Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:02PM

According to a temple worker, about ten feet of one of the spires broke off and landed on the ground, and the Moroni statue on top was severely damaged. That's all the news I have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:04PM

"WASHINGTON D.C. -- The earthquake that rattled the Washington area earlier today also caused some minimal damage to the Washington, D.C. LDS temple.

"According to Don Olson, director of the temple's visitor center, the tips of four spires broke off and came tumbling down. Each was approximately 4 feet long.

"At least one spire actually caused damage to the temple's facade, taking out a chunk of the granite surface on its way down.

"No one was hurt, however, as a result of the damage.

"Olson called the quake a 'pretty healthy shake,' but said there was no serious internal damage to the temple of which he was aware."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=16937670

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 07:08PM by steve benson.

Posted by: No1Special ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 12:41AM

So, does this mean it's Jewish now?

Posted by: max ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:09PM

God must not care too much for his houses....

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:10PM

Posted by: nevermokhouria ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:53PM

i'm wondering about that because the national cathedral in washington sustained damage as well.

then again, it wasn't built for an earthquake.

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:10PM

Too bad it didnt destroy the whole building

Posted by: True Christian ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:50PM

Spoken like the loving person you must be!

Posted by: Grey ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:52PM

I wish every temple would fall to the ground in an "act of god".

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 12:51AM

I agree with AM and you, Grey....we don't like to see people fooled and for fraud to go on and on and on.

Date: August 23, 2011 11:14PM

So with all the other sarcastic comments on here by people who I'm sure share the same distaste of those temples as I do, I actually say what's on my mind and you want to attack me for it? Good name, True Christian is right.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 12:18AM

Yeah christians are bad but true christians are way worse. ;-)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:53PM

>damage to the temple's facade, taking out a chunk of the granite surface on its way down<

The facade is marble, not granite. You can't trust a Mormon spokesman about anything.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:00PM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:03PM

I hope jesus bought some insurence.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:55PM

The spire.. or moroni's trumpet .. ended up in his buttcrack.

Posted by: roz ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 10:34PM

Since the National Cathedral took more damage, I guess that must mean God hates Catholics the most, now that the Germans killed all the Jews. Or maybe He just wanted to shake up all the Pee Tardiers for @##%@*% up the economy. Or bury alive all the Obamans before they make the real Christians actually help the poor, elderly, or foreigners. Come on, people; get a life. Before I find myself becoming just like you.

Posted by: Baptist Nevermo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 10:57PM

I think the National Cathedral is actually an Episcopal church, not Catholic.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:03PM

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:08PM

It's a shame it was damaged. That's a magnificent piece of architecture.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:21PM

Well, cut God some slack -- I know he heart Episcopalians, but this might have confused him:

http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/in-the-know/36-news/5809-jon-huntsmans-daughter-weds-at-national-cathedral

"An Episcopal ceremony was performed by the dean of the cathedral, the Very Rev. Samuel T. Lloyd III. The Huntsmans are Mormon."

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:12AM

Yes, the National Cathedral is Espicopalian (I can never pronounce that right). But there is also a Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception which is Catholic. It's an awesome building, much more elaborate than the Natl Cathedral. Has a big dome and a bunch of little side chapels with different styles of Mary in them ... an African one, a Chinese one, a Vietnamese one and so on.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 12:54AM

Before the real Christians actually help the poor, roz???? Boy are you living under a rock.

Posted by: roz ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:14AM

Actually, Mormons do indeed help the poor, as well as victims of earthquakes, sunamis, floods, etc. But Mormons aren't really Christians then, are they?

And yes, the National Cathedral is Episcopalian. I'm just trying to say that mocking anyone's religious beliefs or sacred buildings or symbols is more a reflection of his/her intolerance and ignorance and does no one any good, nor does it promote the world's view of who and what we are. (Oh, that's right; we're Amuricans. We don't care what anybody thinks. We're much better than everyone else, and just wish all those foreigners would just go home where they belong.) Would you not consider crude jokes concerning the Cross, for instance, to be in poor taste? Or would you find the person who told them to be witty and bright?

Oh, and the Mormons will likely repair their Temple without any need of a "restore the temple fund", although, if you'll notice, the Wash. Cathedral is already soliciting donations to cover repairs. Sorry I don't have a joke for that one.

Date: August 24, 2011 02:53AM

Hi roz, and welcome to the board. I take it you are new, as a search on "roz" yields only this thread, plus a bunch of references to Prozac (smile).

I saw the humor in the hypothetical added line on the tithing slip being mostly that those lines in the past have proliferated with such things as the Perpetual Education Fund and the like. Year after year there are more and more lines.

You do have a point at how quickly the National Cathedral website put a big "Make a Gift Now" button at the top of their page. In fact, I am kind of shocked that when you hit the main link which I will type below, notice that it jumps you to a different url, you can't even get to their original homepage.

http://www.nationalcathedral.org

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 10:46PM

Driving with several people in the car, we actually didn't feel anything and were surprised to hear it on the news.

