Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 02:55PM

Last night I had the worst nightmare I think I've ever had. I've had weird dreams before in the past too. When I was 10 I dreamt one of my older brothers tried shoving our grandma in the oven. When I was pregnant I dreamt I was breastfeeding our dog. Really weird dreams.

Last night I dreamt my younger brother and his wife were chasing me and one of my sisters. We were on a roof and my SIL fell off and died. My brother comes at me with a knife and I stab him in the heart. And I really make sure it's in there, which is the part that bothers me the most. I can actually remember the knife in my hand trying to shove it in. *Shudder*. Me and my sister lay him down and by now I'm just terrified and SO sad and I take his hand and I hold onto it really tight and I ask him, "Does it hurt?" And I am feeling so guilty that I'm causing him pain. He tells me, "No, I'm already gone. I'm already gone."

The rest of the dream (from what I vaguely remember) consisted of me crying, looking for my sister, and crying with my dad wondering how the hell I was going to tell him that I killed my brother.

All day today I've felt like I'm some horrible person. Where does a dream like that come from?? I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and to stop feeling guilty! It's really bothering me. Please tell me I am not the only crazy person here with insane dreams :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 03:02PM

Dreams are not wishful thinking. Dreams are not a premonition of things to come. Dreams are just dreams. They are the mind's way of dealing with stress. They have more to do with what happened during the day before than anything else. Did you have a bad day? Are you under stress? To many items on your to-do list and not enough hours to finish them? Did you watch a disturbing movie or TV program recently? Or is it simply too much spicy Thai food?

Don't read too much between the lines of your dreams. Don't dwell on them. And, NO, you're not crazy!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:16PM

nebularry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Don't read too much between the lines of your
> dreams. Don't dwell on them. And, NO, you're not
> crazy!!

YES!! Exactly!! They are NOT literal either.
It will pass. Just let it go as rumblings of your sleeping mind mixing things up.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 03:12PM

It sucks that dreams can sometimes feel like reality. I have a few that I remember as if they had actually happened. The good new is that it doesn't mean anything, and you're not crazy for fratricidal dreaming.

Science doesn't have a clear understanding of why we dream, but there are several theories. I prefer to think of dreams as a mechanism in which our brains collate and correlate information. I don't think it has any deep meaning, and I certainly don't think one - or even several - disturbing dreams is in any way indicative of a personality disorder. I'm sure you're fine.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 03:30PM

In the Victorian era, many many used puppies to toughen up their nipples before babies were born.

I agree with nubularry- Dreams are (usually) just dreams. Killing your brother in a dream doesn't mean you are harboring a subconcious desire to do so. It could mean a million different other things or it might not mean anything at all. In your dream, your brother could represent someone or something else entirely.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 06:23PM

Those dreams are about conflict and facing unimaginable things. We have unconscious fears about ourselves and the world that come out in dreams in symbolic form. We harbor fears about the tension between being both animal and human, compassionate and aggressive, faithful and sexual.

Dreams are disturbing because they present scenes of things we repress and fear. God, I've had a dream about having sex with my sister--and we're both straight. Because it would probably be the worst thing imaginable.

Dreams don't mean you're a bad person or that you're secretly wanting to do these things. The brain processes ethical conflicts, moral conflicts, fears, etc through symbolic dreams.

I just might not share that particular dream with your brother (and I wont ever share the one I had with my sister).

Posted by: CocoaDee ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:03PM

I HAD A DREAM I KILLED MY BROTHER AND I WOKE UP CRYING REALLY AFRAID I LOVE MY BROTHER SO MUCH I WASNT EVEN HAVE A BAD DAY. I CANT BELIEVE THAT I COULD EVER DREAM SOMETHING SOO BAD TO SOMEONE I LOVE, I REALLY HOPE IT DONT MEAN ANYTHING

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 08:18PM

Having really crazy, bad dreams can be a sign of a health problem. Have you had a good physical lately?

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 08:30PM

I find I have really insane dreams when I'm on certain medications and also sometimes when I'm taking vitamins.

