Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:04AM

Apparently Utah can't let its adults decide for themselves what they want to watch on tv. They must control anything that is deems too risque. Heaven forbid it might make the men masturbate. Can't have that now, can we? Geez.

"One NBC affiliate, in Salt Lake City, has already said it will not broadcast the show but NBC says it does not expect others to follow."

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/gloria-steinem-hopes-tv-boycott-playboy-club-202955982.html?nc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:12AM

Oh geez! The NBC station here in Boise boycotted God the Devil and Bob because they thought it mocked god. I haven't heard they are refusing to air this one, but figure the announcement could come any day.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:23AM

I'm looking forward to watching that show.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:36AM

I read somewhere that Gloria Steinem is also asking for it to be boycotted.

I don't know if I care oen way or the other.
WhenI was a pre-teen there was a show brocast on the higher end of the UHF band. It was awesome, cool bands and entertainers. No Bunnies that I remember, but I was there for the music.

Posted by: Feminist ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:32PM

I admit when I've seen the previews for this show I've thought this is NBC's attempt to do something like Mad Men. If I thought for one minute this show would be an accurate representation of the PLayboy Club and what women had to endure in the early 1960s, I would support it. But, I highly doubt that. I strongly encourage you to read Gloria Steinum's essay "I Was a PLayboy Bunny," in the book "Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions." While you are at it, read "If Men Could Menstruate," it's hysterical! Anyway, if you read the essay about her experience as a playboy bunny you would not think it is appropriate to make a light television show about that experience.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:46AM

She took the job in order to trash the club. That was her intent, so her evaluation/report would not be considered unbiased.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:45PM

...never when it moved from the NBC Salt Lake KUTV liberal affiliate to the Mormon-owned KSL.

Didn't they hate "Murphy Brown" too?

Do you think they'd ever take off a violent show? Nah. But one with sex? Of course.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:01AM

and they are shooting two versions, one for NBC and one for DVD.

Posted by: feminist ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:13AM

She (Steinum) took the job to expose the sexism and harassment that the bunnies endured in that job. I wish the series would expose that aspect, but more and more modern media is encouraging young women to participate in their own objectification. After all, if you point out that NBC's "The Playboy Club" is a glitzy, glorification of women's oppression, you are seen as "so serious," and "no fun." An ad for the show ran tonight where a young woman made a reference to buying her own house and car. I'm sure they won't include storylines about how women were denied credit cards and homes because banks could simply not give them to them because they were women. Yes, it is true! It was perfectly legal to refuse to finance a home or issue a credit card to a woman because she was single! Luckily, I don't think it is going to be a very good show so boycott or not I don't see it lasting.

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:46AM

Another trashy show.....can we stop already? Something with some intelligence sprinkled in would be a novel idea.

Posted by: Me2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 03:51AM

I couldn't agree with you more, "meagain@40". There is so much crap on television. And one of the saddest parts about this, aside from polluting our youth with violence, unrestrained sexuality and criminality in abundance, is that we spew this filth all over the world as the "image" of America. The only view other countries might have about America, is the garbage television we produce.

No wonder some call us "The Great Satan".

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 08:13AM

You're right. I wonder what people in other countries think when they see Jerry Springer, Jersey Shore, Real Housewives of Wherever...etc...

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:54AM

Me2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn't agree with you more, "meagain@40".
> There is so much crap on television. And one of
> the saddest parts about this, aside from polluting
> our youth with violence, unrestrained sexuality
> and criminality in abundance, is that we spew this
> filth all over the world as the "image" of
> America. The only view other countries might have
> about America, is the garbage television we
> produce.
>
> No wonder some call us "The Great Satan".

I couldn't agree more nor have said it better.

out

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 06:34AM

Amongst my first HT assignments were a couple of converts
He was a small business owner who's seen off protection racketeers .... she was a former Bunny Girl (London Club, obviously).
Me, an 18 Yr old virgin and a 60 yr old HP as their HT's

I suppose it made sense, somewhere, somehow

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 07:40AM

So a boycott by me wouldn't be noticed.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:42AM

you mean there are ppl who actually still watch national network tv?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 07:54PM

Letterman's on CBS. ;-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:48AM

I wonder why she took that job ?

Methinks she doth protest too much.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:57AM

I wonder which demographic was targeted for/by this show....

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:51PM

was starring in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.