Now there will be a "restore the temple fund" on the tithing slips.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:55AM

I live in the DC suburbs and was VERY aware of the earthquake. I was in the grocery store there was loud rumbling, products off the shelves in every aisle, and the floor actually rippled like water. I would not care to experience that again.

I came home to find a lot of things on the floor but no real damage at our house. The news was on EVERY local station all afternoon reporting even the most minor damage. Yet I never heard a word about the DC temple until just now. Very strange. There was a lot about the cathedral. And there was a lot about a bldg that is less than 3 miles from our house in Vienna. Nothing about the temple though.

I think that people just don't think about the temple around here.

Posted by: thinkingoutloud ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 03:40AM

I think it sad that anyone is so petty they rejoice in the misfortunes of others. I hope all of the people are safe, and that the LDS temple and the Episcopalian's National Cathedral, plus the other beautiful building in the DC area are quickly repaired. They are both lovely buildings, designed for the same purpose, to honor God. Maybe we could honor Him, too, by treating one another kindly even if we don't agree with their doctrine. We do not enlarge ourselves by tearing others down. Christ never did that in his interactions. The only thing close was the money changers, and even then, it was not with malice. You know you are not in alignment with God's teachings when you are full of hate and contention. Build, not destroy. Buildings and hearts.

Posted by: FamilyFirst ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 04:44AM

thinkingoutloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it sad that anyone is so petty they
> rejoice in the misfortunes of others. I hope all
> of the people are safe, and that the LDS temple
> and the Episcopalian's National Cathedral, plus
> the other beautiful building in the DC area are
> quickly repaired. They are both lovely buildings,
> designed for the same purpose, to honor God.
> Maybe we could honor Him, too, by treating one
> another kindly even if we don't agree with their
> doctrine. We do not enlarge ourselves by tearing
> others down. Christ never did that in his
> interactions. The only thing close was the money
> changers, and even then, it was not with malice.
> You know you are not in alignment with God's
> teachings when you are full of hate and
> contention. Build, not destroy. Buildings and
> hearts.

I think I just developed type two diabetes reading your reply. Oh how sickening sweet.

Who the heck are you to decide who is out of alignment and harmony with God? Are you God's spoke person and who are you to judge any one here? You preach against judgment by judging others, bugger off already!

The majority of people here have felt betrayed by God by having a CULT introduced into their lives as the ONE and the ONLY Real true church of Jesus Christ.

If people want to be angry, it's their right, it is part of the healing process not some kumbahyaya my lord song sung with a bunch of animal farm propoganda slogans designed to put an individual to sleep.

By the way toots, Jesus called the hypocritical religious leaders at his time to be nothing more than walking graves, full of dead men bones, he said that they had little to no chance to make it to heaven and probably would go to hell, he called them a generation of vipers...posionous snakes

so take your little 'can't we all get along' gospel and go elsewhere. we had enough of the LDS cult mind control baloney and to quote the great prophet, The Who, "We ain't gonna take it.'

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 04:48AM

Try thinking silently.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 04:48AM

By this logic then pretty much every major religion in the world is not in alignment with god's teachings. Well... I actually agree with that...

All hail the FSM! He who says that all religions are silly and it's great fun to mock them, but don't forget that whatever you believe is just as likely to be wrong as whatever they believe, so we should all just mock each other and not take everything so bloody seriously.

As for the posters who were "rejoicing in the misfortune of others" I think they were just finding it amusing that a natural disaster took a few shots at a temple, since the MorgBots like to go on and on with their faith-promoting stories about how hurricanes leveled whole cities while leaving meeting houses perfectly intact, and how people fell off ten story buildings and were saved by their garments and other such nonsense. It's more a matter of saying, "Ha! You're not special!" than it is about wanting others to suffer. Also, I base none of my daily actions on what Christ did because I don't believe in him. Neither do a lot of posters here. You raise a valid point in that it's always a good thing to be kind to one another, but then you get all religious about it and non-believers just sorta tune you out.

Date: August 24, 2011 04:50AM

Hate to break it to ya, but god is nothing more than imaginary friend.

Date: August 24, 2011 05:14AM

Nobody was injured. So I don't hear anyone "rejoicing in the misfortune of others" (though a little schadenfreude once in a while might be understandable on a *recovery* site, which this is).

I'm guessing the cost of putting those lightning rods back up, more securely, on the LDS temple won't be that expensive.

The first two posts in this thread were very dispassionate, just passing along news reports, which was helpfully informative.

One poster later on was over-the-top, if I read it without background knowledge of the extortion of tithing money for temple recommends, etc, and general fraud, but honestone very pithily supplied that context.

This is irrelevant, but given the church's racist history, I had to smile when a couple years ago in Utah a lightning strike blackened the face of Moroni.

You used the word "contention". That is mormonspeak, like the notion that we leave the church because we are "offended".

People on this site have been incredibly helpful at extracting me from a brainwashing cult, and are anything but "petty".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.