I've never killed anyone in my dreams, but I have dreamed of having sex with a family member that really, really, really creeped me out for days. *shudder*

Posted by: butterflyvenom ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 08:33PM

I don't have any advice to give, just another perspective. I am also a very vivid dreamer. In my most potent dreams I remember smells and touch, and the smallest visual details such as the pattern on a shirt that someone was wearing. This makes everything seem all the more real and can be quite unnerving.

I agree with the opinion that dreams come from stress. I tend to have the most vivid dreams when I am under stress. For me, most of the time they mean nothing and do have a lot to do with what I experienced the day prior or particular stressors going on in life.

A recent dream I had was about someone trying to break into my home. The person was someone I know and I could spend a half hour describing all of the specific details down to the way the light was casting onto objects. It was so real that I woke up in the middle of the night on high alert and had to search my entire home before I could relax back to sleep. It meant nothing, but had come after a particularly stressful day.

Dreams have been more than that for me though. A couple years ago I had an extremely detailed and very upsetting dream that my husband was cheating on me with another woman while we were dating. He essentially deemed me undesirable and broke up with me. A few months later I accidently stumbled onto evidence that he was hooking up with other men. While something was certainly feeling a little off about our relationship, I chalked it up to a busy work schedule and hectic life and would have never in a million years guessed he was up to that kind of mischief.

While I don't believe a supernatural power sent me that particular dream to warn me, blah blah blah, I do believe that subconsciously I was picking up on subtle cues that some kind of cheating was going on. I think dreaming was my way of putting pieces together, even though it wasn't entirely accurate. I have had other similar experiences at various times in my life. I have come to the conclusion that sometimes my mind uses vivid dreams to help me process painful information about myself and others.

However, most of the time they mean nothing, regardless of how real they seem.

Posted by: Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 10:51AM

Hey i was dreaming i killed my brother the thing was i couldnt control myself and im only 12 years old. my brother is going to be gone for a long time 1 month but for a 12 year old its a very long time. please tell me if im crazy or just if i want to kill my brother

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 11:42AM

It can be very unsettling to have disturbing dreams and that feeling can linger throughout the day, maybe even two or three days.

But, think of it this way: a terrible dream in which you killed a family member really upset you... of course that would be disturbing! Your feelings of upset are perfectly normal to have!

I'd be worried if you *didn't* get upset after having a dream like that.

Posted by: A Panda ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 05:03PM

kejasmdhulijke,amsz4efkjcoewikshrnf uie5jrdyhtjgm8754uijkrd,mhjtg8m5uirjkyfhgnfm8vyi5urjkdtfhtnvi84yutjrdfhntg y7vurjdtmfyghnvuyrjd5mrfyhgtjn8viu6fmhtn8ygiujkr5mhrtn7guyj54eydrht87fuik4jeydhj5tr7ifu54erdyht78fuirjkyhftj7uigk5rdythrft7ugjf4y5rhtfi8y7utjg5yrh7utjk5ryhfj8tuijfk45eujfiykgr5dufjyt
iasejdfkcjwe,maszhNUDIjkmqwheasnr

r;osldrifk2loikw3e,sudrjfmi r4kmend cxfnyjwe dbxahcjwnersdh

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 05:47PM

A Panda Wrote, in part:
---------------------
> ...r;osldrifk2loikw3e,sudrjfmi r4kmend cxfnyjwe
> dbxahcjwnersdh
============================

Hey, I never knew mormons were into speaking in tongues!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 01:31PM by Doxi.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 12:17AM

Were you cold when you woke up?
I find that my most intense dreams/nightmares happen when the covers have slipped off, or been stolen from me in the night.

I read a hypothesis somewhere that dreaming serves to keep our brains warm when we're asleep.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 12:23AM

It could mean you're causing a major change of thinking in your brother, killing off old ideas. Maybe you'll lead him out of the church.

Posted by: old post ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 12:35AM

Old post check the dates; revived by the troll.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.