saying that it was a commandment from God that we attend) was that the EQ was not to help with moves in or out unless it was a missionary opportunity.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 03:46PM

Maybe my ward got the memo, cuz I just moved after 23 active years in my ward (been out for six months), and no one called to offer their help. And, yes, they absolutely knew I was moving.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 04:22PM

Maybe they need more Elders in the janitorial duties.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 04:23PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 04:27PM

much less someone else!! i did it when i was younger for Allied Van lines....then after a day of that .....shoveled rocks for a clay tennis court...then went home and ate chili over rice and watermelon for desert!! .... this is all true.... but i was young and tough then....now i am old....and tough..... well not as much as when young!! :)

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 05:07PM

I never thought it was commandment for TBMs to help people move. In my time, I helped a few people and got some help, but I did it because I had the time and felt like helping. As for now, do you have cold beer or boat drinks?

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: July 21, 2011 06:24PM

Wait it was a REQUIREMENT for the Elders to help people move? I don't remember reading that REQUIREMENT in my priesthood handbook.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.