Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 01:20AM

Guaranteed better than semi-annual LDS Conference, our annual Fall/Winter Lecture series resumes in October. Past director of the Utah State Historical Society Dr. Mel Smith will review of the book "The Mormon Rebellion" by David L. Bigler and Will Bagley. Historian Mel Smith is well know for his objective and knowledgeable presentations. Needless to say, Mormon apologists appear not happy Biglers and Bagley's research.

Why would a peace loving Christian people be forcibly and brutally expelled from their communities? What were the theocratic ambitions of Mormon leaders and its Prophet/ Secretary of War Joseph Smith? Sidney Rigdon's "Salt Sermon" speech and intolerance toward dissenters. How did the sacred Temple Oath to avenge the blood of its leaders play into Mormonism's Mormonism's religious extremism. Reviewing the new book "The Mormon Rebellion" Mel Smith presents new perspectives to the colliding relationship between Mormonism and its neighbors.

The presentation will be Sunday, October 2nd at the new Lexington Hotel, 850 So. Bluff Street St. George, Utah.

Refreshments will be served, come and meet like minded people.

For information contact skeptic soutpostmormons@hotmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Free ride to the Top n/t ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:20PM

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:15AM

What time on Sunday?

Date: September 28, 2011 04:58PM

Thanks onendagus,

The lecture will be at 2 PM. Hope to get to meet you.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:46PM

Mel Smith's name came up at the group Bigler presented at that I reported on; he's been a long-time member, and I had hoped to give him my regards but he wasn't present. He is another giant in the area of objective Utah and Western history.

This is a narrative describing conditions in Utah as Alfred Cumming took over the terretorial governorship from Brigham Young. From Pg.308 of "The Mormon Rebellion":

>One of the first, Samuel Ramsden, an English survivor of the 1856 Handcart Disaster, possibly put his finger on why so few women took advantage of the opportunity Cumming offered to escape from Utah [Cabbie Editorial note: Early in 1855, approximately 100 Mormon women left Utah for California with soldiers under the command of Colonel Edward J. Steptoe]. He said that one of Milo Andrus's many wives had questioned the righteousness of the marriage dogma and planned to leave. Young reportedly replied that "the only way to save the sister's soul was to cut her throat." She fell on her knees and begged for her life, he said, but Andrus took her by her hair and "while she was thus on her knees, cut her throat from ear to ear, and held her thus until her body ceased quivering." True or not, the widely circulated story of the early doctrine of blood atonement was believable to those who heard it and surely discouraged all but the bravest women from taking Cumming's promise of protection."

>Members of another party that month said that thousands did not want to go south but were compelled to. Women were "forced from their husbands and driven from the city at the point of the bayonnet," some said. A Mr. Yancy from Tennessee said that his wife was taken from him against his will and "marched off south while Governor Cumming was in Salt Lake City." On 16 May, Cummming reached Camp Scott with several wagons filled with men and women. Some of them said that Young laughed his successor to scorn and declared the new governor "unfit to take care of even himself, let alone the people of the territory.' according to Captain Albert Tracy. Another column of dissenters enered the army post ten days later. "Wagons, carts, oxen, ponies, people and all--a sad and povertry stricken lot--the whole of them," Tracy said. (footnoted)

Date: September 29, 2011 06:45PM

SL Cabbie,
Very much appreciate the review, I'm looking even more forward to Mel Smith's presentation. Bigler and Bagley's research is also supported with simular accounts from DMQ's research. Makes one appreciate the march on the Utah Territory.

BTW, I had to work on a Federal Incident in Idaho over 911 rememberance so did did not make the turn over of the MMM. Hope you were able to make it down.

Best- SoUtSkeptic

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 02:08AM

Will actually offered me a chance to ride down with him and spend some time; my loss unfortunately...

Let's give this one another free cab ride to the top...

Date: October 01, 2011 09:06PM

One of my direct ancestors took frequent part in the raiding of the US Wagon trains heading for Utah. Lot Smith got most of the press but my ancestor was right there with him and is actually mentioned in most of the histories as well.

Strange how I used to be so proud of what he did and now I have a conflicted feeling toward it. I guess they were doing what they believed in but it still makes me cringe when I consider that rather than a hero, I really have a treasonist for a relative. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Two other relatives show up on the list of Danites in Michael Quinn's book.

Date: October 02, 2011 12:21PM

Anyone want to Carpool from Las Vegas area for this? I'm leaving in about an hour. mebacougar@gmail.com

Way better than GC!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.