Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:03PM

"[This] means many of us have disobeyed the commandments of our prophets without even knowing it! . . .

"I call on the Honor Code Office to consider whether students who continue to order pork barbacoa should have a place at this university."

http://universe2.byu.edu/node/953

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 10:23PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 29, 2011 10:03PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 10:07PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:15PM

Please tell me this is a spoof!

This university student says:

"I call on the Honor Code Office to consider whether students who continue to order pork barbacoa should have a place at this university. Surely we cannot have students attending BYU who don’t think it’s important to follow the prophets. If students insist on eating pork barbacoa at Cafe Rio, they should cede their spot at this university to someone who is willing to be obedient, even when it doesn’t suit their carnal tastes."

Carnal for caffeine?!

There seems to be ongoing debate and the ever-present mo confusion about caffeine. As with so many other things, the Mormon prophet could clear it up in a NY minute. I truly believe they *want* people to be confused because they rarely, if ever, spell anything out in the first place or clarify matters like this.

It cannot be against the WoW to consume caffeine as it isn't listed anywhere as being a forbidden substance, is it? Nosy, misguided bishops ask you details about your sex life but how many ask if you're avoiding caffeine consumption?

Does this guy realize that he is likely consuming caffeine in various other substances? What's with boycotting the pork barbacoa if you're swigging a nightly cocoa?

Besides, Steve, didn't you tell us that one of the top tier guys has a nasty Coke habit? (Is it Monson?) (Or was it TLC who spilled on that?)

Looks like if this guy really wanted to follow the prophet/s, he'd be bellying up to the pork bar and asking for extra sauce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 10:17PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:09PM

Looks like a spoof to me. Some subtle or not so subtle sarcasm.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:16PM

Date: July 29, 2011 10:17PM

. . . when you click on the following to supposedly submit a letter to the Daily Universe online, it says the page cannot be found: http://universe.byu.edu/letters

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 10:22PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:18PM

A funny spoof, but definitely a spoof.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:28PM

You just can't get away from the pervasiveness of evil. It's even in your barbecue! You want to live the commandments. You want to do the right thing...and then some tool of Satan sneaks caffeinated Coca Cola into your favorite barbecue menu item.

So there you are doing everything you can to keep the Word of Wisdom. You didn't order the unsweetened, organic green tea beverage because you didn't want to break the Word of Wisdom. Instead, you did the right thing and ordered the 1/2 gallon triple-thick chocolate milkshake with Oreo bits and marshmallows. But then, without knowing what Satanic subterfuge sneakily awaits you, you order the barbecue special platter with potato chips and a brownie on the side. Without your knowledge or permission, they have given you a barbecue straight from Beelzebub's kitchen to your stomach and you have brought unworthiness into your physical temple.

Is it any wonder some of these kids can't feel the spirit? Is it any wonder some of the young BYU couples feel like they aren't learning anything in the temple? They've been tripped up by tainted barbecue.

This is the sad reality facing the faithful today, folks. How many other foods out there are sabotaging the spirit? How many secret recipes are out there that use cooking wine, without making full disclosure for the benefit of devout Mormons? Sadly, it's probably much more common than we dare think.

My advice to the youth of the Church is to stick to what you know. Don't buy exotic soda pops. Stick to the standard fruit-flavored versions -- your grape Nehi, orange Crush and the like. Don't try strange new fast food menu items. Standard Krispy Kreme donuts, MacDonald's Big Mac, the Booger King Whopper, the Pizza Butt Pizza, the Taco Smell tacos are some tried-and-true food items that will not jeopardize your temple worthiness.

I'm afraid the LDS Church is going to have to adopt a system like the Kosher certification system used by Jewish organizations. It could be called the Wowsher certificataion ("WOW" for Word of Wisdom and "sher" as in "fer sher it's compliant with the Word of Wisdom"). It seems drastic, but it's the only way we can protect our kids from the demonic sauces and other wicked food snares out there in this awful world.

Posted by: Gullible's Travel's ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:41PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 08:54PM

Ditto on the applesauce....er... I mean applause.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 09:10PM

AWESOME Gospel Dacktrin, you nailed it!

Anagrammy

Posted by: biggame ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:48AM

This is a spoof, I have dealt with way to many students at BYU that have this attitude about caffeine. I really don't know how they make it through life.

It is no wonder "us" mormons are so depressed. Worrying about stuff like this is common place because we must be perfect to make it to the big CK.

Ridiculous!

Posted by: batidaforte ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 03:23AM

a quick facebook search of scott gale and we have some mutual friends and now i recall having met scott before. Unless the past 3 years at YBU reprogrammed his morgbot chip, this is definitely a spoof. but i'll find out more.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 09:05PM

This subject showed up on another blog. A commenter highlighted the CARNAL aspect, and then asks a question:

"If students insist on eating pork barbacoa at Cafe Rio, they should cede their spot at this university to someone who is willing to be obedient, even when it doesn’t suit their CARNAL tastes."

(Commenter's bolding.)

"Ahhh...what, exactly, are they doing with this pork barbacoa? Is this like the possibly apocryphal 'Intra-vaginal Hooters Atomic Wings' story?"

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 11:13AM

Posted by: fatuesday ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 11:02PM

Posted by: kiribati ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 01:52AM

that is a great letter. Funny thing is, Coke in pork is why I quit buying it at Cafe Rio.

My sister did an experiment in high school with Coke. I got so grossed out by what she did with it, I quit drinking it.

When I learnt that Cafe Rio used it, I quit buying the barbacoa.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:22AM

Back when the Universe was fun to read and most of the letters to the editor began with "I am shocked and apalled!".

Posted by: anon1236 ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 01:41PM

it's a cache of older content.

http://universe2.byu.edu/node/955
http://universe2.byu.edu/node/954
http://universe2.byu.edu/node/953 <-- pork story
http://universe2.byu.edu/node/952
http://universe2.byu.edu/node/951
http://universe2.byu.edu/node/950

not to say whoever wrote the letter had don so tongue in cheek, but at least the service is valid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.